• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey You!

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Hi, I'm trying to get a general headcount of how many of us there actually are. If you're gnostic, just post here saying "i'm here" :p

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Not sure what i am anymore Ash, i still believe in many Gnostic concepts, but not really like the ancients did - it seems a bit cheeky to call myself Gnostic. But i still read the texts.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
RevOxley_501 said:
<leaning towards it kinda sorta but not all the way
Check out the writings of Meister Eckhart Rev, i see a lot of Gnostic thought in there, but without the accompanying mythology.

Random

I have a soft spot in my heart for Gnostisicm, always will I guess. There is an excellent site called Metahistory which adopts Gnosticism in a very modern and offeres a view of it consistent with rational mysticism. Might be interesting for anyone interested...

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Godlike said:
I have a soft spot in my heart for Gnostisicm, always will I guess. There is an excellent site called Metahistory which adopts Gnosticism in a very modern and offeres a view of it consistent with rational mysticism. Might be interesting for anyone interested...
thank you :)

Mavrikmind

If you don't mind, would you give me your definition of what a Gnostic would be :)
I looked it up on Wikki but for some reason it still isn't too clear for me.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Mavrikmind said:
I looked it up on Wikki but for some reason it still isn't too clear for me.

That's about as close as you'll get mate ;) You'd be better off looking up the definition of "gnosis" in the dictionary, and decide if that's what you believe in.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Mavrikmind said:
Ok I did that, still not clear about it so I'll say no for now :)
A Gnostic is someone who seeks or believes they have found gnosis (translates knowledge, but is closer to enlightenment or awakening in meaning) of God.

The golden age of Gnosticism was in the first few centuries after Christ, most Gnostics are and were Christian based, a second large wave of Gnostic thought appeared in medieval times, but was wiped out by the Inquisition (Vatican, not Spanish).
That's not to say all Gnostics were/are Christian, there were Jewish, Islamic and pagan Gnostics. Gnostic thought also found its way into religions such Manichaenism and Mandaism.

To sum up Gnostic belief very briefly, it is that humanity has been separated from God (there are various myths to explain how) and that those who seek and find Gnosis will reunite their souls with God, usually after death.

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
To be honest Ash, I'm not sure anymore, though I never really have been sure anyways. Do I believe that we can reach enlightenment, yes. I also think that many texts are possible paths towards that, but that's about as far as it goes for me. I think I also lean more towards Jung's theories of our split psyches (conscious and subconscious) and the reuniting of them is, for lack of a better term, gnosis. :shrug:

XAAX

Buttons* said:
Hi, I'm trying to get a general headcount of how many of us there actually are. If you're gnostic, just post here saying "i'm here" :p

Hey buttons, when you say gnostic, to me that is a very broad term...what is your definition?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
PREACH THE NETT said:
Hey buttons, when you say gnostic, to me that is a very broad term...what is your definition?
Gnostic = mystic who understands gnostic texts and who reaches for higher enlightenment.....

could be from any religion, i think of "gnostic" as a synonym for "mystic" ... i'm not a die hard "THE GNOSTIC TEXTS ARE ALL THAT IS TRUTH!" kind of gal ;)

XAAX

Buttons* said:
Gnostic = mystic who understands gnostic texts and who reaches for higher enlightenment.....

could be from any religion, i think of "gnostic" as a synonym for "mystic" ... i'm not a die hard "THE GNOSTIC TEXTS ARE ALL THAT IS TRUTH!" kind of gal ;)

Hey buttons, I have read a number of books and things that could be considered Gnostic texts... I'm just not sure the title fits me. I do belief fully in the search for higher enlightenment...

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Buttons* said:

Oh, in that case, you count me in. :)