• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fire destroys Rock Tavern UU church

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
http://www.uuworld.org/news/articles/firedestroysrocktavernuuchurch6115.shtml

Fire destroyed the two buildings of the UU Congregation at Rock Tavern, N.Y., early Tuesday morning, Sept. 12. James Bridges, minister of the 60-member congregation since 1998, said no cause had been determined for the fire.

“At this point it’s being viewed as suspicious and police and fire officials are investigating,” he said. “A second possibility is it could have been an electrical fire.” He said he was called by the fire department at 5:45 a.m. on Tuesday and arrived at the church just before firemen. Captain Tom Lucchesi of the Vails Gate Fire Company told a local newspaper the fire had a good start and it took firemen 40 minutes to put it out. Rock Tavern is 69 miles north of New York City and 19 miles from West Point.

Let's keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

UU Congregation at Rock Tavern, N.Y.

See also:
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060913/NEWS/609130337/-1/NEWS
http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/Church_Fire-12Sep06.htm

Bishka

Veteran Member
Why do people do these things?

It's insane -- an LDS Church was burnt down in Hawaii. :(

Is there a special place for arsonists after this life?

ayani

i agree with becky- whta would compell a person to ::burn down:: something so precious to a community? to destroy a house of worship?

i'll keep the Rock Tavern UU community in my prayers.

Bishka

Veteran Member
gracie said:
i agree with becky- whta would compell a person to ::burn down:: something so precious to a community? to destroy a house of worship?

i'll keep the Rock Tavern UU community in my prayers.
As will I.

uu_sage

Totally speechless now. My head is spinning so fast I can't make sense of what just happened. One person or a group of people benefiting at the expense of suffering of others is unacceptable. It's a challenge trying to value a person's worth and dignity when something terrible happens. Even in the midst of a charcoal darkness, the light of compassion, love and shared hopes will reawaken in the hearts of the congregants to start anew, and to open the spirit of wholeness to all involved.

Rock Tavern UU, as with the whole human race, is in my thoughts, prayers, and
positive energies. I will also light a candle of Joy, Hope and Concern on behalf of my congregation.

"When I'm weary and downhearted,
How I long for the song it sings,
For the calm within its gentle blue,
The peace that it brings, it brings"
-River in Judea

Namaste!

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
They are in my thoughts and prayers also as the congregation is about 30 minutes from where I live (it is one of two UU congregations in my area). The other is a smaller lay-led congregation.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Whether is was done intentional or was an accident, it's heartbreaking. Go to their website and you'll see pictures from inside the building before this happened. Just from the pictures I can see it was a calm, serene, inviting and spiritual place.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I can only hope that it will be rebuilt to be an inviting and spiritual place again. Knowing that UUs attend there makes me think it will be!

My thoughts and prayers are with the group!