• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is all in your head?

meee223

From the Toronto Star today:...

The human brain tries to explain the world around us, applying whatever it knows to develop a reasonable explanation for what it sees and experiences.
And for the things it can't explain, the brain simply fills in the holes with its own neat little invention, a new book says.
God.
"Our principle concern was to understand why religion works," says Lionel Tiger, and anthropologist and co-author of the new book God's Brain.
In the book, Tiger and psychiatrist Michael McGuire argue that some 150,000 years ago, humans figured out they were all going to die. This changed everything. Humans began to wonder about the purpose of their lives and what came next.
Suddenly, the world stopped making sense. This was stressful. We wanted an explanation.
The human brain needed answers, so it created God, an afterlife and religious stories that explained the world around us.
Having answers released serotonin into the brain, a natural stress reliever, and it was good. For millennia to follow, Tiger and McGuire argue, the rituals of religion provided more comfort, more serotonin and more followers.
"All the religions map the major transition points and crises of human life, and make them easier to deal with," Tiger says.
"There is almost always a complex ritual that has to happen and people can focus on that rather than the drama of what's actually happening."
That contract began to fall apart in the last century or two, however, as science answered some of the questions religion once addressed.
We still needed that serotonin boost, however, if only from artificial sources, Tiger says. "While people may not be going to church, they are going to the medicine cabinet."
Tiger and McGuire aren't the first to say that man may have created God, rather than the other way around.
American geneticist Dean Hamer wrote The God Gene six years ago, arguing humans are "hard-wired" to believe in some sort of deity.
John Shelby Spong, a retired Episcopal bishop of New Jersey and author, says that humans invented God to make sense of the world once we figured out that we will all die. And French philosopher Voltaire posited more than 300 years ago that, "If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him."
Tiger says there is nothing in the book to offend true believers, saying they might see the brain as "God's instrument."
"If you accept that there's a God, then what's God's way of operating?"

comments anyone?

This seems quite likely to me. I have held the view that religious belief is an evolutionary mechanism for years. It makes me smile every time I see research being done in that direction.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's an old 1800s or 1700s idea. I don't think it stands up to Scott Atran and other recent researchers and thinkers who have put together a lot of information on this subject of why humans invented god.

footprints

The human brain tries to explain the world around us, applying whatever it knows to develop a reasonable explanation for what it sees and experiences.
And for the things it can't explain, the brain simply fills in the holes with its own neat little invention, a new book says.
God.
"Our principle concern was to understand why religion works," says Lionel Tiger, and anthropologist and co-author of the new book God's Brain.
In the book, Tiger and psychiatrist Michael McGuire argue that some 150,000 years ago, humans figured out they were all going to die. This changed everything. Humans began to wonder about the purpose of their lives and what came next.
Suddenly, the world stopped making sense. This was stressful. We wanted an explanation.
The human brain needed answers, so it created God, an afterlife and religious stories that explained the world around us.
Having answers released serotonin into the brain, a natural stress reliever, and it was good. For millennia to follow, Tiger and McGuire argue, the rituals of religion provided more comfort, more serotonin and more followers.
"All the religions map the major transition points and crises of human life, and make them easier to deal with," Tiger says.
"There is almost always a complex ritual that has to happen and people can focus on that rather than the drama of what's actually happening."
That contract began to fall apart in the last century or two, however, as science answered some of the questions religion once addressed.
We still needed that serotonin boost, however, if only from artificial sources, Tiger says. "While people may not be going to church, they are going to the medicine cabinet."
Tiger and McGuire aren't the first to say that man may have created God, rather than the other way around.
American geneticist Dean Hamer wrote The God Gene six years ago, arguing humans are "hard-wired" to believe in some sort of deity.
John Shelby Spong, a retired Episcopal bishop of New Jersey and author, says that humans invented God to make sense of the world once we figured out that we will all die. And French philosopher Voltaire posited more than 300 years ago that, "If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him."
Tiger says there is nothing in the book to offend true believers, saying they might see the brain as "God's instrument."

comments anyone?

I would agree, that in this day and time, God is of the mind. This also aligns with all the paths of enlightenment which all the great spiritual leaders of our history have left us. It all pertains to the human brain and how we perceive knowledge.

As for the rest of the article, it is all perception based. Not all people seek to find the answers to the universe, or even to life itself. The human brain isn't naturally programmed that way and irresponsible and suggestive to imply that it is. This is what some scientists or would be scientists do. Many others just accept life as it is without having to know the answers to anything.

S-word

I would agree, that in this day and time, God is of the mind. This also aligns with all the paths of enlightenment which all the great spiritual leaders of our history have left us. It all pertains to the human brain and how we perceive knowledge.

As for the rest of the article, it is all perception based. Not all people seek to find the answers to the universe, or even to life itself. The human brain isn't naturally programmed that way and irresponsible and suggestive to imply that it is. This is what some scientists or would be scientists do. Many others just accept life as it is without having to know the answers to anything.

Convince me that what ever was in the beginning has not become who you are, if you are not connected to the beginning then you cannot exist, for all that was, is and will be, has always been in one form or another, no thing has evolved from nothing.

Convince me that the animating principle that was in the beginning and which pervades the entire universal body and began the evolutionary process, has ceased to exist, and if it has not ceased to exist and continues to live, convince me that it has not been gathering to itself all the information and experiences of all the life forms that it has become in its eternal evolution. Convince me, that it will one day not evolve into a fourth dimensional being, who is able to descend along the genetic thread of life which binds him to the infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitesimally small singularity that was spatially separated by the animating principle that pervades all that ever was, all that now is, and all that ever will be, where he who is the Omega who the Alpha had become, will say; "Let there be Light." then tell me that God is only a figment of the imaginations of the minds of man, for only man with his evolved intellect can comprehend mind.

Convince me that this is the only cycle of universal activity that has ever been. Convince me that this universal body will not, one day in time, roll up as a scroll and the elements will become so excited they will burn up and fall as massive columns of fire beyond all measure in height and depth into a great gatherer/black hole, and be accelerated through the worm hole at a speed that far exceeds the speed of light, only to be spewed out in another position of space-time as liquid like electromagnetic energy in the billion of degrees, to where the light from its previous position in space-time, will take billions and billions and billions of years to reach.

Convince me, that the quantum of that electromagnetic energy, which is wave particles that are not particles at all, having zero mass and no electric charge, and yet carry angular and linear momentum, which is the animating principle that pervades all that is, in fact “is” all that was, is, and ever will be.

Convince me, that those invisible wave particles are not gathered together to become that which we perceive as sub-atomic particles, which are gathered together to become that which we perceive as atoms, which are gathered together to become that which we perceive as molecules, which when gathered together become that which we perceive as the cluster of galaxies that are falling in toward one of the many great gatherers (Super duper Black holes,) where that universe of Galaxies in which another great intellect will have evolved, will roll up as a scroll with a great hissing noise, and the elements will become so excited they will burn up and fall as massive columns of fire beyond all measure in height and depth into the Great Abyss, where all that is, will be accelerated to speeds far, far in excess of the speed of light to be spewed out in another position in space-time, to which the light from its two previous positions in space-time will take billion upon billions and billions of years to reach, and it, the latest universe in its new position in space-time will have evolved far beyond that which it was in its two previous positions.

When you have convinced me of all this, I will cease to believe that the great eternal and boundless cosmic cloud of animated non-particles that are generally regarded as stable elementary particles, which we perceive as heavenly bodies all occupying their separate positions in space-time, in which great intellects had evolved, and in which universal bodies, we evolved, is God.

Convince me that the eternal and boundless cosmic cloud is not the shimmering evolving mind that is God in whom we all exist. I believe that God is today, as he was yesterday, and will be into all eternity, He is the only constant in that he is constantly growing/evolving. Show to me a mind that has ceased to evolve and I will show to you a mind that has ceased to exist.

Last edited:

Ozzie

[/quote]I hope they have constrained themselves somewhat in defining what religion does?

footprints

Convince me that what ever was in the beginning has not become who you are, if you are not connected to the beginning then you cannot exist, for all that was, is and will be, has always been in one form or another, no thing has evolved from nothing.

Convince me that the animating principle that was in the beginning and which pervades the entire universal body and began the evolutionary process, has ceased to exist, and if it has not ceased to exist and continues to live, convince me that it has not been gathering to itself all the information and experiences of all the life forms that it has become in its eternal evolution. Convince me, that it will one day not evolve into a fourth dimensional being, who is able to descend along the genetic thread of life which binds him to the infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitesimally small singularity that was spatially separated by the animating principle that pervades all that ever was, all that now is, and all that ever will be, where he who is the Omega who the Alpha had become, will say; "Let there be Light." then tell me that God is only a figment of the imaginations of the minds of man, for only man with his evolved intellect can comprehend mind.

Convince me that this is the only cycle of universal activity that has ever been. Convince me that this universal body will not, one day in time, roll up as a scroll and the elements will become so excited they will burn up and fall as massive columns of fire beyond all measure in height and depth into a great gatherer/black hole, and be accelerated through the worm hole at a speed that far exceeds the speed of light, only to be spewed out in another position of space-time as liquid like electromagnetic energy in the billion of degrees, to where the light from its previous position in space-time, will take billions and billions and billions of years to reach.

Convince me, that the quantum of that electromagnetic energy, which is wave particles that are not particles at all, having zero mass and no electric charge, and yet carry angular and linear momentum, which is the animating principle that pervades all that is, in fact “is” all that was, is, and ever will be.

Convince me, that those invisible wave particles are not gathered together to become that which we perceive as sub-atomic particles, which are gathered together to become that which we perceive as atoms, which are gathered together to become that which we perceive as molecules, which when gathered together become that which we perceive as the cluster of galaxies that are falling in toward one of the many great gatherers (Super duper Black holes,) where that universe of Galaxies in which another great intellect will have evolved, will roll up as a scroll with a great hissing noise, and the elements will become so excited they will burn up and fall as massive columns of fire beyond all measure in height and depth into the Great Abyss, where all that is, will be accelerated to speeds far, far in excess of the speed of light to be spewed out in another position in space-time, to which the light from its two previous positions in space-time will take billion upon billions and billions of years to reach, and it, the latest universe in its new position in space-time will have evolved far beyond that which it was in its two previous positions.

When you have convinced me of all this, I will cease to believe that the great eternal and boundless cosmic cloud of animated non-particles that are generally regarded as stable elementary particles, which we perceive as heavenly bodies all occupying their separate positions in space-time, in which great intellects had evolved, and in which universal bodies, we evolved, is God.

Convince me that the eternal and boundless cosmic cloud is not the shimmering evolving mind that is God in whom we all exist. I believe that God is today, as he was yesterday, and will be into all eternity, He is the only constant in that he is constantly growing/evolving. Show to me a mind that has ceased to evolve and I will show to you a mind that has ceased to exist.

Hi S-Word,

I need not convince you of anything, you have already convinced yourself.

Your belief has just as much chance of being correct as any other belief on the planet.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

I disagree. People, not brains, do that.
As far as God being a product of human imagination - I have no trouble whatsoever with the idea that my God is a product of my mind.
God as I see God and God as God is in God are different things.

S-word

Hi S-Word,

I need not convince you of anything, you have already convinced yourself.

Your belief has just as much chance of being correct as any other belief on the planet.

Quite right, I am convinced of my belief which is the corralation of the best models that science and religious beliefs have so far offered as to the origin and future destiny of the evolving universe, and until I am convinced that they are incorrect, I will continue to hold to those beliefs. But as you say, only one belief can be correct, what is your belief?

Do you believe that, what ever was in the beginning has evolved an intellect that is capable of comprehending mind, and that evolved intellect is manifested, in only one known species which, whatever was in the beginning has evolved into, and that species is mankind who is not the end of the evolutionary process? And knowing that all species are in a constant state of evolution, what do you believe will evolve from the body of mankind, in which the constant evolving intellect is currently manifested?

But if you cannot accept my belief as being the correct one, which obviousely you don't and that is your prerogative, then you must hold, according to the accummulated data that has been gathered to the mind in Man, a belief that you consider closer to the realisation of what has happened in the past, is currently happening, and which is most probible to occur in the future, or at least know of a belief that explains it better.

So please feel free to voice your belief, something that seems to be a rarity on this forum, as many seem to hold to the seagull form of debate, "Fly in crap on other people posts, then fly out."

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
God along with all other gods of all other times and nations were and are born of the mind. It is from the mind's imagination and intelligence that humans created God and gods along with all of their aspects and mythologies. My question is, since humans seem to be the only species on Earth able to concieve and articulate these ideas, who or what gave us the ability to do so? I have an answer, I'm just wondering if anybody else would care to take a stab at it?

/Adramelek\

Last edited:

I just don't understand why people like yourself have to place the label "god" on the universe and our understanding of it. From what I've gathered you trust in the understanding of evolution and you're cool with any other solid unmovable ideas the scientific community has tested, i.e. the law of gravity. If that's the case you are in a boat no different from any atheist or non-theist. We just don't label the universe as "god." Especially for an atheist like myself, if I were to announce a belief in a god or deity, I would be expected to follow the Bible and it would most likely be assumed that I believe the hysterics of Biblical texts that speak of dragons, life after death, immortality, levitation, healing & miracles of the like.. If I misunderstood your post I'm sorry, but I will say I've found that trying to "convince" people of abandoning god when they've convinced themselves that the world is wrong in all it's observed is all but impossible.

logician

Quite right, I am convinced of my belief which is the corralation of the best models that science and religious beliefs have so far offered as to the origin and future destiny of the evolving universe, and until I am convinced that they are incorrect, I will continue to hold to those beliefs. But as you say, only one belief can be correct, what is your belief?

Do you believe that, what ever was in the beginning has evolved an intellect that is capable of comprehending mind, and that evolved intellect is manifested, in only one known species which, whatever was in the beginning has evolved into, and that species is mankind who is not the end of the evolutionary process? And knowing that all species are in a constant state of evolution, what do you believe will evolve from the body of mankind, in which the constant evolving intellect is currently manifested?

But if you cannot accept my belief as being the correct one, which obviousely you don't and that is your prerogative, then you must hold, according to the accummulated data that has been gathered to the mind in Man, a belief that you consider closer to the realisation of what has happened in the past, is currently happening, and which is most probible to occur in the future, or at least know of a belief that explains it better.

So please feel free to voice your belief, something that seems to be a rarity on this forum, as many seem to hold to the seagull form of debate, "Fly in crap on other people posts, then fly out."

This concept is refuted by the fact that evolultion has no purpose or goal, indeed, human evolution has merely been a sideshow of evolution on earth, and certainly was not preordained.

S.J. Gould has written much on this subject, as is worth reading.

S-word

I just don't understand why people like yourself have to place the label "god" on the universe and our understanding of it. From what I've gathered you trust in the understanding of evolution and you're cool with any other solid unmovable ideas the scientific community has tested, i.e. the law of gravity. If that's the case you are in a boat no different from any atheist or non-theist. We just don't label the universe as "god." Especially for an atheist like myself, if I were to announce a belief in a god or deity, I would be expected to follow the Bible and it would most likely be assumed that I believe the hysterics of Biblical texts that speak of dragons, life after death, immortality, levitation, healing & miracles of the like.. If I misunderstood your post I'm sorry, but I will say I've found that trying to "convince" people of abandoning god when they've convinced themselves that the world is wrong in all it's observed is all but impossible.

"God": The single supreme agency postulated in some philosophhical systems to explain the phenonena of the world, having a nature variously conceived in such terms as prime mover, an immanent vital force, or infinity.

"God": The originator and ruler of the universe. The "Omega,: is the Most High intellect that evolves from the 'Alpha," who is the originator of all that exista, and the "Omega" is a fourth dimensional being who is able to descend along the genetic thread of life that binds him to the "Alpha, with who he is one, and is the observer who says,"Let there be Light." Does that answer your question?

Zadok

Zadok

Having answers released serotonin into the brain, a natural stress reliever, and it was good.

comments anyone?

What I find interesting is that even if G-d is a “necessary” invention of the brain it does appear that the article agrees that people are better off for it.

The argument is that G-d and religion was a “necessary” invention of the brain to keep people sane. What I find interesting is that non-believers rejoice in this revelation of their own insanity. :shrug:

Zadok

footprints

My belief, simply put, is that every belief stands a chance of being correct. This doesn't mean to say that one belief is correct over all others, it simply means as it says, that every belief stands a chance of being correct.

Look you could be right. On a personal level, I tend to lean more at this point in time to the premise, that many species carry the same intellect as humans. I really do not see humans as being special in any way, shape or form.

What has happened before, surely has the possiblity and probablity of happening again, providing the conditions are right. What has happened multiple times before, has a greater possibility and probability of happening again. Again, of course, providing the conditions are right.

Pertaining to how mankind or any other species will evolve, I hold no beliefs down this line, only speculation. Based on trend analysis with humans to date, one suggestion is our jaw will change, perhaps to accommodate a bigger brain. If, of course, we do fully evolve, such as the dramatic change from reptile to mammal, many things become suggested possibilities and probabilities.

Your belief may be correct, then again it may be wrong or even partially correct and partially wrong. Time alone will be the judge of this.

I can only say again, the belief I hold, is that all beliefs have a probability of being correct.

Each is entitled to their own belief and to their own intelligence, and what they choose to do with either of them.

S-word

quote=footprints; My belief, simply put, is that every belief stands a chance of being correct. This doesn't mean to say that one belief is correct over all others, it simply means as it says, that every belief stands a chance of being correct. [/quote]

I agree

Look you could be right. On a personal level, I tend to lean more at this point in time to the premise, that many species carry the same intellect as humans. I really do not see humans as being special in any way, shape or form.

Having eyes that can see, and having ears that can hear, I must disagree with your observations.

What has happened before, surely has the possiblity and probablity of happening again, providing the conditions are right. What has happened multiple times before, has a greater possibility and probability of happening again. Again, of course, providing the conditions are right.

Agreed

Pertaining to how mankind or any other species will evolve, I hold no beliefs down this line, only speculation.

I am assuming that you do believe that the evolutionary process has not ceased with mankind the latest animal species that is Known to have evolved as a new species

Based on trend analysis with humans to date, one suggestion is our jaw will change, perhaps to accommodate a bigger brain. If, of course, we do fully evolve, such as the dramatic change from reptile to mammal, many things become suggested possibilities and probabilities.

"If," being the opperative word. Although If one has received a visitation from their far distant descendant who has evolved from the body of mankind, "The Son of Man," then the "IF" is taken out of the equasion. I would debate the flimsy evidence of mamals having evolved from reptiles, or reptile-like mamals, but not in this thread.

Your belief may be correct, then again it may be wrong or even partially correct and partially wrong. Time alone will be the judge of this.

Agreed! And until the basis of my belief is judged to be wrong by myself, it will remain the correct belief for me. Although my belief is in a constant state of evolution, you will never find me today where I was yesterday, nor will you find me tomorrow, where I am today, I am but the compilation of all the data that I have accumulated to this day.

I can only say again, the belief I hold, is that all beliefs have a probability of being correct.

Agreed, even mine.

Each is entitled to their own belief and to their own intelligence, and what they choose to do with either of them

I totally agree with you, and when people refuse to afford to me that concideration and attack my belief, with insults and sacasm, they will receive it back twofold.
I thank you for concidered opinions and I agree that you are entitaled to believe as you wish.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
What I find interesting is that even if G-d is a “necessary” invention of the brain it does appear that the article agrees that people are better off for it.

The argument is that G-d and religion was a “necessary” invention of the brain to keep people sane. What I find interesting is that non-believers rejoice in this revelation of their own insanity. :shrug:

Zadok

No, God is not an invention of the brain to "keep people sane". It was keep human society and morality in check and create a shared ritualistic mythology which aided in the formation of said societies. It was formed out of a need for populations to share morality - but you do not need religion or God as a means of doing so.

Do you seriously think that being an atheist means that I am insane?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

God.

comments anyone?
I haven't read God's Brain, but it seems to me the author misrepresents The God Gene. Hamer carefully and repeatedly points out that his research has no relevance to the question of God's existence.