• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goddess Sati

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Good question, Marble. All the stories do have meaning, but I can't say that I know what it is in this story. I'll look into it.

ConfusedKuri

Sati? I always thought that was the custom of rajput women to set themselves on fire along with their dead husband's corpse.

Marble

Rolling Marble
Dakshayani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dākshāyani is also known as Satī, Gaurī, Umā, Aparnā, Sivakāmini and by over a thousand other names; a listing is to be found in the Lalithā Sahasranāmam
Thanks, but I'm rather interested to find out the spritual meaning behind her myth.

Sati? I always thought that was the custom of rajput women to set themselves on fire along with their dead husband's corpse.
There is also a goddess with that name.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought that Sanatana Dharma was monotheistic.

'gods' and 'goddesses' are not the one God.
What makes this different from a polytheistic religion is that the polytheistic religion does not include that One Original Supreme Being from which all the 'god and goddesses' are manifest. But in Hinduism, there is one Supreme Creator like in the Abrahamic religions.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

'gods' and 'goddesses' are not the one God.
What makes this different from a polytheistic religion is that the polytheistic religion does not include that One Original Supreme Being from which all the 'god and goddesses' are manifest. But in Hinduism, there is one Supreme Creator like in the Abrahamic religions.

Why call them gods and goddesses if there is only one god? I thought that they were called devas.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Why call them gods and goddesses if there is only one god? I thought that they were called devas.

It what English-speaking people decided to term them. They also use the term 'demi-god' for some denizens of the heavenly planets, even though demi-god means 'half-god' and is not an accurate description at all.

So what we have in terminology is a distinction between the one God (with a capital G) and the expansions or manifestations of aspects of that one God termed as 'gods' with a lower case g. Does that make sense?
Then the 'demi-gods' are just souls like you and me who live in 'higher' (heavenly) realms.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

It what English-speaking people decided to term them. They also use the term 'demi-god' for some denizens of the heavenly planets, even though demi-god means 'half-god' and is not an accurate description at all.

So what we have in terminology is a distinction between the one God (with a capital G) and the expansions or manifestations of aspects of that one God termed as 'gods' with a lower case g. Does that make sense?
Then the 'demi-gods' are just souls like you and me who live in 'higher' (heavenly) realms.

Oh, okay. I think that makes sense.

atanu

Premium Member

The idea is different from what commonly will occur to your mind when you consider God as a localised person. Brahman is not a localised person. Thus for a second, or for lesser or bigger time duration, it may so happen, that you may completely merge with that fullness -- and come out again as an individual.
--------------

sati is a composite word of sa and ti, the former being the Truth and the latter being the Untruth. The life is Truth (soul) and untruth (perishable body).

It is also called satya, which means Truth (Life force-existence) but contains sa (truth) and ti (untruth) and ya (truth). Spiritual existence before bodily existence, followed by bodily exisdence, again followed by unembodied spiritual existence. Thus satya is the whole existence.

In Vedanta, satya is the name of 'Life Force'. And satasya satyam (truth of the truth) is the Atman (the mind that abides within the life force). Atman is also called Purusha -- the Person. It is said that Life Force is one only. But Purusha created many souls -- giving rise to the appearance that the Life Force is in many pieces within many souls.

Last edited:

IsmailaGodHasHeard

The idea is different from what commonly will occur to your mind when you consider God as a localised person. Brahman is not a localised person. Thus for a second, or for lesser or bigger time duration, it may so happen, that you may completely merge with that fullness -- and come out again as an individual.
--------------

sati is a composite word of sa and ti, the former being the Truth and the latter being the Untruth. The life is Truth (soul) and untruth (perishable body).

It is also called satya, which means Truth (Life force-existence) but contains sa (truth) and ti (untruth) and ya (truth). Spiritual existence before bodily existence, followed by bodily exisdence, again followed by unembodied spiritual existence. Thus satya is the whole existence.

In Vedanta, satya is the name of 'Life Force'. And satasya satyam (truth of the truth) is the Atman (the mind that abides within the life force). Atman is also called Purusha -- the Person. It is said that Life Force is one only. But Purusha created many souls -- giving rise to the appearance that the Life Force is in many pieces within many souls.
Oh, okay. Thank you for telling me.

Wannabe Yogi

Has the story of goddess Sati any spiritual meaning?

Yes, it is a Hot bed of Spiritual meaning.

The story is full of Important spiritual meaning.

This story explains the following:

-Important pilgrimage sites for Worship of the Goddess.

-Why followers of Shiva are so Austere and full of love.

- Why pundits are dry and scholarly.

-Sets up future stories of the Divine mother.

This is just a few of things it teaches.

I agree with you Wannabe Yogi one of the main messages behind the story is that of love - the great Goddess was willing to sacrifice herself for her husbands honour ann then come back again in a new life to be with him.

According to legend the parts of Sati came to be major places of worship in India. There is some debate about the legend of Sati and the practise of widows climbing onto theire husband funeral pyres.

atanu

Premium Member
satI (सती) means the consort of sat (the True one).

The root meanings of sa and tI are given in Brihadaraynaka upanishad. By joining sa, tI, and ya is obtained the word satya, which is another name of existence or life force or shakti.

From this etymology सती means the Embodied Truth, worshipped as Goddess Durga, whose another name is satya brahman.

Last edited: