• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis contradictions?

i have come across some things in the book of genesis that i believe are contradictory, many of them involving adam and eve.an example that has stuck out to me is although christians say incest is wrong,the children of adam and eve would have to have had an incestuous relationship (unless of course there were other humans present).i would like to hear a christian defense of this.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
i have come across some things in the book of genesis that i believe are contradictory, many of them involving adam and eve.an example that has stuck out to me is although christians say incest is wrong,the children of adam and eve would have to have had an incestuous relationship (unless of course there were other humans present).i would like to hear a christian defense of this.

Why not a Jew? (not me, just wondering why Christians only when others take the story to heart as well)

This is an old argument, and not the first time it's been brought up here. There are many arguments, one of them being that the incest laws weren't written yet. (though in my opinion, that argument is rather weak, as I'd imagine the laws of YHWH would be eternal, but... :shrug:)

sorry, i should have included most abrahamic religions.i brought up this topic and christians specifically because i was having a debate with a christian friend of mine on this topic.apologies.i also think the argument you brought up is weak.the ten commandments made people aware that murder was against law,so does that mean murder before then was acceptable?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The simple answer is that Genesis is neither history, nor science. It's theology. "Adam" isn't a literary character, but a literary type.

i think its quite ridiculous to suggest that the story of adam and eve is neither history nor science.by this reasoning any creation myth can be justified,but you would rather only apply these ideas to your own belief.unless of course you are arguing all of genesis is metaphorical.

sojourner

i think its quite ridiculous to suggest that the story of adam and eve is neither history nor science.by this reasoning any creation myth can be justified,but you would rather only apply these ideas to your own belief.unless of course you are arguing all of genesis is metaphorical.
And many are! Yes, I think it quite possible that the majority of Genesis is metaphorical, or allegorical.

If Genesis 1-2 is historical, then we must conclude that there was really only one man and one woman for quite some period of time. Which is ridiculous, for the same reason that the following is ridiculous:

If Gen. 1-2 is scientific, then it's pretty p***-poor science. The sky is not a dome, and the sun is what gives off light. Plus, men and women have the same number of ribs.

And "one man/one woman" just doesn't fit with the rest of what we know about biology. Species arise in groups. Plus the fact, homo sapiens and neanderthal existed simultaneously.

No, Genesis is theology.

i agree that the books of abrahamic religions (and many other religions) are metaphorical in nature.but this makes me wonder why many take these stories so seriously.if a supreme being wanted to make its wishes known to man, would it confuse so many about the creation of man with a metaphorical story that he knew would be misinterperated by so many?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
sorry, i should have included most abrahamic religions.i brought up this topic and christians specifically because i was having a debate with a christian friend of mine on this topic.apologies.i also think the argument you brought up is weak.the ten commandments made people aware that murder was against law,so does that mean murder before then was acceptable?

I believe I, myself, stated that it was weak. :D It's just a common argument that I've heard, not one that I made myself.

I do not follow an Abrahamic faith, so I don't have an argument. I just see it as a missing detail the compilers forgot about.

(BTW, you can hit the "quote" button on the bottom of a post to let someone know you're talking to them. :))

I believe I, myself, stated that it was weak. :D It's just a common argument that I've heard, not one that I made myself.

I do not follow an Abrahamic faith, so I don't have an argument. I just see it as a missing detail the compilers forgot about.

(BTW, you can hit the "quote" button on the bottom of a post to let someone know you're talking to them. :))
i was actually saying we were in agreement,sorry if i was not clear.thanks for the tip:)

sojourner

i agree that the books of abrahamic religions (and many other religions) are metaphorical in nature.but this makes me wonder why many take these stories so seriously.if a supreme being wanted to make its wishes known to man, would it confuse so many about the creation of man with a metaphorical story that he knew would be misinterperated by so many?
God didn't write the stories. Human beings did. Why do you seem to think that that the only way God speaks to us is through the Bible? God makes God's design known to me through so much more than the Bible.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Because God created ALL races on the 6th day. This means all other races (Asian, Hindu, African etc) existed outside of Eden already. Adam and Eve was the only race inside of Eden. But when they broke Gods rule and took from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, God expelled them. The children of Adam and Eve mated with the people that already existed outside of Eden. Have you read Genesis at all? This is very basic stuff.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Because God created ALL races on the 6th day. This means all other races (Asian, Hindu, African etc) existed outside of Eden already. Adam and Eve was the only race inside of Eden. But when they broke Gods rule and took from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, God expelled them. The children of Adam and Eve mated with the people that already existed outside of Eden. Have you read Genesis at all? This is very basic stuff.
Really?

Would you be so kind as to present the verse(s)?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Genesis 1: 25 is the end of the 5th day of creation.

Genesis 1: 26 starts the 6th day in which: " Then God said, " Let us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."

Genesis 1: 28-30 God was just telling to be fruitful and multiply etc

Genesis 1:31 Ends the sixth day: "Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was good, So the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

How could he create man as male and female in Genesis 1:27 if He did not create Eve from Adams rib until, Genesis 2: 22? Because He created all races in Genesis 1:27 and indeed the Lord looked down and it was good. Eve was not created till after the 7th day of rest when after God told Adam to name all the beast of the earth. Adam and Eve were special because it is this genealogy that yields us Jesus several thousand years later. All other races where there outside of Eden though living a ordinary human existence.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Interesting. I've never heard that argument before.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Interesting. I've never heard that argument before.

Its right there on the first page of Genesis for the past several thousand years. It is not a new concept at all. All you have to do is read it carefully to see it.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Its right there on the first page of Genesis for the past several thousand years. It is not a new concept at all. All you have to do is read it carefully to see it.

All I've read are two separate stories from two separate authors.

What you've provided might be closer to what the compilers were thinking.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Genesis 1: 25 is the end of the 5th day of creation.

Genesis 1: 26 starts the 6th day in which: " Then God said, " Let us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."

Genesis 1: 28-30 God was just telling to be fruitful and multiply etc

Genesis 1:31 Ends the sixth day: "Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was good, So the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

How could he create man as male and female in Genesis 1:27 if He did not create Eve from Adams rib until, Genesis 2: 22? Because He created all races in Genesis 1:27 and indeed the Lord looked down and it was good. Eve was not created till after the 7th day of rest when after God told Adam to name all the beast of the earth. Adam and Eve were special because it is this genealogy that yields us Jesus several thousand years later. All other races where there outside of Eden though living a ordinary human existence.
Talk about a leap of faith...

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Its not like I am one lining because I cannot think of anything intelligent to say..
ROTFLMAO

What you presented that you claim convinces you that all the other races were created on the sixth day is at best wishful thinking.

However, if the Forer Effect is good enough for you, then by all means run with it.

And my original comment still stands:
Talk about a leap of faith...