• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fission or Fusion.....Which way to Go...?

drsatish

[FONT=&quot]Fission or Fusion.....Which way to Go...?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are 2 ways of Stroking the Furnace of Fire...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1....Fission...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...The Fission Nuclear Reactor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Natural nuclear fission reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...the Arrow of Division ....the Divide & RULE Policy....of Kings, Politicians, Religious Heads...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 2...Fusion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...the Fusion Nuclear Reactor...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Nuclear fusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In Metaphorical terms,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1...is Division, Hate, Control, Power, Domination.....[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2..is fusing together, amalgamating, coalescing together....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] perceived through the INITIAL corrupted kaleidoscope as..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...my relatives, my group, my neighborhood, my profession..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...... my sect, my sex, my religion..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...... my skin color, my flag color...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ....my SOME AGGLOMERATION VALUE..IDENTITY..CONCEPT...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] .....vs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] .... vs ANOTHER....SUCH!....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] .........in .....LOCKED-HORNS![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] locked horns - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. Super-Conductive FUSION....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ..super-conductivity..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Superconductivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ..LOVE.....something to do with FUSING....physically, emotionally, intellectually, insightfully...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]FISSION or FUSION....is the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] .....Fundamental Quantum Question ....in a Non-Quantum Permanent Universe![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Outside...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Satish[/FONT]

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting presentation about the now operational alternative to the Tokamak fusion reactors called the Wendelstein 7-x . This looks more impressive than the Tokamak. If fusion is the future of energy production then its likely the reactors will be very twisty magnetic cages like this and not simple torus shapes.

bild_forschung_W7-X_02_2014_Plasma-Divertor-Prallplatten.jpg

Milton Platt

[FONT=&quot]Fission or Fusion.....Which way to Go...?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are 2 ways of Stroking the Furnace of Fire...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1....Fission...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...The Fission Nuclear Reactor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Natural nuclear fission reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...the Arrow of Division ....the Divide & RULE Policy....of Kings, Politicians, Religious Heads...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 2...Fusion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...the Fusion Nuclear Reactor...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Nuclear fusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In Metaphorical terms,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1...is Division, Hate, Control, Power, Domination.....[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2..is fusing together, amalgamating, coalescing together....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] perceived through the INITIAL corrupted kaleidoscope as..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...my relatives, my group, my neighborhood, my profession..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...... my sect, my sex, my religion..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ...... my skin color, my flag color...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ....my SOME AGGLOMERATION VALUE..IDENTITY..CONCEPT...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] .....vs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] .... vs ANOTHER....SUCH!....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] .........in .....LOCKED-HORNS![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] locked horns - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. Super-Conductive FUSION....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ..super-conductivity..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Superconductivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ..LOVE.....something to do with FUSING....physically, emotionally, intellectually, insightfully...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]FISSION or FUSION....is the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] .....Fundamental Quantum Question ....in a Non-Quantum Permanent Universe![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Outside...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Satish[/FONT]

If that is the only two choices, then we are in trouble......

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If that is the only two choices, then we are in trouble......
True, because fusion reactors are expensive and fission reactors are nasty. I'm thinking...solar panels and then later on chemical solar panels. All this fission and fusion stuff is starting to look like throwing good money after bad. ----- However if fusion can be miniaturized and used to power rockets or other Earth-to-space craft then that is different. I'm all for fusion powered space ships. Yeah, baby.

Milton Platt

True, because fusion reactors are expensive and fission reactors are nasty. I'm thinking...solar panels and then later on chemical solar panels. All this fission and fusion stuff is starting to look like throwing good money after bad. ----- However if fusion can be miniaturized and used to power rockets or other Earth-to-space craft then that is different. I'm all for fusion powered space ships. Yeah, baby.

Hmmm.....Yeah, fusion powered space flight is an interesting concept. How would one turn fusion into a form of propulsion, though? And what about those uh-ohs that don't make it to orbit and return to earth on an uncontrolled path?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmm.....Yeah, fusion powered space flight is an interesting concept. How would one turn fusion into a form of propulsion, though? And what about those uh-ohs that don't make it to orbit and return to earth on an uncontrolled path?
It would be very similar to a rocket, with the same problems of having to use ejected mass to propel the vehicle; but that mass would not have to be hydrazine. It could be a mass many times more dense, probably increasing the payload and range for the vehicle. I don't know technically if it could be accomplished, however with a higher density stored mass and energy supplied by the reactor you might be able to store a lot more ejection mass in the same space as an equivalent volume of hydrazine. That means more fuel and a higher payload for the same size vehicle. Assuming fusion could provide power to create a state change in the mass and to eject it at high velocity, the efficiency of the rocket's ejection mass could be multiplied by a factor of 10 or more. The density of liquid Hydrazine is 1020 kg/m^3. The density of solid Al is 2700 kg/m^3. The density of Solid Silver is 10,500 kg/m^3, and Silver is completely nontoxic and less expensive than Hydrazine. That means that as long as you have the energy to crank into it, non-toxic Silver has 1000 times the potential to propel a vehicle into space than Hydrazine, since Hydrazine is so light weight. The difference is that currently you need fuel that burns, and Hydrazine is the best fuel you can currently get. Its not the most dense propellant.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm thinking the world would be a more pleasant and peaceful place -- not to mention healthier -- if we all relied on bicycles attached to generators.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It would be very similar to a rocket, with the same problems of having to use ejected mass to propel the vehicle; but that mass would not have to be hydrazine. It could be a mass many times more dense, probably increasing the payload and range for the vehicle. I don't know technically if it could be accomplished, however with a higher density stored mass and energy supplied by the reactor you might be able to store a lot more ejection mass in the same space as an equivalent volume of hydrazine. That means more fuel and a higher payload for the same size vehicle. Assuming fusion could provide power to create a state change in the mass and to eject it at high velocity, the efficiency of the rocket's ejection mass could be multiplied by a factor of 10 or more. The density of liquid Hydrazine is 1020 kg/m^3. The density of solid Al is 2700 kg/m^3. The density of Solid Silver is 10,500 kg/m^3, and Silver is completely nontoxic and less expensive than Hydrazine. That means that as long as you have the energy to crank into it, non-toxic Silver has 1000 times the potential to propel a vehicle into space than Hydrazine, since Hydrazine is so light weight. The difference is that currently you need fuel that burns, and Hydrazine is the best fuel you can currently get. Its not the most dense propellant.

As long as we rely on ejecting payload mass, as the means of attaining propulsion force. Space travel will be by nature limited. However even photons ejected at the speed of light give almost unlimited acceleration when beyond solar gravitational influence. Rocket propulsion, of some kind, is probably essential for inter planetary drive.
Unless or until scientific endeavour reveals a fundamentally new motive force, interstellar travel will remain out of reach

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As long as we rely on ejecting payload mass, as the means of attaining propulsion force. Space travel will be by nature limited. However even photons ejected at the speed of light give almost unlimited acceleration when beyond solar gravitational influence. Rocket propulsion, of some kind, is probably essential for inter planetary drive.
Unless or until scientific endeavour reveals a fundamentally new motive force, interstellar travel will remain out of reach
I agree. I think interstellar travel is unrealistic, unless you are on a planet going round a sun that is traveling as part of a galaxy.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's been years...but last I heard.....fusion has a glitch
one gallon of water can energize all the light bulbs of San Francisco for 25yrs

the torus problem is like a bubble......
you can't tap the field without destroying it.

so......anyone care to pop for breeder reactors?