• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haud Hogmanay, Happy Ne'erday! "For Auld Lang Syne..."

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's tae a happy Hogmanay, a richt guid Ne'erday and a braw 2021 tae yin anaw!

:clapping::clapping: Goodbye 2020 and a very Happy 2021 from bonnie Scotland!!!! :clapping::clapping:

new-years-eve-in-scotland-douglas-bruce-1-638.jpg

(In Scots they say 'haud Hogmanay' to celebrate the end of the old year and 'A Guid Ne'erday!' for the New Year that is now upon us. And when we raise a :wineglass::beercheers: the toast is "Slange!!!" (Slàinte in Gaelic, "Cheers!")

We have a new year tradition in northern England and Scotland called "First Footing", which supposedly brings luck and auspicious goodwill to a household for the rest of the year. The first-footer must be a tall dark-haired gentleman who is not already in the house when midnight strikes and he should bring with him shortbread or a dram of whisky.

Sadly this year, owing to the Tier-4 lockdown restrictions in the UK in view of the new strain of the virus, there is no mixing of households, no huge street party on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh with midnight fireworks and no 'biggest Auld Lang Syne singalong' in the world. (The canon, though, still blasted from Edinburgh Castle to an empty scene below.)

Covid loves nothing more than a mass gathering, so all that must be saved for December 31st 2021 (hopefully) after we've all been vaccinated.

In the absence of 'street-party revelling' in the bitter cold of a Scottish winter night, my "Auld Lange Syne" in honour of the bard himself Rabbie Burns, is going to be here on RF:

"Auld Lang Syne" (1789)

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?

Chorus:

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
And surely you'll buy your pint cup!
and surely I'll buy mine!