• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving God human qualities

Just_me_Mike

Many ask why do some try to give human qualities to God.

I believe that God uses humans to perpetuate God's glory and eternal power. I don't think God sits in a vacuum, but has a purpose in creating us, and it is because of this purpose, he is absolutely interested in us.

Morse

To Extinguish
A scientist has a purpose in setting up a lab rat experiment, does he constantly mess with the lab rats when the experiment is underway?

And furthermore, why would God use flawed creatures to represent his eternal power and glory? I agree that a higher power may have a purpose in creating us, but the line of logic that leads from Purpose to active interest is flawed.

Just_me_Mike

A scientist has a purpose in setting up a lab rat experiment, does he constantly mess with the lab rats when the experiment is underway?

And furthermore, why would God use flawed creatures to represent his eternal power and glory? I agree that a higher power may have a purpose in creating us, but the line of logic that leads from Purpose to active interest is flawed.
I don't think we are flawed. I think that a creator must create perfect things. The creator may create parts and bits that by themselves appear to us flawed, but how can a perfect creator create things that are not perfect?

Perhaps, the apparent flaws are merely perfection in another form, that we have a hard time understanding. Isn't that possible?

Just_me_Mike

Does this fall into line with "man was created in God's image"?

What does that mean to you?
Yes it falls within that. In other words, one of my theories is that and infinite God would/could create other beings that live infinitely, yet always pay homage to the Father in that we only exist because of the initial power of God to begin with. In that way we always stay below God, but enjoy and exercise the power of being God (once we leave here).

So in that passage, it is a declaration of the purpose of these beings, that some will go on to become as Jesus became, whenever it was that Jesus became who he is, maybe fifty worlds ago? Who knows?

Morse

To Extinguish
I don't think we are flawed. I think that a creator must create perfect things. The creator may cre
ate parts and bits that by themselves appear to us flawed, but how can a perfect creator create things that are not perfect?

Perhaps, the apparent flaws are merely perfection in another form, that we have a hard time understanding. Isn't that possible?

Actually yes I have thought the same thing, but I still disagree with your other notions.

Morses Code

Somewhere in there is something about perfection that moderately aligns with your idea.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I don't think we are flawed. I think that a creator must create perfect things. The creator may create parts and bits that by themselves appear to us flawed, but how can a perfect creator create things that are not perfect?
Out of curiosity, what do you mean (or believe you mean) when you use the 'word perfect'?

And what is it about creators that people have an itch to continually label them as perfect?

Thirdly, again out of interest, why do you think (or think you think) that a perfect creator cannot creat an imperfect creation?

Listen, feel free to ignore these questions, they might not even be that relevant. I'm just a curious wee dude today.

itwillend said:
All sorts of things are possible. It's pretty hard though to tell whether you're statement involves a possible thing because it's really vague.

Just_me_Mike

Out of curiosity, what do you mean (or believe you mean) when you use the 'word perfect'?
Perfect - that which reflects and coincides with the will of God.

And what is it about creators that people have an itch to continually label them as perfect?
The book I believe is from God, says God is perfect. That's all.

Thirdly, again out of interest, why do you think (or think you think) that a perfect creator cannot creat an imperfect creation?
Because it would render the perfect creator not perfect, by the nature of the imperfect creation.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Perfect - that which reflects and coincides with the will of God.
Well, that's a fairly precise definition. I imagine though when someone (like Morse) uses the term flawed (as in imperfect) they do not mean "does not reflect and coincide with the will of God".

itwillend said:
The book I believe is from God, says God is perfect. That's all.
I was thinking about the folk who wrote the book and the folk who wrote the books before that book, but it's no major concern, I understand where you are coming from.

itwillend said:
Because it would render the perfect creator not perfect, by the nature of the imperfect creation.
If God's creation did not reflect and coincide with the will of God, then God would not reflect and coincide witht the will of God?

That doesn't appear to make a great deal of sense.

Erebus

To be perfectly honest I believe that humans give deities (deities in general as opposed to just Yahweh) anthropomorphic characteristics because this is the only way most people would be comfortable associating themselves with a completely abstract and utterly non-human entity (which is what I believe deities are).

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God uses humans to perpetuate His power and glory?! His power would fade without us? His glory, in a universe of billions of galaxies, would be diminished if we disparaged him?
Give me a break.
Would you be bothered if a paramecium in Hong Kong gave you the finger? How much more insignificant must we appear to an omnipotent God!

Yerda

Veteran Member
Would you be bothered if a paramecium in Hong Kong gave you the finger? How much more insignificant must we appear to an omnipotent God!
If you ever look at paramecium under the microscope you'll find they're quite endearing wee guys.

Just_me_Mike

God uses humans to perpetuate His power and glory?! His power would fade without us? His glory, in a universe of billions of galaxies, would be diminished if we disparaged him?
Give me a break.
This post reflects a view that if there is a God and if he created us, that it was purely arbitrary.
Give me a break please.

We as humans find tremendous value in even the smallest things on Earth, so it would be no suprize that God uses us in the same way.

To each his own though...

Morse

To Extinguish
This post reflects a view that if there is a God and if he created us, that it was purely arbitrary.
Give me a break please.

We as humans find tremendous value in even the smallest things on Earth, so it would be no suprize that God uses us in the same way.

To each his own though...

Not that I'm taking sides or entering the serious argument here, but..

logging1.jpg

richardlowellt

Many ask why do some try to give human qualities to God.

I believe that God uses humans to perpetuate God's glory and eternal power. I don't think God sits in a vacuum, but has a purpose in creating us, and it is because of this purpose, he is absolutely interested in us.
If he was so interested in us why would he infest the planet with parasitic organisms and disease? Why create a planet with a molten core that promotes death and destruction for those he is suppose to be interested in?

Morse

To Extinguish
If he was so interested in us why would he infest the planet with parasitic organisms and disease? Why create a planet with a molten core that promotes death and destruction for those he is suppose to be interested in?

Asking God to not infest the world with parasitic organisms is the equivalent to asking him to take us off the planet.

Molten Cores are like Molten Corps. Superior to you :D