• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite metal bands

Flappycat

Hey, guys. What are your favorite metal bands? Personally, I favor melodic metal, particularly if a lot of work, skill, or innovation is put into the music. Dragonforce's guitar work is amazing, and Borknagar actually surprised me by not only managing to use drums for something other than background but actually employing them on a level that I've never before seen. I enjoy epic ballads as well, such as those produced by Blind Guardian. Those are my standing favorites. I'd like to know yours, and I'd like to know why.

Fluffy

A fool
Too... many... bands! Metal just is too varied a genre to pick only one... how can I compare a band like Moonspell to Lamb Of God or Sabbath to Meshuggah?

The only types of metal that I ain't a big fan of are grindcore and brutal death but even then Carcass and Six Feet Under come to mind as exceptions in each field respectively.

Normally I would say either Cradle of Filth or Opeth simply because of the technical brilliance of each. However, at the moment I am in a serious mood for funk so I'm really into Span and Faith No More.

Is metal the most popular musical taste on RF or something? I swear this is the third or fourth "What is your favourite metal band" thread and we haven't had anything similar for any other genre lol :). You all have damn good tastes.

Flappycat: Power metal is a subgenre I am just trying to get into. Have you heard Primal Fear? I'd say they are my favourite so far. Would you suggest Dragonforce to somebody who liked Primal Fear? My problem with power metal sometimes is that the voices can be a little... weird for my liking and I find that bands that mix the power sound with death or black voices are just brilliant (see Children of Bodom). And yeah Blind Guardian are incredibly amazing :)

To everyone: If you like metal, check out this site: www.bnrmetal.com it is the best metal site in existence and they are just about to put up the internet top 10's for 2005 so I'm tensed with excitement. Brilliant for checking out new bands and expanding your musical tastes.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Disturbed:jam:

used to be a huge Metallica fan, love the old stuff, but St. Crap ruined that for me

Fluffy

A fool
used to be a huge Metallica fan, love the old stuff, but St. Crap ruined that for me
Argh tell me about it! I have tried and tried with that album but I just can't get into it. There is just always something wrong with each track. Even the title track isn't passable. I seriously wish Metallica had just sold out and done something good than trying to meet the older fans and radio shows halfway. I hope they do something better next time. Try Exodus, once you get past the vocals (easy if you are a death or black metal fan) then they are great replacement for all those people who are asking themselves "what the hell happened to Metallica?". There best album that I've heard is probably Tempo Of The Damned.

Otep, Lamb of God... those are my favorites *smiles*
Lamb Of God are excellent I'm just annoyed at them at the moment because I wished there newer album had gone down a more Ruin/For Your Malice route rather than what it is. Still amazing just could have been so much better :).

Master Vigil

I love Dream Theater. Not sure if you want to count that as metal, but progressive rock. But still, they are my favorite.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Hey, St. Anger isn't that bad. Load is the album that got me to lose interest, since it's really not much of a metal album. The only real thing I find wrong with it, is that there producer, Bob Rock, played bass for it. They didn't have a real bassist, which means no bass solos.

My favorites in metal are:
Metallica
Megadeth
Pantera
Children of Bodom
Dimmu Borgir
Mudvayne
Korn
Fear Factory
Black Sabbath
and a very long list, possible pages long.

Flappycat

Fluffy said:
Flappycat: Power metal is a subgenre I am just trying to get into. Have you heard Primal Fear?
I have now.

I'd say they are my favourite so far. Would you suggest Dragonforce to somebody who liked Primal Fear?
The vocals are a bit high, but the guitar work is supernatural. Most of their original album, Valley of the Damned, was distributed for free, so dl at will. In fact, I think they offer it for dl right there on their website. If the solo doesn't have you spazzing on the floor, you're deaf. And yes, they say openly that their songs are cheesy. It's just this thing they do for fun as far as they're concerned. Looking at their photo albums, I'd say they're having the time of their life.

My problem with power metal sometimes is that the voices can be a little... weird for my liking and I find that bands that mix the power sound with death or black voices are just brilliant (see Children of Bodom). And yeah Blind Guardian are incredibly amazing :)
If you liked BG, you might like Df if you can get past the vocals. Yeah, they have girly voices, but they're good girly voices.

To everyone: If you like metal, check out this site: www.bnrmetal.com it is the best metal site in existence and they are just about to put up the internet top 10's for 2005 so I'm tensed with excitement. Brilliant for checking out new bands and expanding your musical tastes.
I'll check it out.

Fluffy

A fool
I love Dream Theater. Not sure if you want to count that as metal, but progressive rock. But still, they are my favorite.
They are definitely metal in my book :). I am seriously considering getting into them after getting both of Liquid Tension Experiment's albums which just blow my mind :).

Hey, St. Anger isn't that bad. Load is the album that got me to lose interest, since it's really not much of a metal album. The only real thing I find wrong with it, is that there producer, Bob Rock, played bass for it. They didn't have a real bassist, which means no bass solos.

My favorites in metal are:
Metallica
Megadeth
Pantera
Children of Bodom
Dimmu Borgir
Mudvayne
Korn
Fear Factory
Black Sabbath
and a very long list, possible pages long.
You don't tend to get many bass solo's in metal :(. Although they damn well should. Some of the best I have heard are in funk metal. Also if you like Pantera, have you checked out Superjoint Ritual? I've overlistened to them so I'm not very into them at the moment but they manage to top Pantera in my humble opinion.

The vocals are a bit high, but the guitar work is supernatural. Most of their original album, Valley of the Damned, was distributed for free, so dl at will. In fact, I think they offer it for dl right there on their website. If the solo doesn't have you spazzing on the floor, you're deaf. And yes, they say openly that their songs are cheesy. It's just this thing they do for fun as far as they're concerned. Looking at their photo albums, I'd say they're having the time of their life.
hehe well I love solos (of all instruments though I think brass solos are my fave) and power metal have some of the best :).

If you liked BG, you might like Df if you can get past the vocals. Yeah, they have girly voices, but they're good girly voices.
okkiedokes! Thanks for the tip!

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Hehehe this is the sort of thread that makes me do an about face. . . . Lao Who?

Fav metal bands : Tool, Satyricon. Rhythm wise, I take Pantera.

All around definitely Tool though. I'd put Dream Theater down as Progressive Metal. Prog rock has pretty much died with the 70's. The sounds too intense to be called rock anymore. Even the new King Crimson albums are more metal oriented.

Fluffy

A fool
Prog rock has pretty much died with the 70's.
They keep trying to put bands into the genre though lol :). Just look at some of the people who have now decided that System of a Down are prog rock based on Hypnotise!!! Btw System of a Down are one of my favourite metal bands as well, damn original and very moving.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Fluffy said:
They keep trying to put bands into the genre though lol :). Just look at some of the people who have now decided that System of a Down are prog rock based on Hypnotise!!! Btw System of a Down are one of my favourite metal bands as well, damn original and very moving.
Oh dear Christ (no blasphemy intended). Pearl Jam are closer to Prog than SOAD. . . .

Progressive is more of an adjective for a genre than an actual genre, describing tracks that progress (funnily enough) through several phases, with no coda's.

michel said:
My wife has a nice silver bracelet!:biglaugh:
Never heard of them, who's their drummer? :D

Ulver

Well I guess I'm up to posting one of those long as hell lists. I've been into Metal for 6 years now and have delved into just about every sub genre in it. I've got favorites in all of them, but the big two for me are Black Metal and post-Harcore/Metal (basically everything that's come out from what Neurosis started).

Here's my list of favorites (un-sorted):

Enslaved, Agalloch, Neurosis, Burzum, Godflesh, Swans, Mastodon, Bathory, Blut aus Nord, Morbid Angel, Metallica, Tool, Motorhead, Opeth, Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Fear Factory, Velvet Cacoon, Watain, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Voivod, Kreator, Leviathan, Xasthur, Isis, Cult of Luna, Jesu, Ministry, Rammstein, In the Woods, Carcass, Behemoth, Nile, Red Harvest, Arcturus, Amorphis, Electric Wizard, Moonspell, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Pelican, Emperor, King Diamond, Immortal, The Melvins, Ulver, Satyricon, Amon Amarth, Primordial, Danzig, Anthrax, Cave-In, High on Fire, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Evergey, Cruachan, Thyrfing, Deceased, Nevermore, Savatage, Athiest, Death, Zyklon, Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Gorgoroth, Summoning, Taake & more.

NP: Voivod- The Unknown Knows