• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time to attend a UU Fellowship

EverChanging

I attended a small UU fellowship for the first time Sunday. About 15 people were present, mostly elderly, a few middle aged, and two people people my own age, but I'm comfortable with that. Even though I have known about Unitarian Universalism for a long time, it was still a culture shock to walk into a church and find pamphlets on separation of church and state/school prayer, or papers saying, "Is God keeping you from coming to church?"

A very elderly couple I met turned out to be members of American Atheists and have been to their conventions since the 60s, when there were so many Christian protesters, they were unable to leave the convention. I was very surprised but intrigued that this couple had met O'Hair, who had stayed in Obama's grandmother's UU church in Hawaii when she was still finding a place to live after fleeing Texas because of threats, people beating up her children, breaking into her house, etc.

The service was informal, but I'm told each service varys widely. They don't have a minister because they don't want to pay for one! I thought that was really funny. Lay people lead the services. An older woman talked about her experiences in Mormonism, the pros and cons, and by the end of her speech she said that she was an atheist, too.

I don't expect all UUs to agree with me on the issue of atheism, but I am living in a conservative area, and it was nice to meet other people of a like mind. It can get very lonely.

I didn't find out until the way back that the two guys I took a ride with were in a relationship together.

Overall, it was a nice experience, and it was nice to know I didn't have to hide my views or feel ashamed like most other congregations.

J Bryson

Yeah, that's sort of the ideal situation to get into when it comes to our religion or any other. Not to walk in the door and feel convinced by an argument, but to find your own beliefs confirmed and respected, and to be able to associate with people of like mind. I'm really glad that you had a good time. Are you planning on going back?

And O'Hair was an interesting lady, but a bit over-the-top for me when it came to her public appearances.

EverChanging

Yes, I will go back when I have the opportunity. If I can get there on a regular basis, I'll become a member.

J Bryson

Yes, I will go back when I have the opportunity. If I can get there on a regular basis, I'll become a member.

Excellent. I'm very glad that you had a good time, and hope that you continue to find your relationship with the fellowship to be constructive and fulfilling.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Glad you enjoyed it. If you have the oppurtunity, though, shop around a bit.

EverChanging

I would try different congregations, but I'm in a very conservative area, and I don't know of any other congregations within a reasonable distance: even the one I visited is out of town, though not too far away. That's why I became a member through the CLF. Still, for such a small group, they have a lot going on, different meetings, journaling, poetry I think, lay led services with a guest speaker every month, and I'm going to try to make it to the meeting where they're going to show Religulous. I'm told the services vary widely, too, so I'll get to experience a variety of things a UU fellowship can offer. Different people focus on different justice or political issues, too, such as environmental justice. As long as I can get there regularly, and I expect it to be a nice experience. I'm surprised that such a small place has so much going on. Most Christian churches I've been to that were very small different have nearly as many activities.