• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Scientists On The Possibility Of God

David T

Premium Member
Found an interesting article on the matter -

12 Famous Scientists On The Possibility Of God

I like this from Einstein:

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the Mysterious.

Have a good one!
That certainly is a subjective. Now many understand it as this creature does:
download (9).jpg

Often times expressed as such
dana-carvey-as-church-lady-yahoo-video-screenshotjpg-14114a22e3225fb2.jpg

So I personally find it to be a bit more of a vision of mother nature
mother_of_nature_by_westfear-d4o8ud9.jpg

Sung by Eddie vedder in the video" hard sun "

It's just different ways to express to the Mysterious . Really science is way ivory tower dull for me not really hmmmmm meaty. But Eddie is wearing a lab coat so it might be scientific!!! Based on RF. logic.

My vision is for adults only, that's why it's rare.

" 40 days and 40 nights and it's still coming down me" Christians get real, you are way too Penn state father son father son father son oh and holy spirit nonsense For me. Jesus would be extremely annoyed by it. And Eddie frames it correctly as it is understood in the text. The Holy spirit works in mysterious ways even the father will admit this. He is not an idiot just his sons are!!

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It's interesting how many of them were skeptical of the concept of a personal God or flat-out disbelieved in such. Also, the first two were from an era before most scientific advancements, so are perhaps not very representative.

But, yes, the feeling of awe and wonder is at the heart of any real science.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
There are plenty of theists and deists who are entirely comfortable with, if not enthusiastically supportive of, scientific knowledge. Why would we deem the notions of a scientist more authoritative than that of, e.g., a philosopher?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I find myself noticing how wide a spectrum theism covers, and how little remark that width of stances tends to receive.

As for the 12 scientists (which are not necessarily representative by any given criteria, it must be noted), let's keep a tally.

1. Galileo seems to be at least a skeptic of popular God-conceptions of the time. IMO it is not clear which beliefs, if any, he personally holds towards the hypothetical existence of a God.
  2. Francis Bacon sure seems to be a theist.
  3. Darwin seems to be quite agnostic, quite possibly "purely" so.
  4. Maria Mitchell seems to be a theist who mistrusts organized religion (or at least the Quakers).
  5. Marie Curie seems to be an agnostic, perhaps with a touch of atheism.
  6. Einstein, at least according to that text, strikes me as standing somewhere between a pantheist and a deist.
  7. Rosalind Franklin strikes me as a skeptic, perhaps also an agnostic or atheistic. Hard to tell.
  8. Carl Sagan was clearly agnostic, albeit apparently confortable with atheistic-like positions as well.
  9. Hawking is a clear-cut atheist.
  10. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan might be anything. It is clear that he is also a skeptic, though.
  11. Neil deGrasse Tyson is clearly an agnostic, apparently confortably so.
  12. Francis Collins, obviously, is a Christian.

By my account, that adds up to:

4 agnostics
3 theists (one of which is also a Christian)
3 skeptics
1 tentative deist
1 atheist

Last edited: