• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you changed your beliefs since coming to RF?

Have you had a major belief system overhaul since coming to RF?

• Total voters

sparc872

Once again, not really a debate topic but I can't figure out where it would go, as it is open to everyone but it is still a religious topic.

I am curious as to how many people have had a fairly large change in beliefs since coming here. Not just changing your mind on a certain issue, but having your whole belief system changing. For example, going from a belief in no God to a belief in God or Muslim to Buddhist. Also, can you let us know what the change has been to and from?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
No... but I have grown deeper in my faith since starting on this forum, and I have to think part of that is due to some of the great conversations I've had here, particularly with other UUs.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I can answer "Yes". When I first came, I had my beliefs pretty well 'sown up'. When I came here, I wavered, titled myself as a U.U (which seemed to be the most 'fitting label').

I then wavered to Christian/Wicca (with Eastern Asian overtones).

I honestly find it difficult to label myself; recently, in a longish conversation with a member here (who is a good friend), I learned that a lot of what I believe in 'in Sync' with Roman Catholicism...............

I still don't have a proper name for my faith (and I still don't know what it is), but I am happy with what I believe.

Smoke

Done here.
Yes, and much to my surprise, too. You're going to be sorry you asked, because I really want to tell about it. ;)

I was a Christian when I came here, and intended to stay one, though I'd been struggling with peace and justice issues for some time. My partner and I had agreed on five criteria for any church we might join:
  • Equal treatment of women. If they have clergy, women must be eligible for ordination. Women must be eligible to hold any administrative office in the church.
  • Equal treatment of homosexuals. Same as above, and if they celebrate marriages they must celebrate same-sex marriages on an equal basis with opposite-sex marriages.
  • A solid commitment to peace: a firm anti-war stance and a commitment to non-violent resistance to injustice.
  • No creedal requirements for membership. Our problem wasn't with the Creed or statements of belief as such, but with their being using to exclude people. We had already decided to substitute the Beatitudes for the Creed in our worship at home.
  • A firm "No" to Evangelical Christianity. This was a long-standing opinion of mine, and my partner felt less strongly about it, but we had agreed we'd go to church together or not at all, and I just can't identify with that kind of Christianity.
We hadn't found any Christian church that met those criteria. We were all ready to join the United Church of Christ when we learned that the UCC's Association of Western North Carolina had a policy against ordaining homosexuals. That was a deal breaker for us. We could accept, reluctantly, a denominational stance that those issues were up to the local congregation, even though we felt that a policy against ordaining homosexuals should be just as unacceptable as a policy against ordaining African-Americans. It was a compromise, but one we were willing to make. However, this was a case where an Association within the UCC overrode congregational polity to take a stand against homosexuals, and we decided that it just wasn't acceptable.

So we tried starting a church at home, and we had friends who wanted to participate, but it quickly became clear that I was expected to be the leader and driving force, and I wasn't prepared to become a clergyman, even an unofficial, unordained one. I felt that the house church was more trouble than it was worth.

At this point we were basically left with three options: no affiliation at all, or joining either the Unitarian-Universalists or the Quakers. We decided on the Quakers -- though to this day we haven't followed through by joining our local meeting. The main factors in that decision were (1) our attraction to the Quaker tradition on peace and justice grounds, (2) John's aversion to sacramental worship, (3) my strong attraction to the silent meeting style of worship. Coming from a liturgical type of church, I have expected to have a great deal of trouble giving up Communion, but I was surprised to find that it wasn't so.

This is about the point where I joined RF. I still identified as a Christian, and for liberal Quakers as for Unitarian-Universalists that's fine, as long as you don't try to push it on everybody else.

Then came the Beth Stroud case. Beth Stroud is a lesbian who was a United Methodist minister; she had been in the center of that denomination's struggle over the issue of homosexuality for some time, and had been defrocked in 2004 and restored to the ministry in 2005. On Halloween 2005, the Judicial Council of the United Methodist Church defrocked her again. On the same day, they ruled in favor of Edward Johnson, a minister who had been suspended by his bishop for refusing to allow a gay man to join the church.

It was the last straw.

I decided that I could no longer, in good conscience, identify as a Christian. I came to believe that belonging to a religion that has this many problems with equality for homosexuals was like belonging to a restricted country club, or even to the Klan. It was not enough to be personally in favor of equality, it was necessary to separate oneself from policies of inequality. Note that this decision had no effect on membership in any congregation; it was purely a matter of self-identification.

And then I found, to my surprise, that most of the remnants of my Christian faith came away as easily as removing an old t-shirt. In rapid succession, I found that I could suddenly appreciate much of Muslim spirituality, that Ebionism held a strong attraction for me (historical though it was), that I no longer found Trinitarianism a useful way of talking about God, and then that I no longer found theism a useful way of talking about anything. It had been many years since I had believed the scriptures were infallible; now I found that I no longer believed Jesus himself was infallible. I no longer believed that religion was any more important than stamp collecting, though I still found it infinitely more interesting.

It was like all this had been building up for years, and that identification as a Christian was the dam holding it all back. Once I took down that dam, the flood rolled in. I haven't experienced it as a loss at all, but as a liberation. Suddenly, things make sense. I don't expect that this is the last stop on my pilgrimage, or that I've "arrived" in any meaningful sense, but my apostasy from Christianity is -- right now -- the defining moment of my life. The captive has been set free. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It was here on RF that (thanks to Evearael) I discovered my true path: Girls On Trampolines!

Prior to that, I had thought the religions most suited to me were all about theology. I had not realized the one religion most suited to me of them all was about esthetics. :trampo::clap2:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
evearael said:
No change except to deepen my convictions and faith.

Excuse the off topic silliness; do you realise 'mono' is the spanish for monkey ?.........:D

robtex

Veteran Member
MidnightBlue said:
  • Equal treatment of women. If they have clergy, women must be eligible for ordination. Women must be eligible to hold any administrative office in the church.
  • Equal treatment of homosexuals. Same as above, and if they celebrate marriages they must celebrate same-sex marriages on an equal basis with opposite-sex marriages.
  • A solid commitment to peace: a firm anti-war stance and a commitment to non-violent resistance to injustice.
  • No creedal requirements for membership. Our problem wasn't with the Creed or statements of belief as such, but with their being using to exclude people. We had already decided to substitute the Beatitudes for the Creed in our worship at home.
  • A firm "No" to Evangelical Christianity. This was a long-standing opinion of mine, and my partner felt less strongly about it, but we had agreed we'd go to church together or not at all, and I just can't identify with that kind of Christianity.

bill I tried to frubal but apparenlty I recently fruballed you and you gotta take a raincheck from me on this one. I am reading your constraints and gotta tell you you are a UU waiting to happen. You should browse the UU forum and see your bullets already exist in an existing organization.

My change is documented here:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7440&highlight=resignation

kai

ragamuffin
no but i have gained a startling amount of insight into various religions here, but at this time i am still very much of the Mundane.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I joined the forum in the midst of a transition period. About four months prior my joining, God had established a relationship with me after a very traumatic experience. I would constantly worry about having God keep his relationship with me. Not knowing what to do, I quickly adopted the hardcore fundamentalist mentality as a type of "insurance" to keep God in my life. "Better safe than sorry" I would tell myself.

But those fundamentalist ideals would not last. Trying to lived a fundamentalist life went against pretty much every moral fiber I had. And as much as I struggled with the idea and prayed that God would give me the strength to believe in what is "right", I could not believe those ideals were good and right. No matter how hard I tried it that state of mind would not sit with me at all. As a result, I developed a hatred towards Christianity. It made me angry that things that were obviously so wrong were considered so "right". "This just can't be right" I would tell myself. So my quest for knowledge began.

I had so many questions that books and other Christians (in my vicinity) either could not answer or would just give me the standard default answer that was being fed by churches. One day while cruising a Legend of Zelda website, I came across this forum.

Interacting and learning here has made me realize (for the most part) what is true and what is bogus in regards to my faith. And the more I learn about Chistianity and what it means to be a Christian, the stronger my faith in God grows. I can now intelligently assess issues and look passed dogmas. I have also learned much about myself by coming here. I learned that I'm am not as bad a person as I thought and at the same time I realized I am not as good as I thought. Although my relationship with God has recently been reletivly quiet, I still strive to maintain one and try to be the best person I can be. The end result is a feeling of liberation.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Mister_T said:
I can now intelligently assess issues and look passed dogmas.
I feel that a lot of people turn atheist because things such as this become a stumbling block.

cardero

Citizen Mod
My beliefs haven’t really received the same attention, came into question or were contended as much as other belief systems so they never were successfully resolved either way but I have collected a great deal more beliefs since the two years I have signed on to RF.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i have kind of....

i came to the boards being Christian, with Pagan leanings..... now i seem to be Pagan with Christian leanings :cool:

Smoke

Done here.
Mike182 said:
i came to the boards being Christian, with Pagan leanings..... now i seem to be Pagan with Christian leanings :cool:
I can identify with that. When I was Orthodox, I had this exchange at least once a month:

Some Evangelical: Orthodoxy seems a lot like paganism to me.

Me: I know; that's one of the reasons I like it better than Protestantism.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I came to the boards with being a Christian, and I still am, I've just incorporated other 'philosophies' (as I'll call them) into my daily life.

I'm basically a Christian leading a Buddhist philsophical life. :D