• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Better or For Worse? The Sexual Revolution of the 60s and 70s.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I can say the sexual revolution made for an interesting smorgasbord of sexual escapades.

3 ways, 4 ways, orgies, not to mention losing count of sexual partners somewhere around one hundred.

I could comment on other vices as well that were a contributing factor, but that would be against the forum rules.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In the small town I was growing up in, the Sexual Revolution wasn't just about sex. In fact, the first clouds on the horizon came in the form of clothing.

About the time I got into middle school, a few of the girls began wearing slacks. They had to take on the school dress code to do it, but they eventually won the right to wear slacks (as opposed to only dresses and skirts).

Then, in my first year in high school, the issue became whether girls could wear jeans. The girls won again.

A year or two later, it was short skirts -- mini-skirts. The girls won there, too. At least, at first. But the school drew the line at skirts that were called, "micro-mini-skirts".

All of that would had been trivial except for this: It went far to promote the attitude that the girls had a right to themselves; that they weren't merely to follow what was still considered "proper lady-like behavior"; but that their own wishes and desires ruled.

In hindsight, the Sexual Revolution came to my town first as a fashion revolution whose basic message was, "Girls have a right to decide for themselves."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I lived in San Francisco in the mid 60's. Compared to the civil rights movement, the anti-war movement, the free speech movement, and the women's rights movement, the 'sexual revolution' struck me as unserious, self-absorbed and, except to the extent that it piggy-backed on the protest movements of that period, not particularly impactful. This is, of course, an over-statement.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Polls taken since the 60s and 70s have consistently shown that about nine out of ten married Americans had per-marital sex. Do you think that, overall, that's a good thing or a bad thing?

I can't say I'm an advocate for pre-marital sex, but people are human and it's hard to wait.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I lived in San Francisco in the mid 60's. Compared to the civil rights movement, the anti-war movement, the free speech movement, and the women's rights movement, the 'sexual revolution' struck me as unserious, self-absorbed and, except to the extent that it piggy-backed on the protest movements of that period, not particularly impactful. This is, of course, an over-statement.

Would you say that any particular movement(s) played a part in changing sexual values or taboos at the time?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm curious about the full effects that the Sexual Revolution of the 1960s and 70s had on people and societies -- not just Western peoples and societies, either. So, what do you think some of those effects were, especially, perhaps, the less often noted effects? Which effects were mostly good, which were mostly bad? And why?

Did the Sexual Revolution impact men and women differently? If so, how?

I was thinking about this the other day, actually...changes in sexuality from generation to generation, through the decades. I watched a great short, documentary on the history of makeup and women, from the Victorian Era to present, by one of my favorite makeup artists, Lauren Eldridge.

The evolution of cosmetology is directly reflective of the changes in a woman's sexuality and the "green light" to express oneself creatively through such expression.

A woman's ability to express herself...in PUBLIC...changed drastically from the Victorian era to the roaring 20s. Women went from being caged in corsets, with long hair - a statement of wealth (at times) and beauty to being able to cut hair short, wear bold makeup on the face and show arms and legs.

I think that the women of the 20s had an early taste for what the women of the 60s and 70s experienced. But, World Wars plunged women backwards into more mold-like roles, as men were off to war and women had to take care of babies, home and play a more conversative role for survival. Feeling good about yourself and feeling sexy was a luxury for a woman at many points in American and Europeon history.

Post baby boom, the teens of these generations were able to push the envelope of their parents' gender and sexuality-specific molds and take a more "anything goes" type of attitude. Not all did, of course.

It's very interesting (to me!) that this shift in sexuality has been reflected in the cosmetic industry. Makeup was very much revolutionized in the late 60s and 70s and has just kept getting better with time.

I think that sexual revolution has impacted both men and women, but moreso women. Through sexual revolution, there has emerged a stronger woman type, one who is less likely to adapt to the female molds and roles and societal expectations - particularly those expectations of males - that existed prior to the sexual revolution.

From this, there has emerged a brand of feminism that keeps women moving forward in obtaining the civil rights deserved to be equal to a male counterpart in society.

But, of course, the sexual revolution has also allowed others the ability to come out into the light and live their lives free - look at how far we've come in rights for LGBTQs.

I think that "mostly good" changes have been those that have allowed people to embrace themselves for who they really are and to live in truth. With that, comes greater productivity and hopefully, greater happiness.

It's hard to "calculate" negative change as a result of the sexual revolution in a fair way. The sexual revolution was well underway before I was born. These are just my opinions.

I think that the sexual revolution has had a negative impact on our indiviudal self image and our expectations of ourselves and others. As soon as women were able to show a little leg and arm, small companies cashed in on their insecurities.

And companies continue to cash in on the insecurities of women.

And then there's the other piece to this. As we continue to evolve as a modern society and further embrace our sexuality, the nuclear family has changed. There is strength, stability and sustainability to be found in the nuclear family structure, whether that family consists of a mom, dad and babies or another makeup of people.

People desire their freedom and ability to exercise their freedoms but not always in the manner that makes the most economical sense. I feel that younger generations seem to place expression and freedom, particularly sexual freedom above fiscal responsibility at times. I think it's important that society strives to find balance, so that younger generations can continue to move forward, enjoying freedoms, but also making sound decisions to be successful and productive in their own right, while being as happy as possible.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I think they had premarital sex before a LOT and just either lied..or got married if she got pregnant..Also people got married so much younger because it was just "in the cards" the next thing to do when you turned 13.. :rolleyes:In that sense on average "back then" people could have been starting to engage in sex much younger ..married or not.

I guess I'm trying to say if its "encouraged" to wait longer to marry? Then naturally rates of "premarital" sex will rise.Even if the average age of 1st sexual encounter is older.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm curious about the full effects that the Sexual Revolution of the 1960s and 70s had on people and societies -- not just Western peoples and societies, either. So, what do you think some of those effects were, especially, perhaps, the less often noted effects? Which effects were mostly good, which were mostly bad? And why?

Did the Sexual Revolution impact men and women differently? If so, how?
I dunno, I wasn't around at the time. I grew up in an era where it is taken for granted that I can be attracted to someone, express that attraction, and be thought of as someone who, like men, have sexual desires.

Seems to me that both women and men benefit by having an understanding that both women and men are sexual beings, that sexuality isn't entirely or mostly within the minds of men towards the objects of women. I'm also not really one for social rules, so I'm not big on the whole idea of marriage even if I'm big on the idea of monogamy.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
not just Western peoples and societies, either.

That's whats throwing me off.I'm trying to think where else there was a sexual revolution that I could even comment on.

and be thought of as someone who, like men, have sexual desires.

Not to bring up the Bible specifically..but I guess because I know some of it and its so OLD..(not nearly all and I don't even understand everything I "know)..But men were "encouraged" for lack of better terms (or terms I don't like using) to be "available" to their wive's .That would indicate to me that even that long ago and in that society it was recognized on some level a woman has desires for sex.

Also it sticks out like a sore thumb too ..the Shulamite woman in Song of Songs..had no 'inhibition" its seems proclaiming her interests and desires (and yes sexually) for Solomon.In modern terms I would say she 'hit on him" ..LOL>>>Let her feelings me known.

Maybe they didn't think in terms "like men" but its not a "modern" discovery women like or might like LOL>>sex..I don't think the "art " of Kama Sutra for example did not take into any account woman's pleasure (or the fact she has some in sex) and that's OLD ...OLD stuff...