• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grocery Time

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Regardless of our religious background, political affiliation, or sense[or lack] of style, we all gotta do this: grocery shop.

How do you do it?

Fresh from a market? A specific grocery store, or another retailer? Forage in the woods?

Do you use coupons, wait for sales, or just go?

Get it yourself, or order online?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
1 BJ's
2 Stop and Shop
3 ShopRite
4 Several different international markets
Distant rest
Trader Joes
Acme
Walmart for basics only and needed quickly
Farmers markets
*Battleview Orchards only during apple season and only apple products

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
1 BJ's
2 Stop and Shop
3 ShopRite
4 Several different international markets
Distant rest
Trader Joes
Acme
Walmart for basics only and needed quickly
Farmers markets
*Battleview Orchards only during apple season and only apple products
Do you have a particular rotation with all of them?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Sometimes Farmer's Markets
Sometimes my daughter brings me eggs, tomatoes, etc.
Half the time I shop at a locally owned grocery store to support it, but I typically only pick up a few items there
The other half the time (roughly) I shop at Kroger's
I use coupons when I have them but don't stress about them
I pick things up myself, never get them delivered
I do shop at a local peach farm during peach season and I usually buy peach preserves along with fresh peaches

I'd say about 1/3 from locally owned places and about 2/3 from Kroger's, which ironically is also locally owned

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Do you have a particular rotation with all of them?
BJ's is every 2 weeks after payday.
Stop and Shop and ShopRite are in different directions so it depends if I am going somewhere or need something else nearby.
International Markets are for when I want specialty food or fresh fish and meats.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I go 4 ways...

Household cleaning stuff, human cleaning stuff, dried foods, cat foods, etc from the supermarket.

The fresh stuff i get from an couple of organic growers at a local market, depends of course what's in season so it makes planning what to buy a bit of a guess.

At the right times of year, I'll collect fresh fruit, nuts and wild mushrooms from the local area.

Again at the right time of year neighbours will drop off a surprise bucket or two of what they've grown, squash, leafy veg, fruit, tomato's etc.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
BJ's is every 2 weeks after payday.
Stop and Shop and ShopRite are in different directions so it depends if I am going somewhere or need something else nearby.
International Markets are for when I want specialty food or fresh fish and meats.
What does BJ's sell? What's Stop and Shop and ShopRite sell?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
BJ's is like a Costco, bulk food but I like it better then Costco and Sam's club.

Stop and Shop and ShopRite are normal grocery stores. Stop and Shop being a little more expensive but closer.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I only have one choice in my little town, so to support the locally employed I hit the same chain weekly. Occasionally I'll drive to a little larger town, to a different chain, for a few items my local doesn't carry. I don't shop by coupon or sales. I shop by my home inventory, therefore by a specific list with "specials" picked up when available and needed. This usually being reduced meats. I try to stay well stocked (although not extremely so) in case anything should keep me from town for a week or two it's not a big deal. I always have Jello, soup, and powdered Propel in stock should I get sick, flour and lard should I need bread, as well as canned and powdered milk. Cat food always runs out before human food, but push come to shove there's fish and chicken in the freezer and canned tuna, salmon, and mackerel in the cabinet. "We're" set.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
We have a couple options... the most popular grocery stores are Hy Vee's here, but they've become unreasonably expensive, especially the one near us, which caters to the wealthier neighborhood.
I only have one choice in my little town, so to support the locally employed I hit the same chain weekly. Occasionally I'll drive to a little larger town, to a different chain, for a few items my local doesn't carry. I don't shop by coupon or sales. I shop by my home inventory, therefore by a specific list with "specials" picked up when available and needed. This usually being reduced meats. I try to stay well stocked (although not extremely so) in case anything should keep me from town for a week or two it's not a big deal. I always have Jello, soup, and powdered Propel in stock should I get sick, flour and lard should I need bread, as well as canned and powdered milk. Cat food always runs out before human food, but push come to shove there's fish and chicken in the freezer and canned tuna, salmon, and mackerel in the cabinet. "We're" set.
I wish I was better stocked... I'm still trying to decide how to do things with the differences in the way the family eats now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Regardless of our religious background, political affiliation, or sense[or lack] of style, we all gotta do this: grocery shop.

How do you do it?

Fresh from a market? A specific grocery store, or another retailer? Forage in the woods?

Do you use coupons, wait for sales, or just go?

Get it yourself, or order online?
Let Mrs Revolt do it.
Works very well.