• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General Pagan questions I feel silly asking (All Pagans welcome)

tigersgrowl1093

I am completely new. A newborn to the Pagan world, if you will. Everything is overwhelming and I would really appreciate if I could get some different answers to my questions no matter what form of Paganism you follow.

• How do you offer sacrifices to a god/gods/godesses/etc and what do you offer?
  • What is on your alter?
  • What holidays do you celebrate and how do you celebrate?
  • How do you deal with parents/general family/friends/strangers and their objections?

If anyone specifically worships Greek/Roman or Egyptian gods, could you please go into a bit more detail when talking about the sacrifices and holidays?

Thank you everyone

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
How do you offer sacrifices to a god/gods/godesses/etc and what do you offer?
I prefer to make offerings to my Deities in ritual. Each God and Goddess that I work with has special items that He or She likes. If I am doing a ritual to a particular Deity I will offer one or more items that that particular Deity is fond of. To know what stuff a Deity likes you can search around, ask others, and/or just do what feels right. If making an offering to Gods and Goddesses in general there are several things that can be used. I believe an appropriate offering for Gods in general can be acorns, pinecones, tobacco, or gold. An appropriate offering for Goddesses in general would include flowers (live or cut) or silver. As with offerings for a particular Deity, do what feels right. A war Deity may like an item that has to do with battle or victory. The important thing about an offering is that it should be from your heart. I lean toward things that nature can remove, as I make all my offerings outside. I avoid chocolate only because I have dogs and I don't want my dogs to eat leftover chocolate the next day and die. I also prefer the word "offering" over "sacrifice," mostly because so many people do not understand us. Sacrifice, to a "holy roller," sounds like we are killing animals or something.
What is on your alter?
Right now I am limited on space. I usually use the Earth as my altar during ritual. I did make a portable altar while I was a truck driver so that I could hold rituals on the road when needed. Take a peek...

1582d1263967577-altar-shrine-pics-portaltar.jpg

What holidays do you celebrate and how do you celebrate?
My schedule has been hectic for the past few years. Things are starting to stabilize finally. I plan on working with the 8 Sabbats and a few other holidays that are specific to particular Deities (such as Mother's Day for Isis) and those that pertain to certain aspects of my life. As with the offerings, do what feels right.

How do you deal with parents/general family/friends/strangers and their objections?
I don't advertise my faith, but I don't hide it either. If someone (family or not) has issues with me then they can leave my home.

If anyone specifically worships Greek/Roman or Egyptian gods, could you please go into a bit more detail when talking about the sacrifices and holidays?
I worship the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt. None of the holidays I currently consider are Egypt specific. My offerings are though. As said above, this pretty much has to do with finding out what a particular Deity likes and doing what feels right. Know your Deities and make sure that They come first when you choose an offering. You can offer personal things that deal with you, but the goal of any offering should be to please Them.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I am completely new. A newborn to the Pagan world, if you will. Everything is overwhelming and I would really appreciate if I could get some different answers to my questions no matter what form of Paganism you follow.

Welcome!

The last offering I gave (that I can remember :cover:) was to my elemental guides. I gave them the last cupful of sake. I love sake, and when I do sacrifices, I try to actually make it a sacrifice and not just what I have lying around. Money is extremely tight for me, so I'll offer coins when I take some plant life (with it's permission, of course). My first offering was around Samhain a couple of years ago, and I offered two packages of Smarties, my FAVORITE Halloween candy. All of those things, I give to the earth. I poured the sake on the ground after offering it to my guides to enjoy; I spread the Smarties on the ground.

Here's a picture:
Alter2-2.jpg

As representations of the Elements I have photos of each, and something else. A seashell my mom gave me from the beach, a special rock, a matchbook, incense. I have a sort of alter plate I made in a pottery class that depicts the elements and the seasons that I rotate accordingly. I also keep my circlet on it. I don't have anything really for divinity, because I want to focus on the elements again..

I celebrate the lesser Sabbats, Samhain and a couple others that are unique to my faith. I don't celebrate them the way I want to.. When I do my rituals, something always seems to be missing... and that missing element is other people. But that's the life of a complicated pagan. ;)

• How do you deal with parents/general family/friends/strangers and their objections?
The short answer is, I don't. I wear my pentacle out in the open, but I don't talk about it until someone else brings it up. Then I'll answer as the situation allows me.

Sorry, can't help you here..

Thank you everyone
Thank you :)

Last edited:

Erebus

1.How do you offer sacrifices to a god/gods/godesses/etc and what do you offer?
2.What is on your alter?
3.What holidays do you celebrate and how do you celebrate?
4.How do you deal with parents/general family/friends/strangers and their objections?

Thank you everyone

1.I personally feel that the time and energy spent invoking a deity are often appropriate as a sacrifice. If I do sacrifice something physical though I will usually offer blood (don't worry, you don't have to do this if you aren't comfortable with it)

2.My altar typically has a few candles, some incense, an offering bowl (a bowl with a tealight candle for burning requests) an athame (dagger) and sometimes either a sigil or a statue of Baphomet.

3.I tend to perform more invocations around Halloween, but that's about it.

4. Ahh this is often a problem for people. The amount of arguments I had with my parents was ridiculous. The only advice I can give you is to try and stay below the radar while you're living with your parents, I was always hot-headed and outspoken which made life difficult for all of us.

Nayana

1. Often I will only offer things such as food, incence or herbs, I would go about this by burying it under the earth, by putting it under a tree or by releasing it into nature. Often these are done with accompanying chants or rythmic drumming.

2. Nature is my altar. I actually have two altars, one has Radha and Krishna on it and the other altars i have for the god/dess are stumps, trees, flat focks, ponds. Whatever I can find becomes my altar temporarily.

3. I celebrate whenever I can, But the special days for me are Beltane and Samhain

4. It is my own buisiness how I worship, if they dissaprove I do not take their comments on board, it is up to me to find my own path. However if you are living with over bearing parents, best not announce your faith until you have moved out. :)

AuroraWillow

Druid of the Olive
This is an old thread, but I hope the OP is still here =)

I worship the Gods of Rome and the Gods of the Gauls. I usually offer anything from grain, to part of my main meal of the day, to wine and olives. I also offer a bit of my morning coffee to the Gods to share with me.

What is on your alter?

Fall decorations, statues, bowls of salt, water and an offering bowl, a cauldron a gemstone tree, candles, incense and holders, a wand, runes/tarot cards for omens, a set of prayer beads and an athame

How do you deal with parents/general family/friends/strangers and their objections?

I've never had a stranger give me a problem, since I don't generally wear my faith on my sleeve. However, as someone who aspires to be a community leader, I expect that will change. My parents think I'm a nutcase and that I ruin Christmas every year by not believing in Christ, and I don't have any friends who are bothered by it since I tend to surround myself with open minded people, if not people who are Pagan themselves.

Roman Gods appreciate offerings, and offer us blessings in return. It is a reciprocal relationship - they don't simply want worship, they genuinely want to assist. But, we offer to them not because we want something, but because they deserve our thanks and praise.
When sacrificing, it's traditional to cover the head and have some sort of music playing in the background to eliminate distraction and to ward off bad omens while worshiping. In addition, Romans were very particular about words and gestures in ritual, and if something did not go correctly - you fumbled the words, got distracted by something or forgot an important part of the ritual such as the offering or its vessel, then the ritual would have to be redone, and an extra offering would have to be given to apologize for the mess up.

Holidays are a little more complicated. The Roman calendar was filled to the brim with holidays, celebrating everything from an agricultural event to the celebration of the anniversary of a military victory or the concecration of a temple. For my part, I celebrate the 8 holidays of the neo-pagan calendar and relate them to the closest holiday of the Roman calendar in date and purpose. Here's a quick run down:

October - Lemuria/Parentalia: a celebration of the dead and the ancestors
December - Saturalia: Celebration of the invincible Sun
February - Lupercalia: Festival of fertility, pastoral, agricultural and female
March - Liberalia: Celebration of human fertility
May - Floralia: Celebration of the vegetative goddess Flora
June - Bacchinalia: Celebration of the grape harvest in honor of Bacchus
August - Ludi Apollonares: Feast/Games of Apollo
September - Feast in honor of the Earth Mother Ops/Tellus

Do you absolutely have to have an alter and do rituals and such to be Pagan?

My mom is Christian and would be devastated and (even worse) disappointed in me if she knew I am Pagan.
I am worried that if I have an alter and such, she will come over to my house, see that, and... well it will
cause a fight and a MAJOR guilt trip will be put on me for "turning my back on God" and "disappointing my family" and such
... ugh... and that will cause me to question my beliefs even more than I already do and I will be end up right where she (my mom) wants me...
under her belief system

Erebus

My mom is Christian and would be devastated and (even worse) disappointed in me if she knew I am Pagan.
I am worried that if I have an alter and such, she will come over to my house, see that, and... well it will
cause a fight and a MAJOR guilt trip will be put on me for "turning my back on God" and "disappointing my family" and such
... ugh... and that will cause me to question my beliefs even more than I already do and I will be end up right where she (my mom) wants me...
under her belief system

In it's loosest sense, Paganism is worship of non-abrahamic gods. This leaves a wide variety of practices and traditions open to you. Some practices do indeed require ritual, others don't.
I would recommend long walks in a secluded area if you wish to get to know your gods without participating in an actual ritual :)

I would recommend long walks in a secluded area if you wish to get to know your gods without participating in an actual ritual :)
that is a good idea, but unfortunately, I live in the city with no secluded areas easily accessible...
and it really doesn't help that I am disabled so I can't drive myself to a secluded area...
there will always be someone with me.

Hioni

I have a Pen
unfortunately, I live in the city with no secluded areas easily accessible...
and it really doesn't help that I am disabled so I can't drive myself to a secluded area...
there will always be someone with me.
The mind is the greatest escape from the rest of the world. I live in a somewhat Similar Situation as VenatorAnima. Any alone time is good time to get to know your gods... Just before falling asleep, when you sit down to do something where your mind tends to wander, let your mind go where you physically cannot, simply take a walk with your mind if not in person.

LuciaStar

Constant Seeker
I tend to offer incense, usually. Sometimes fruits, wine, and whatever else I feel like offering at that moment. (I usually take a moment to think about it, to see if anyone really wants it.)

What is on your alter?
Currently only an incense holder, a couple of candles and a chalice. It did have a rattle, a flute and a few pine cones on it but due to some confusion, I kept it simple until I figure things out.

What holidays do you celebrate and how do you celebrate?
I live under my parents roof so, the best I can do for celebration is do something that honors that deity in some way, but not full out ritual as I don't think my parents would be too comfortable with it.

My parents seem to be alright with it, as well as my friends. I don't put myself out there like I did when I was Wicca. That, and I'm still sorting myself out spiritually right now.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish

• What is on your alter?
  • What holidays do you celebrate and how do you celebrate?

Thank you everyone

I am Kemetic Orthodox/Egyptian faith, and I'd be glad to answer your questions. We offer food and drink offerings, stones, weapons and flowers to our gods. Things they like.

My personal altar contains statues of my gods, a shrine lamp, an incense burner, a bowl for water libations, and a pitcher of water.

I celebrate mostly the Egyptian holidays- The feast of Beautiful Valley, The Feast of the Reunion, Return of the Wandering Goddess, Wep Ronpet, Aset Luminous, etc.

Beautiful Valley is a memorial of our akhu, departed loved ones
Feast of Reunion is a celebration of Hethert and Heru-Wer's love
Return of the Wandering Goddess is a commemoration of when Hethert left the company of the gods and then returned
Wep Ronpet is the Egyptian New Year, including the birthdays of the five children of Nut/Nuit
Aset Luminous is a celebration of Aset

I could careless what my family thinks to be honest. I answer to myself and my gods. I know that sounds selfish, but sometimes that's all there is to it.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish

under her belief system

I would say no. The ancient Egyptians did have an idea or concept of "the altar of the heart".