• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis or Narnia?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Which is the better creation story, Genesis or the one from the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis?

What makes one more viable to religious belief than the other? Is the only difference between them that we know who the author of Narnia is?

In 3,000 years what do you think the chances are that there will be a new breed of creationists who believe the world was created by a lion's roar?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
People are capable of believing anything that tickles their fancy. Plato created the myth of Atlantis, and nowadays that myth is believed as fact by a astounding number of people. What's to say that in 3000 years, there will not be an astounding number of people who fancy that the world was created by a lion's roar?

MdmSzdWhtGuy

There are an amazing number of people currently inhabiting this planet who think either that a Jewish Carpenter or an Arab Camel Trader have all the answers, so why is it any stranger or less likely that a lion's roar created the world?

I have read the Chronicles of Narnia, and find them much more readable and uplifting than the bible, which I have also read. I don't know if my level of entertainment should be how I choose which one to beleive, but a lion as king does make an awfully neat story.

B.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Who cares. Myths are great, so long as they are treated as myths. In Norse Mythology, the earth is originally created when a cow licked the salt from a large chunk of ice. :) That's our myth. Of course, if we are talking science, I don't think you'll find a single asatraur who will argue that that is how it actually happened.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The old Lions roar story again!
I would have thought that was established as fact by now, after 3000 years.
It will start up the old creationist argument again you know.
:bonk:

Terry

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Where C.S. Lewis dropped the ball, of course, was by not claiming that God (or the lion, as the case may be) gave these words, inspired these words, provided some sort of plate, etc. . . in some desolate place where there were no witnesses but the author. That seems to be a key element in getting your book to be believed by a lot of people.

So 3000 years from now, probably won't be too many people thinking a lion's roar created the world. However, it could have been the beginnings of a great religion, with the right back story.

B.

Fire Empire

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Where C.S. Lewis dropped the ball, of course, was by not claiming that God (or the lion, as the case may be) gave these words, inspired these words, provided some sort of plate, etc. . . in some desolate place where there were no witnesses but the author. That seems to be a key element in getting your book to be believed by a lot of people.

So 3000 years from now, probably won't be too many people thinking a lion's roar created the world. However, it could have been the beginnings of a great religion, with the right back story.

B.
On the other hand, George Lucas never did any of that either --yet there is already a reasonably sized "Jedi" religion (some members of which are in this forum). Of course, we don't recall any Stars Wars dialogue that would compare to a Genesis-style origin. So this might be a moot point.

Tolkien's Silmarillion also has an interesting version of creation in which the world was made from music. We wonder why there is no "Middle Earth" religion yet?