• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heathenry doesn't have the market cornered on community and frith

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I realize that using the F-word (Facebook) and R-word (reddit) puts an end to the discussion before it even gets started. :p

I see a lot of crowing about the "Heathen worldview", i.e. community, innangard, frith within one's innangard, tribalism, etc. I say crowing because the Heathens I see this from act as if Heathenry invented this and has the market cornered on it. They seem to think that it makes them special and that newcomers to Heathenry know nothing about it.

But I submit that these are concepts that have long been in place among Italians, Greek, Russians, Hispanics and a host of other ethnic peoples. Those of us who are descended from European immigrants had ancestors who lived in small villages where everyone was either related to, or married to, or cooperated with everyone else.

Think of the movie The Godfather. What was portrayed about Sicilian-Americans and family is absolutely frighteningly accurate. Carlo, Connie's husband, though he was accepted into the family by marriage, was never part of the innangard, nor would he ever be. When Michael Corleone avenged the shooting of the Don, he was carrying out not only vengeance and retribution, but restoring honor to the family... an injury was made to the patriarch (and as importantly, the entire family) that could not go unanswered. Fiction? No... vendetta (a Sicilian language word, btw ;)) is centuries old, and there are rules.

It seems that where this is lost is among newcomers to Heathenry who are several generations removed from immigrant families. Even then I could be wrong... these concepts seem to be innate to human nature. My own family, Americans of Italian and Sicilian descent, while we have not carried out any vendette, put family above all else. We've been hospitable to "outsiders", but they have never become more than family friends or acquaintances. But I wonder if those "experienced" Heathens who harp on these ideas are the very ones who were unfamiliar with this in their own lives. A case of "the lady doth protest too much, methinks". If, and I say if that's the case (I could be wrong), it's a shame because it is making something that comes naturally so much more complicated and mysterious than it really is.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Because the US has an individual-focused overculture (glory to the Lone Mysterious Cowboy), frith is probably the first time young US Heathens hear about such behavior in a codified way.

Thing is, from what I've seen, I think the US might be the only major culture that doesn't have something like this in its wider overculture. I suspect that frith would be familiar, and probably common sense, to pretty much everywhere else. Heck, it was illustrated rather beautifully in Lilo and Stitch!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Because the US has an individual-focused overculture (glory to the Lone Mysterious Cowboy), frith is probably the first time young US Heathens hear about such behavior in a codified way.

Thing is, from what I've seen, I think the US might be the only major culture that doesn't have something like this in its wider overculture. I suspect that frith would be familiar, and probably common sense, to pretty much everywhere else. Heck, it was illustrated rather beautifully in Lilo and Stitch!
I am from outside this DIR, so please accept this observation: As I have grown older and met more and and more people from other backgrounds (nations, regions, nationalities, etc.), I have found this to be very much the case--while many who have come to America recently appreciate the individualism and freedom, but they themselves still see the world through family and clan, for example. And living by the feud is not unheard of among people from Appalachia, for example. From a more business/management/academic direction, the work of Geert Hofstede on national culture helps to illustrate how different the US is on many different aspects of culture, including individualism and acceptance of inequality, for example. In researching my family history, I have found evidence of frith and the like, but it is not recognized by anyone in the current generations in my family, as far as I can tell.