• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flathead (County) Republicans try to take back party

Pah

Uber all member
Flathead Republicans try to take back party
Associated Press

The complete article appears in http://www.billingsgazette.com/inde...9/build/state/63-flathead-republicans.inc]The Billings Gazette[/url]

KALISPELL -- A group of Flathead County Republicans says the local party has been taken over by "extremists" and they plan to take the party back, initially by supporting a Democratic candidate for county commission.

"Enough is enough," said Cal Sweet, a longtime Kalispell businessman. "We need some sanity when it comes to conservative politics in the Flathead Valley."

According to Sweet and nearly a dozen other businessmen, the local Republican Party has been hijacked by a "small, radical group" of religious fundamentalists and Libertarians.

Sweet said the Republican Assembly has taken over the local party from the bottom up by capturing political precinct posts.

So Sweet and others have formed a political action committee, Republicans for the Flathead, to support a Democrat and to run "thoughtful and intelligent" Republicans in the future.

"The Republican Assembly is trying to drive a wedge," said Butch "C.M." Clark. "If you don't accept their ideology, then you're out. Well, that's not the way conservative politics works. We want to help the party elect candidates, but the Republican Assembly is not the Republican Party."

But Ron Hoye, chairman of the Flathead Republican Assembly, said its platform is "absolutely identical" to that of the Republican Party.

Republican Assemblies are the self-appointed "Republican wing of the Republican Party," a Bible-based group of conservatives who have questioned, among other things, the modern separation of church and state.

Unlike the official GOP, the assembly endorses Republicans against Republicans in primary elections, helping voters identify the more conservative candidates.

meogi

Hah, that's my town's newspaper!

Just so you know, don't take much of what the Gazette says as anything. It's are full of opinionated journalists... but I guess what news agency isn't these days.

But they are just talking about the local parties right? I don't think they are talking about nationally. And these are localized comunities too... I believe flathead has maybe 100k people in it. And it's a bigger county iirc. I think a 'takeover' wouldn't go well unless the comunity was behind it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The Religious Right has taken over the local Republican Party in Colorado Springs. The moderates have been given the boot, and there are no moderate voices left in the local Republican Party here. The Right did here the same thing that they are trying to do in Flathead, which (among other things) is to take sides in the primaries. There have even been dirty tricks pulled by the Religious Right against moderate Republicans. IF the Flathead moderates sit back and do nothing, their town will go the same way as the Springs.