• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going All Natural

Draupadi

Is going all natural good? My question especially concerns medicine. Of course there are many pseudo naturalist doctors out there; but if we had access to the real ones, would their treatment be better than modern allopathy? What are your opinions about other fields?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The better solution is to educate yourself so you don't have to rely on doctors of either type.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"All natural" is a meaningless term, that, when you see on a label, you should ignore because there are not criteria that regulate its usage. This is probably because everything is natural.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Far as medicine goes, I don't think it is so much a matter of natural vs allopathy as it is of a general lack of clearly stated ethical philosophy.

Both herbalism and allopathy involve serious choices that should be at the core of any medical treatment and must therefore be clearly presented to the patients. But that does not seem to happen at all often, to my surprise.

dust1n

Zindīq
Is going all natural good? My question especially concerns medicine. Of course there are many pseudo naturalist doctors out there; but if we had access to the real ones, would their treatment be better than modern allopathy? What are your opinions about other fields?

I wouldn't want to speak to assuredly on every possible case, but for the most part, no, not at all.

Nymphs

I try to go as "all-natural" as possible because I'm highly sensitive to chemicals, processed foods, etc. But, please do you research and don't get taken in by quacks. I have a naturopath that I adore and has really worked well with me.

roger1440

I do stuff
Natural foods” and “all natural foods” are widely used terms in food labeling and marketing with a variety of definitions, most of which are vague. The term is assumed to imply foods that are minimally processed and do not contain manufactured ingredients, but the lack of standards in most jurisdictions means that the term assures nothing...."
Natural foods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Agha

Short answer: no.
Long answer: maybe.

Full disclosure: I work in the allopathic medical field as a Pharmacy Technician.

For legitimate medical conditions, most of the so-called "natural remedies" are in fact, completely useless. Quite the opposite actually; although they may have no harm in and of themselves, the belief that they will help you may be very harmful if it prevents legitimate medical treatment. For example, I have a medical condition known as hypothyroidism. What this means is that my thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones. This condition can cause many ill side-effects such as weight gain, general unhealthiness, and even up to and including death if left untreated for a long period of time. There is no "natural cure" for hypothyroidism; I use a drug known as Levothyroxine to control this condition. Likewise, many people that have other medical conditions require artificial medication and the natural alternatives are either insufficient or completely useless.

However, there are many medical conditions that can be prevented by going "all natural", as it were. For example, type II diabetes mellitus can be (mostly) prevented by diet and exercise. Same with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and others. However, once a person has such conditions, the best way to manage them is to see a traditional physician and, potentially, obtain medication(s) to control the symptoms.

The "all natural" method is mostly useful for preventative medicine and not very useful once somebody has a health condition that needs treating. That isn't to say that there aren't legitimate natural "remedies", but that they are in the minority.

I welcome being corrected if I am wrong.

Draupadi

What about other fields? I think if there were real natural foods available, processed and preserved without artificial chemicals, wouldn't they be a good option? I have came across several articles that artificial edible colours slowly contribute to diseases which we take for granted.

I don't deny that if an operation is needed we should do it. But I did come across a successful story of an early stage of cancer cured by natural medicines. The patient was my aunt. These cases are very rare thanks to all the shams out there but they do exist.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This is probably because everything is natural.

My late m-i-l, who was diabetic loved her fruit. I mean, loved as in a big bowl of it in one sitting. I'd say "but that's loaded with sugar". She'd counter with "but it's natural sugar". What, like that was supposed to somehow make her diabetes better? :rolleyes:

Draupadi

All natural doesn't mean all safe. Many people has this misconception. I have read that rhubarb leaves are fatal for consumption while its stem is fit for it. I am just asking that whether going all natural has less adverse effects?

Wirey

Fartist
All natural doesn't mean all safe. Many people has this misconception. I have read that rhubarb leaves are fatal for consumption while its stem is fit for it. I am just asking that whether going all natural has less adverse effects?

Hairy armpits and broccolli farts. Yeah, natural is a great decision. Lemmee know how that works out.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Hairy armpits and broccolli farts.

And the problem with those are...?

BTW, having a vegetarian taco salad with refried beans for dinner today, so if you notice a change in the atmosphere,... :sorry1:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think everyone should take of their clothes and ru. . . . . . . . . . oops! I thought you said Going Au Naturale. Never mind.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think everyone should take of their clothes and ru. . . . . . . . . . oops! I thought you said Going Au Naturale. Never mind.

But I wouldn't think that you would want to display your short-comings? :D