• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Bahai's

Monat

Does anyone know any famous people that were bahai's. The only ones I can think of are the guys from Seals & Crofts and Malietoa Tanumāfili II of Samoa (if being royalty counts as being famous).

arthra

Baha'i
Queen Marie of Romania was certainly considered a Baha'i by us...

Dizzy Gillespie and other entertainers...Phil Lucas among others.

Carole Lombard the movie star

Count Leo Tolstoy corresponded with Baha'is and thought very highly of the Faith

as did August Forel

Some may not know this but Jay Silverheels who played "Tonto" with the Lone Ranger was a Baha'i

Ditero Suzuki's wife was a Baha'i and the wife of Sri Aurobindo met Abdul-Baha in Paris

The wife of William Randolf Hearst was a Baha'i

Kahlil Gibran drew a sketch of Abdul-Baha and was very impressed by Him ...

There's also a list of Appreciations of the Baha'i Faith written by pretty notable people at

http://bahai-library.com/index.php5?file=appreciations_bahai_faith

Popeyesays

Danny Seals the country music star (younger brother of Jimmy Seals of Seals and Crofts went to save Jimmy from a 'cult' and became Baha`i instead)Buffy St. Marie, the folk singer.Guy Murchie, philosopherCharles Wolcott, the composer winner of three academy awardsVic Damone, Jazz vocalist,James Moody, jazz saxophonistDoc Holliday, jazz baritone saxophonist,Red Grammar who does a lot of music for childrenMarc Ochu the classical pianistLasse Thoreson renowned as the most impressive Norwegian composer since GriegRussel Garcia, composer and arranger for Hollywood film including The Time Machine in 1960Omid Jalili who played Nasim on the Whoopie Goldberg comedy showO. Z. Whitehead the film actor who was one of the major supporting actors in The Grapes of Wrath with Henry Fonda.Alex Rocco, The Godfather, The Wedding Planner, etc.Carol Lombard, actress and wife of Clark GableLloyd Haines the star of the old TV series Room 222Cathy Freeman, medal winner in running 2000 Olympics.Khalil Greene, shortstop for the San Diego PadresRobert hayden first black American poet to be appointed Consultant on poetry to the Library of Congress (a title which would later be Poet Laureate of the United States)Roger White, poetMaya Katherin Bonhoff, fantasy novelistJuliet Thompson, diarist and playwright and portrait artist, author of I, MagdaleneThomas Kelly Cheyne, Biblical Scholar and authorKevin Locke, renowned Lakota hoop dancer and musicianMark Tobey, Duffy Sheridan, Sarah Hatch paintersSuheil Bushruhi, activist, professor holds Baha`i Chair for World Peace at the University of MarylandLidia Zamenhof, daughter of the creator of Esperanto and renowned translator, she died in the Holocaust.http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_bahai.html Adherents dot com was unable to find a famous Baha`i web page so made their own.Regards,Scott

arthra

Baha'i
I had the privilege of listening to Jay Silverheels at a World Religion Day event many years ago... He was much more impressive in real life than on TV.

If you'll recall even from the TV series he had a very fine deep voice and I was very moved when he spoke that day...

See a site dedicated to his work:

http://nimst.tripod.com/cgi-bin/UC9.html

- Art