• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greens and the Liberal party oppose Labor's housing policy

danieldemol

Premium Member
'
  • In short: The Greens and the Coalition will team up in the Senate to obstruct a Labor housing bill that would cut taxes for developers who build rental complexes.
  • The Coalition is concerned the bill targets foreign investors, while the Greens say the rents would not be affordable.
  • What's next? The bill will be referred to a Senate committee, but the government will need to win support from either the Greens or the Coalition to pass it.'
Source: Greens, Liberals to team up to delay another Labor housing policy

I believe the Liberal party's call for Australian's to own their own homes is largely a dog whistle for doing nothing to help struggling Australians. Although I vote for labour I'm more sympathetic to the greens than to the liberals.

Government ownership of social housing may be a big investment that not enough Australians are on board with to guarantee funding, so I can see why Labour has gone with encouraging private investment, but with a more ideal society government ownership certainly has its positive points in my view.

Thoughts?

Madsaac

I'm no expert on this but I agree with you. And, it seems if the other two parties want to block the legislation then its sits middle of their beliefs, so its probably the 'fairest' approach.