• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grímnismál in runic - help!

Garlande

I have a request for anyone that might be able to help, as I have not been able to find anything through search engines or encyclopedias - I'm trying to find a representation of "Grímnismál" in runes. I imagine that it must have been orginially written with the runic alphabet and I have found many websites that have english translations and copies of it written in modernized alphabets but can't seem to find it anywhere as it would have appeared in runes.
Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

gnostic

The Lost One
The Grímnismál as one of the poems in the collection known as the Poetic Edda, is preserved in the Codex Regius manuscript.

I have not seen the Codex Regius in original form, so I can't tell you if any of the poems used runic alphabets.

Worshipper

It was probably first written in the Latin alphabet adapted for Old Norse. The Codex Regius is written in this alphabet, but it probably wasn't the first written copy of the text. Nevertheless, lengthy writing wasn't very common among the Germanic people until the introduction of the Latin alphabet. Before that introduction, eddic poems were probably transmitted orally rather than being written at all.

To get the Grimnismal in Runic, you'd probably have to transliterate it yourself.