• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fatiha

Marco19

Researcher
Dear friends Salam Aleykum,

I have a question about the Sufi view on the last part of the fatiha, if you interprete it the same as the main stream in general says that the cursed are the Jews, and the astray are the Christians.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, I'm not a sufi but I just want to let you know that the part which says "those who angered God (like Jews) and of those who went astray (like Christians)" the jews + Christians part in brackets are added in by the translators but there is a hadith on it that says something like this so this is probably why the translators put it there.

Marco19

Researcher
Salam LaaIlahaIllAllah,

Thanks for sharing your thought, as you've mentioned it's not a Sufi view.
i've read different scholars explanation, even in Sunni not all agree with that, therefore i became curious to check the Sufi view too.

F0uad

Uhm does faitha say ''jew or Christians?'' i though it said people who went/go astray... at-least this is how its translated..

A-ManESL

The translation is as follows. I believe it largely captures the essential verses:

1. Praise is for Allah only -- The Lord of All being !
2. The Benevolent, the Merciful !
3. Master on the Day of Recompense !
4. Thee only do we serve, and Thee alone do we ask for help.
5. Direct us to the Straight Path -
6. The path of those to whom Thou has been gracious,-
7. Not of those who have incurred Thy displeasure, nor of those who have gone astray.

The last verse is a prayer to God to guide us on the path of goodness and progress (that path in the Quran is styled as the straight path) and not of those who have deviated from this path. A person who deviates may be anyone, and it is certainly not restricted to any faith. He can be outwardly Muslim, may be outwardly Hindu, Christian jew whatever; but internally he is not righteous and not turning towards God.

The Quran's words are very simple to understand if they are read in the manner they were meant to be: as a direct appeal to the heart of man. Unfortunately many people try to mould the meaning of the Quran within their schismatic themes, this style of commentary called tafsir-bir-rai is a problem which has plagued the commentaries of the Quran for centuries. Even, in the present case, any person reading the above 7 verses for the first time will absorb an elemental understanding of them very easily. But no, people have not rested and found extraneous meanings to suit their own viewpoints (many times exclusivist views or ego-centric views of our way of life is better then others) in this very simple to understand verse.

Regards