• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Ever Met Anyone Who Has Attained Nirvana? Is it Even Possible?

Onkara

Welcome to the forum. Not in the Buddhist sense. I don't think anyone would admit to it.

Perhaps it doesn't exist and by saying it doesn't exist means you are instantly wrong?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Is Nirvana even the sort of thing about which one would accomplish anything by asking the question "does it exist?"?

Onkara

doppelgänger;2594048 said:
Is Nirvana even the sort of thing about which one would accomplish anything by asking the question "does it exist?"?
How would you answer mrthenewuser2 OP? :)

Onkara

Thank you for the welcome. I don't understand your last part. I'd be instantly wrong about what?

Sorry for the confusion (I'll come back to it later if necessary). Can you confirm please, do you mean specifically Nirvana as per Buddhism or Buddhist scriptures?

etherealascension

Secular Buddhist Humanist
I doubt that many people who have attained it would ever admit it, for a variety of reasons. But I met one person who was actually somewhat secretive about being a Buddhist, but a few of my friends and I (onlyy one of which wasn't a Buddhist himself) found out he was. There was always something different about him. I don't know if you'd call it Nirvana, but he had definitely reached some kind of different state of mind.

Onkara

doppelgänger;2594055 said:
Other than how I did?
Oh! I thought you were addressing my post above. :eek: The first part i.e. knowing someone who has attained it.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think what Buddhists call nirvana would probably kill 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% of people. Not that that matters to them, but it does cut down on encounters.

mrthenewuser2

doppelganger: 1. Would one accomplish anything by asking if it exists?

I am not sure if doing anything accomplishes anything. But, if you believe the answer is "no," then what do you achieve in learning about or discussing Nirvana at all? Why should Gotama have discussed Nirvana at all if you achieve nothing in learning of it? Knowing if it exists is a basis understanding it. I believe asking my question is worthwhile, about as worthwhile as picking up a rock or perhaps as worthwhile as saving a life.

Do you accomplish anything by taking a breath?

onkara: 2. Yes, perhaps I mean as in the Buddhist context. I am not quite sure. I mean an enlightened state of mind where one doesn't feel jealousy, hate, sadness, etc. To be free of any and all suffering. Isn't being tired suffering? Did Gotama not sleep?

Last edited:

Onkara

onkara: 2. Yes, perhaps I mean as in the Buddhist context. I am not quite sure. I mean an enlightened state of mind where one doesn't feel jealousy, hate, sadness, etc. To be free of any and all suffering. Isn't being tired suffering? Did Gotama not sleep?
I am not very familiar with Buddhism, I can propose a response based on Nirvana or Enlightenment on my understanding of Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism).

The difficulty is that enlightenment, in the non-dual sense, is the awareness that there are no people who are 'not enlightened' because that which appears to make the difference, between enlightened and non-enlightened is really a thought or a transient phenomena (illusionary). In other words it is a misconception which needs to be cleared that then gives way to the state you describe above.

mrthenewuser2

onkara: What you say seems to resonate well with me. I have read a lot about Hinduism and Buddhism very recently.

I am in over my head right now, I will continue learning, perhaps this thread can be let go, it is as if I am asking a question about mitochondria when I don't know what a cell is yet.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
doppelganger: 1. Would one accomplish anything by asking if it exists?

I am not sure if doing anything accomplishes anything. But, if you believe the answer is "no," then what do you achieve in learning about or discussing Nirvana at all?
You would only answer that question if you answer "no"? Would you not still have those questions about why Gotama discussed Nirvana and what talking about it accomplishes if if Nirvana is a thing that could be said to "exist" or not?

Do you accomplish anything by taking a breath?
Excellent question. Do you have to think about taking a breath or discuss it, or contemplate its "existence" for it to accomplish its purpose?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Well, there is no such thing as nirvana, so no one can attain it.

Though speaking in terms of convention logic, one who realizes enlightenment does not "go into nirvana" until they leave their body.

But no one realizes enlightenment, so the point is moot I suppose. (hehe "moot" )

mrthenewuser2

Well, there is no such thing as nirvana, so no one can attain it.

Though speaking in terms of convention logic, one who realizes enlightenment does not "go into nirvana" until they leave their body.

But no one realizes enlightenment, so the point is moot I suppose. (hehe "moot" )
It's quite strange you would quote "go into nirvana" considering I, nor anyone else on this thread, used those words.

And you believe no one realizes enlightenment; and that it doesn't exist? Not even Gotama did? I'm not sure if you're being serious.

mrthenewuser2

doppelgänger;2594147 said:
Excellent question. Do you have to think about taking a breath or discuss it, or contemplate its "existence" for it to accomplish its purpose?
No, but we do know what breathing accomplishes. Humans are curious, and we learned. Similarly, I am curious to know of the existence of Nirvana. The existence of breathing (or at least an illusion of it) is quite obvious. Nirvana, not so.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
It's quite strange you would quote "go into nirvana" considering I, nor anyone else on this thread, used those words.

And you believe no one realizes enlightenment; and that it doesn't exist? Not even Gotama did? I'm not sure if you're being serious.

I just quoted it because I felt like it. There have been descriptions of "entering nirvana" and ultimately these things are only terms for something beyond logical understanding. So I quote such terms in an attempt to point out that they are nothing more than that.

Also, along the lines of the existence of breathing; there is no phenomena with the nature of breathing.
Likewise, there is no phenomena with the nature of samsara, and no phenomena with the nature of nirvana.

If you dont understand what im saying, I recommend the Prajnaparamita sutras, especially the Heart sutra and Diamond cutter sutra.

Anyway, to answer your first question clearly; in terms of conventional logic, when one realizes enlightenment but are still in their body, they are not in the state of nirvana yet, though are fully capable of entering that state.
From a Buddhist perspective, it is highly likely that each of us has met someone who has realized enlightenment because the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas send out emanations of themselves to guide sentient beings to enlightenment. With that idea, anyone we know or meet could be a Buddha and we wouldn't know it.