• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former PM Scott Morrison on the UN, government and God

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
For those unaware, Scott Morrison was recently deposed as PM of Australia. Whilst he commonly tried to present himself as an everyday Aussie (whatever THAT means) he is a Pentecostal and rallied the support of the religious right to depose the previous party leader. He spoke at a somewhat controversial church this week...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...n/news-story/9ce0f13ce2d4270ff26c2c79f7aa2a95

Quick hits:
He referred to anxiety as 'Satan's Plan', seeming to link mental health issues to a combination of brain chemistry, biological issues and spiritual deficit. Yuck.

He stated that he believed in miracles, and that he thought his loss was part of God's plan. That worries me less. All Christians believe in miracles, and that God has a plan. Plenty of our best leaders have been Christians.

He also said that people should be putting their faith in God over 'fallible governments'. Hmm...to me, that's a tough sell when you were PM, and making all sorts of policy that directly impacted on people's lives. Are governments fallible? Hell yes. But when the east coast was being ravaged by bushfire, it was leadership from the Government that people needed. If they're believers, and depending on the nature of their belief, they can certainly turn to God as well. But this either/or proposition is problematic. There were several key social issues that his government fundamentally failed to address, and I wonder if his worldview contributed to that in some direct way. Most notably this was in areas of respect and safety for women in politics, corruption, and protection of LGBT students at schools (please note, these are specific Australian issues, not just general vibes, happy to extrapolate on any/all).

Please note, this is NOT a knock on leaders who are religious. But a PM has to lead the whole nation. Their personal religion shouldn't be an active guide in that. Neither should anti-theism, fwiw.

The new PM, Anthony Albanese, is a self-described non-practising Catholic. In early press conferences, he removed two of the three Australian flags Morrison did press engagements in front of (surely one is enough) and added an Aboriginal flag, and a Torres Straight Islander flag to the mix. Symbolism isn't worth much when it's time for rubber to meet road, but to me this is a clear sign that we have a government whose intent is more inclusive.

I hope they are able to sustain that intent.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Scummo seemed to me to be some creepy Boomer
But I didn’t realise how creepy he was apparently lol

Albanese seemed to be a more well meaning boomer lol
His government seems to be far better to me. Not great but at least better

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Scummo seemed to me to be some creepy Boomer
But I didn’t realise how creepy he was apparently lol

Albanese seemed to be a more well meaning boomer lol
His government seems to be far better to me. Not great but at least better

Hey! I'm a creepy boomer and Scummo ain't invited to the club. We have our standards to maintain.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Quick hits:
He referred to anxiety as 'Satan's Plan', seeming to link mental health issues to a combination of brain chemistry, biological issues and spiritual deficit. Yuck.

Sounds like some of the politicians we have around here. Well, at least, nobody can say that America has a monopoly on these types.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For those unaware, Scott Morrison was recently deposed as PM of Australia. Whilst he commonly tried to present himself as an everyday Aussie (whatever THAT means) he is a Pentecostal and rallied the support of the religious right to depose the previous party leader. He spoke at a somewhat controversial church this week...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...n/news-story/9ce0f13ce2d4270ff26c2c79f7aa2a95

Quick hits:

He stated that he believed in miracles, and that he thought his loss was part of God's plan. That worries me less. All Christians believe in miracles, and that God has a plan. Plenty of our best leaders have been Christians.

He also said that people should be putting their faith in God over 'fallible governments'. Hmm...to me, that's a tough sell when you were PM, and making all sorts of policy that directly impacted on people's lives. Are governments fallible? Hell yes. But when the east coast was being ravaged by bushfire, it was leadership from the Government that people needed. If they're believers, and depending on the nature of their belief, they can certainly turn to God as well. But this either/or proposition is problematic. There were several key social issues that his government fundamentally failed to address, and I wonder if his worldview contributed to that in some direct way. Most notably this was in areas of respect and safety for women in politics, corruption, and protection of LGBT students at schools (please note, these are specific Australian issues, not just general vibes, happy to extrapolate on any/all).

Please note, this is NOT a knock on leaders who are religious. But a PM has to lead the whole nation. Their personal religion shouldn't be an active guide in that. Neither should anti-theism, fwiw.

The new PM, Anthony Albanese, is a self-described non-practising Catholic. In early press conferences, he removed two of the three Australian flags Morrison did press engagements in front of (surely one is enough) and added an Aboriginal flag, and a Torres Straight Islander flag to the mix. Symbolism isn't worth much when it's time for rubber to meet road, but to me this is a clear sign that we have a government whose intent is more inclusive.

I hope they are able to sustain that intent.
If I remember correctly, Margaret Court's church got in the news not too far back for preaching homophobia and so on to such an extent there was a movement to change the name of a tennis arena named after her.

Like in the old music hall song, "You can tell the man who boozes / By the company he chooses" maybe you can tell a lot about Morrison by his accepting that invitation.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If I remember correctly, Margaret Court's church got in the news not too far back for preaching homophobia and so on to such an extent there was a movement to change the name of a tennis arena named after her.

Like in the old music hall song, "You can tell the man who boozes / By the company he chooses" maybe you can tell a lot about Morrison by his accepting that invitation.

Margaret Court made a speech decrying the amount of lesbians in tennis, said they had recruited young players over time, and boycotted QANTAS because they supported same-sex marriage.
Something Australia was very slow to adopt.

She then said she was being bullied when some cane out suggesting the centre court of our tennis centre (named after her) should have it's name changed.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Margaret Court made a speech decrying the amount of lesbians in tennis, said they had recruited young players over time, and boycotted QANTAS because they supported same-sex marriage.
Something Australia was very slow to adopt.

She then said she was being bullied when some cane out suggesting the centre court of our tennis centre (named after her) should have it's name changed.
Funny, isn't it, when people who use the power of the pulpit to spit on others whine when they get back some of what they've earned.