• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello to all..

Felidae

Just joined this forums, I'm a 25 year old female living in the Netherlands, student medical biology, living with mom, brother, 2 cats and 2 dogs right now. Love my dogs, but am more of a cat person. I love reading (challenging books, sometimes a bit of mind candy too). I am tattooed and pierced, though not extremely.

Don't quite know why I joined these forums, except for being intrigued by religion for quite some time now. The religions themselves, but also the people who are religious. What makes them tick, why do they believe what they believe. I myself am atheist, or at least agnostic, sometimes I don't quite know. I am very rational, yet a dreamer. I don't need a god in my life, even though the last few years have been tough on me, I've never been drawn to religion.

I've been raised, sort of, roman catholic. Parents didn't really believe though.
Went to such a junior school, got baptized and did my first communion, when it was time for confirmation, I chose not to, because it wasn't for me. Religion for me, at that time, felt like fairytales did. A nice idea, but not real, and it's been like that ever since.

I love the stories of religions, like I love ancient myths and fables. I'd love to hear more about why and how some of you believe what they believe, so I think I am in the right place. ;)
I try to be respectful, consider myself a nice person, so am a little hesitant in joining this forums and the discussions because to me, it seems discussions about religion can invoke a lot of hate and ugly discussions, so I hope to avoid those here. ;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Just joined this forums, I'm a 25 year old female living in the Netherlands, student medical biology, living with mom, brother, 2 cats and 2 dogs right now. Love my dogs, but am more of a cat person. I love reading (challenging books, sometimes a bit of mind candy too). I am tattooed and pierced, though not extremely.

Don't quite know why I joined these forums, except for being intrigued by religion for quite some time now. The religions themselves, but also the people who are religious. What makes them tick, why do they believe what they believe. I myself am atheist, or at least agnostic, sometimes I don't quite know. I am very rational, yet a dreamer. I don't need a god in my life, even though the last few years have been tough on me, I've never been drawn to religion.

I've been raised, sort of, roman catholic. Parents didn't really believe though.
Went to such a junior school, got baptized and did my first communion, when it was time for confirmation, I chose not to, because it wasn't for me. Religion for me, at that time, felt like fairytales did. A nice idea, but not real, and it's been like that ever since.

I love the stories of religions, like I love ancient myths and fables. I'd love to hear more about why and how some of you believe what they believe, so I think I am in the right place. ;)
I try to be respectful, consider myself a nice person, so am a little hesitant in joining this forums and the discussions because to me, it seems discussions about religion can invoke a lot of hate and ugly discussions, so I hope to avoid those here. ;)
What a great intro! I am both a cat and a dog person, and I love your avatar! Unlike you, I am both spiritual and religious, but I also try to avoid hateful and ugly discussions. You'll find some of those discussions here, but also a lot of good people just looking for an interesting exchange of ideas. So anyway... welcome. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Felidae

Welcome, good intro!

Thank you! I hoped it would be, I never like forum intros that just state "I'm ... and I just joined these forums" .. there's no proper info in there. ;)

Must say, these forums are a bit (ehh understatement) impressive, as in they're huge, and for me to come up with any kind of intelligent answer to any of these topics might take a while. I'm not one for lighthearted answers. ;)

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Thank you! I hoped it would be, I never like forum intros that just state "I'm ... and I just joined these forums" .. there's no proper info in there. ;)

Must say, these forums are a bit (ehh understatement) impressive, as in they're huge, and for me to come up with any kind of intelligent answer to any of these topics might take a while. I'm not one for lighthearted answers. ;)

Judging from your intro, I'd say you're going to do just fine.

Felidae

What a great intro! I am both a cat and a dog person, and I love your avatar! Unlike you, I am both spiritual and religious, but I also try to avoid hateful and ugly discussions. You'll find some of those discussions here, but also a lot of good people just looking for an interesting exchange of ideas. So anyway... welcome. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Thanks to you too.. well I never knew I was more of a cat person, till we got a cat last year, until then it was always just seeing cats at friends, neighbours, family. I love my dogs, adore them, but I can never see myself getting dogs when I've got my own place. Give me a regular european shorthair or some pretty breed cats, like Somali, Maine Coon, Bengal, Ragdoll (though they're a bit too tame for me), Ocicat, Siberian.. well you get the point I looooove cats. Dogs, we've got a Bouvier des Flandres (100-ish pounds) and a Yorkhire terrier (10 pounds). Due to limited funds since my dad's died, we've got two regular kittycats, but I love them to death. :) My babies.

Guess you could call me spiritual, but absolutely not religious. At least when it comes to my own definitions. I don't like any kind of religion that's organized, I myself can't see how anyone could follow all that.. how can you agree with all that one religion specifies? And if you don't agree with all, how do you still call yourself part of that religion?
These are just some random thoughts I have about religion, and since this is as much my thread as any I think I can say them here. ;)
Humanity is a fluke. Hell, any form of life is a fluke. Molecule A combined with molecule B to form precursor of life, and tadaa. First single celled organisms.

No divine intervention, though even if I believe life a fluke, maybe a higher organism created that fluke, or took watch over what happened after, but to call that organism god is beyond me.

So, again, pff. I don't believe in god, but to say I don't believe in anything other, I don't know. I think I believe in more than I myself know these days, and that's part of the reason I joined here, to compare, to figure out, to see what other people believe and well, think. I do love thinking. ;)

AmbiguousGuy

Hi, Filidea, and welcome to the forum.

I have a question. I'm curious why your English is so good. You've lived among English-speakers, yes?

Felidae

Ahh thank you all.. and AmbiguousGuy, nope, I have lived my life here in the Netherlands. However.. I was always good in english, in highschool I was top of my class. Add lots of english tv, books etc to that, plus an education mostly in english (Masters Medical Biology, all books, classes and tests are in english), and a (ex-boy)friend in England to that (I went there a couple times a year, for two years), plus quite a few international friends, and then.. you know why my english is good. :) Not perfect, but good enough to read any book that's originally written in english in that very same language. These days it's strange and awkward for me to read anything in dutch.

Just wish I was as good in other languages. ;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ahh thank you all.. and AmbiguousGuy, nope, I have lived my life here in the Netherlands. However.. I was always good in english, in highschool I was top of my class. Add lots of english tv, books etc to that, plus an education mostly in english (Masters Medical Biology, all books, classes and tests are in english), and a (ex-boy)friend in England to that (I went there a couple times a year, for two years), plus quite a few international friends, and then.. you know why my english is good. :) Not perfect, but good enough to read any book that's originally written in english in that very same language. These days it's strange and awkward for me to read anything in dutch.

Just wish I was as good in other languages. ;)
Your English isn't just good. It's excellent. I'm truly envious.

Felidae

Thank you.. :) But I disagree. Excellent would mean I didn't have to look up words when reading classics like Twain, Joseph Conrad, William Thackeray, Dickens, Wells, etc, etc. Which I do have to. I love my classics. :)

AmbiguousGuy

Thank you.. :) But I disagree. Excellent would mean I didn't have to look up words when reading classics like Twain, Joseph Conrad, William Thackeray, Dickens, Wells, etc, etc. Which I do have to. I love my classics. :)

Your written English seems as good as any educated American's.

I sometimes have to look up words myself when reading classics.

Wayofthespirit

I am a Monotheistic Deist
Hello Felidae,
I'd rather chat with a gentle non assertive atheist that with a strident insular Christian.
As you say this forum is gigantic.....I don't get further than chatting with newcomers in this particular Board, and hope to strike up a few friendships in consequence (without regard to anyone's personal religious 'take'.
Be happy young 'cloggy'....Mike

Last edited: