• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello Muslims i need guidance

i have recently converted to islam and need more information on my religion. i dont have a quran, i cant speak arabic, i have trouble avoiding pork, i dont know any muslims and i dont know many prayers. but when i do say prayers i face mecca. the only prayers i no are allahu akbar. ash hadu anna muhammed ar rasool allah and la ilaaha ill allah. any tips or ideas? thanks

elmarna

For starts-if you can purchase "-the message of the Quran" it benefits all of us brought up outside the faith & is clearly translated with no grey areas. It ran me 50 US dollars. My Mosque recommends "the noble quran" insisting it is the unchanged version.

elmarna

1 persons opinion is not the view of the whole.
I welcome you brother !
Let the warmth & kindness find you to comfort your journey!

Cordoba

i have recently converted to islam and need more information on my religion. i dont have a quran, i cant speak arabic, i have trouble avoiding pork, i dont know any muslims and i dont know many prayers. but when i do say prayers i face mecca. the only prayers i no are allahu akbar. ash hadu anna muhammed ar rasool allah and la ilaaha ill allah. any tips or ideas? thanks

Assalamo Alaikom Martin

Congratulations for your Shahada and welcome to Islam

1) You can find an on-line translation of the meanings of the Qur'an at his URL:

IslamBasics

2) To learn prayers, please check this video:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Teach Me to Pray[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

A 15 minute video from the Deen Show which explains how to make ablution and how to pray:
[/FONT]
The Deen Show ~ It's a way of life.

3) If you are in Dublin, why not visit the Islamic Center there? I'm sure you will meet many Muslims and will find useful info and contacts

Islamireland.ie | Home

The learning curve is very steep in he firs months, but the best approach is to ake it one day at a time

Meanwhile, please feel free to post any questions you have

Wishing you all the best

Tarek

khanyy

Hi Martin,

Don't know where you are situated so i cant find a specific place for you to go unfortunately.

The Quran i use is from Al-islam - quran.al-islam.org, has 3 translations in English and a commentary section as well.

Finding about islam is easy! ask any of us (muslims) and well be happy to help Insha- Allah, wikipedia is spot on with the basics if you want to start there.

Regarding pork i would ween your self off it DONT stop to start up later, take as long as you have to (the more Muslim friends you make the easier it should get.)

Making friends depends on where you are situated mosques or centres are the best place to start, start making Muslim friends on Facebook or sumthing! loads of groups...

finally regarding prayers i would practice them in english just so you say something in prayer Allah understands all languages anyway:) then if you get a quran (most have a tutorial section on the alphabet anyway in the back - left side) the basic prayer is the first chapter...

[Pickthal 1:1] In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
[Pickthal 1:2] Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,
[Pickthal 1:3] The Beneficent, the Merciful.
[Pickthal 1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment,
[Pickthal 1:5] Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help.
[Pickthal 1:6] Show us the straight path,
[Pickthal 1:7] The path of those whom Thou hast favoured; Not the (path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray.

...bit different in Arabic!

Congrats and wish u the best.

Salaam.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member

Congratulation for being guided to Islam.
It's important not to undermine what you have achieved by being guided to Islam.
Yes you may face some difficulties in coping with your new life. But remember that the 1000 mile journey start with a step. Nowadays you won't face a problem in finding resources. As Khanyy pointed out, (al-islam.org) is a very rich site for finding the different types of Islamic resources. I emphasize the following:

1. You need to have a full program that includes times to read, to contemplate, to pray… etc.

2. you need to read in the different Islamic knowledge areas: the history, creed, spiritual, Quran, Hadith…etc.

3. In areas where Muslim scholars have different opinions, you need to try your best to understand the arguments of the different schools of thoughts without trying to rash into conclusions about which opinion is the correct one.

4. All Muslims need to strive to unite the Muslim Ummah. Every individual needs to do his/her bit in this regard.

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask.
Best wishes