• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finland set to join NATO after Turkey finally approves its application

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Turkey is still opposed to letting Sweden join.

After Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, many NATO members moved quickly to expedite Finland and Sweden's membership. However, Turkey and Hungary had stymied the process for months.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan has accused the countries of housing Kurdish "terrorist organizations." While he changed his tune on Finland, Turkey still remains opposed to Sweden joining NATO.

Sweden and Finland had been in lockstep on their bids to join NATO, but earlier this month Sweden gave Finland its approval to move ahead on its own, according to Breaking Defense.

Finland shares a 600-mile border with Russia, and is very close to Russia's second largest city.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Russia invaded Finland once before.
And got its behind thoroughly kicked.
But Putin might try again, believing that
Finland is traditional Russian territory.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
""Turkey is opposed to letting Sweden join""

I had forgotten that we all ought to bow to the Ottoman Sultan's will. :)

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

""Turkey is opposed to let Sweden join""

I had forgotten that we all ought to the Ottoman Sultan's will. :)
The North Atlantic Treaty,

Article 10​

The Parties may, by unanimous agreement, invite any other European State in a position to further the principles of this Treaty and to contribute to the security of the North Atlantic area to accede to this Treaty.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The North Atlantic Treaty,

Article 10​

The Parties may, by unanimous agreement, invite any other European State in a position to further the principles of this Treaty and to contribute to the security of the North Atlantic area to accede to this Treaty.

In the EU too. That's why Turkey will never join the EU, since in that country there is no political will to align their values to ours.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What does Turkey have against Sweden? ABBA? It's certainly not Club 8, my favorie Swedish band.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What does Turkey have against Sweden? ABBA? It's certainly not Club 8, my favorie Swedish band.
To sum it up: Sweden is giving political asylum to a Kurdish journalist that criticized the Sultan. You know, in Turkey there is not freedom of speech, so the Kurdish journalist may face imprisonment there.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, I always sort of liked ABBA. Not my favorite, but they had a few catchy tunes back in the day.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And for good reason. :) But hey, I'm just glad you're cheering them on now!
My country doesn't need an enemy to live her own life. :)
I don't see anybody as an enemy. I love the NATO just as a defensive alliance. But if it's meant to be a warlike alliance that needs an enemy to survive...well...