• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franciscan prayer and a shared truth?

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Wandering across a moonlit blog, I came across this prayer and pondered:

The person who desires friendship with God must strive to be free from all attachments and from all commitments that are exclusively human or in relation to earthly realities.* This does not mean that we are to give up our friends or sacrifice our desire for a better job or position. Rather, we may understand attachment here as possessiveness. We are called to be dispossessed of earthly things so as to possess God. To possess means to "cling to", to hold on to something so tightly that other possibilities are "squeezed out". Each of us is called to be poor, to empty ourselves of all that we cling to so that we may receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
*Particularly relevant bits bolded

Does this prayer convey a universal theme that runs through all religions and spiritualities, and their prescribed lifestyles; or not? Indeed, can any religion be simplified into something approximating the search for and attainment of "free[dom] from all attachments"?

I for one was certainly struck by the similarity to this prayer of not only Buddhist and Taoist writings, but also many Muslim and Jewish religious works

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
You can add Christianity to that list as well. Just to show some examples,

From the Cathecism of the Catholic Church:
1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods.

1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.

One can have other attachements, it just needs to be solely under your control and it can't be a disordered attachment (like pedophilia). Both an untamed attachment and a disordered attachement affect your relationship with diety.

Is this what you were looking for?

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
I think so, though I'm not sure exactly what it was I wanted, if anything. I'd just never come across anything from an Abrahamic tradition that I could identify with so simply and directly, and yet it reminded me of how nebulously and spiritually linked religions are.

'Tis should stand me in good stead for tomorrow, I'll be off visiting various Christian churches and cathedrals. Danke for the Cathecisms and your perspective on this! Most interesting... :)

(I thought that Christianity was implied, given that it's a Christian prayer and all)