• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

heaven or hell??

varioustbags

If I were a virtuous and fantastic person and did not believe in god, I would therefore be go to heaven (if it existed) for being selfless and caring. I would also go ot hell for not believing in God.

If I did believe in god, and I was a virtuous and fantastic person, I would not go to heaven because I am acting in my own self interest of getting into heaven and being rewarded by god. I would therefore go to hell for this selfish behaviour. I would also go to heaven for surrendering and believing in God.

Anyone else see a pradox? I would like to ask if I have not understood situation porperly. And please no one tell me that true believers really DO just want to help so much because the scripture of all 3 abrahamic religions say otherwise, not to mention my lifetime experience and a wealth of statistics. Also christian belief in jesus' sacrifice is not applicable here because to receive the blessing you must repent and spend your life trying to be good, thus putting you un the same situation...

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I understand your confliction there. It is definately a problem for people who actually analyze the situation instead of turning a blind eye to something, whether that something being, other christians, conflicting scriptures, continued hypocritical actions, eh... thoughts.

I personally do not believe in strictly heaven or hell. I do believe in heavenly like places, and hellish like places, but I don't believe you are sent to any particular place and/or forced to stay in any particular place after death. I just believe in the basic theory of karma.

As far as why heaven and hell are set up this way, fear/control, and ego. Humanity has an insatiable ego which gives a strong desire to condem and elevate oneself. Hubris is a good fancy word for it. The gods of old religions became the demons of newer religions. What better way to incite fear, control, condem and elevate your beliefs, all in one dammed fell swoop?! Everything that doesn't go along with the agenda all of a sudden will send you to hell.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If I were a virtuous and fantastic person and did not believe in god, I would therefore be go to heaven (if it existed) for being selfless and caring. I would also go ot hell for not believing in God.
You'd go to heaven either way.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Latter Day Saint's threology breaks the mold. It is the exception. :D
True, but the mold was damaged a long time ago.

Since I know varioustbags' next question is going to be, "So don't you believe in hell?" The answer is, "Yes, I do, but you have to work pretty hard to get there."