• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is a woman - agree or disagree?

14sammie41

I beleive God in the Christian faith is a woman and the interesting thing about this is there is more evidence of God being a woman than being a man and it makes a lot more sense - in my eyes anyway - do you agree or disagree and why?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I have not seen evidence to suggest that the Christian concept of God is female, although I have come across arguments that the Holy Spirit could be 'female'. The strongest argument is that God lacks gender.

My own opinion: God is male, female and Other.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is no reason to judge god in those terms in the first place, its presumptuous in my opinion. There is no reason to assume that god falls in the same categories that we fall in.

However, if i have to pick, it would be either that god has no gender, or something along the lines of what Madhuri said, in some complicated way that i don't fully understand :D

I refer to god as he, not because i view him as a male though. Merely because thats how he mentions himself in the Quran, so i'm used to that. And in Arabic, the use of "he" doesn't necessarily mean male.

Orbital

Not only do you have evidence for a god, but you have evidence that shows that he reproduces sexually and posses the male parts.

You are amazing. Let's see this.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
If God exists, I think that it wouldn't really have a humanistic gender, nor would it look like an earth animal (humans included). It may have its own gender, its own species, etc.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
My concept of God is beyond masculine and feminine, especially in the physical sense. :)

Christian God concept, not my own, displays a more masculine attitude, in my opinion. This may be because of the society He was revealed in, though.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The image of God as female is brilliant and suitable. On one hand, she's fickle, arbitrary, and tempermental, and on the other she takes you in, gives you comfort and nurtures you.

And on the other hand she wore a glove.

"Why has thou forsaken me?"
And no one knows where the night is going
And no one knows where the wine is flowing
Oh, love, I need you, I need you, I need you, I need you
I need you now

'The Guests', by Leonard Cohen

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just realized the word presumptuous isn't really accurately describing what i think of limiting god to those terms.

Is there a word for making too many assumptions? Is it presumptuous?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's the one. :)

Thanks, thats good to know.

That is what i thought in the beginning, but then i put it in the dictionary to check, and it brought up in Arabic a word that is a little too much. Something like being too bold or lacking manners, and thats not what i meant at all.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Thanks, thats good to know.

That is what i thought in the beginning, but then i put it in the dictionary to check, and it brought up in Arabic a word that is a little too much. Something like being too bold or lacking manners, and thats not what i meant at all.
Presumption most generally means that boldness, but the reason they are so bold is taken to be such assumptions.

People who are so bold as to assign attribute to God would seem to be the sense you wanted to portray.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Presumption most generally means that boldness, but the reason they are so bold is taken to be such assumptions.

People who are so bold as to assign attribute to God would seem to be the sense you wanted to portray.

In that sense it follows indeed. I got the impression however that its boldness related to lack of manners, like someone who gets used to you and says things that might bother you although the relationship doesn't allow this.

In other words, i thought it would be taken that i'm concerned about this being inappropriate towards god in some form, and that wasn't my point, so i wanted to make sure. I meant by presumptuous that this would be making too many assumptions about god being like us with no reason, in my opinion.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I got the impression however that its boldness related to lack of manners, like someone who gets used to you and says things that might bother you although the relationship doesn't allow this.
It's rudeness when someone makes assumptions about 'you'.

I suppose for God it would be rude.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's rudeness when someone makes assumptions about 'you'.

I suppose for God it would be rude.

It could be, but i think the position of god makes it different. By that i mean when applying this to god, his/her position is much different and more complicated than humans making assumptions about each other.

We'll also need to make distinction between the different ideas of god. Since in some cases people believe god to have communicated with humans in some form or another, in other cases no such communication is believed to have occurred, or will occur. Whether god has communicated or not, surely will make a difference. Though honestly when thinking about it right now i can't decide for certain which case is more unjustified to make assumptions.

Add to that, assumptions in themselves aren't necessarily rude, but rather unjustified ones. Making to many assumptions out of nowhere is rude. Finally i wasn't of course talking about it from this idea, as i didn't really think about it in terms of rude or not, but rather like i said in terms of there being no reason to think that god is male or female.

A

angellous_evangellous

If God weren't a female, then he wouldn't be right all the time.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is interesting.
Can you please give a short introduction about the grammatical genders of Arabic? :)

Sure, if i can that is :D

I don't understand the question to be honest. Could you explain more what do you mean by grammatical genders?

Marble

Rolling Marble
Sure, if i can that is :D

I don't understand the question to be honest. Could you explain more what do you mean by grammatical genders?
he, she, it - masculine, feminine, neutral
In Arabic you seem to have more grammatical genders than those 3 because you wrote that "he" in Arabic is not always for man.