• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey

twofortea

Hi, I'm TFT.
I'm English, I like reading about the historical origins and the evolution of religion(s) but I'm an atheist (even after countless attempts at varying conversions) and always have been. I would recommend the book 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins to anyone. It poses some interesting questions. I think it'd be a good point of discussion if it hasn't been already.

Phil Lawton

Hey.

I'm halfway the Dawkins book you refer to - when I can get away from thinking what a pompous prat he is, it is a very good read.

twofortea

Ha! It's a standard writing style for him. It is a very good book though so I guess he deserves some of the pompous-prat-ness.

rasor

Hi, I'm TFT.
I'm English, I like reading about the historical origins and the evolution of religion(s) but I'm an atheist (even after countless attempts at varying conversions) and always have been. I would recommend the book 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins to anyone. It poses some interesting questions. I think it'd be a good point of discussion if it hasn't been already.

Read it, agreed with it 100%

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
If you've enjoyed Dawkins's book but were a little put off by the pompous prat-ness, I'd recommend Daniel Dennett's Breaking the Spell: Religion as A Natural Phenomenon. It's broader in scope and covers some of the same territory as Dawkins, but it is more respectful of the reality that religious beliefs represent to believers and a little less missionary and more quizzical about the modes and nature of religious belief and faith.

Phil Lawton

doppelgänger;896687 said:
If you've enjoyed Dawkins's book but were a little put off by the pompous prat-ness, I'd recommend Daniel Dennett's Breaking the Spell: Religion as A Natural Phenomenon. It's broader in scope and covers some of the same territory as Dawkins, but it is more respectful of the reality that religious beliefs represent to believers and a little less missionary and more quizzical about the modes and nature of religious belief and faith.

Cheers, DG.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi TFT,

Welcome to Religious Forums!

I hope you enjoy your stay with us, and if there is anything you need to know, Just ask........:)

kadzbiz

Welcome and enjoy your stay. Regarding Dawkins, I don't mind some of the things he points out, but I hate the way he goes about it. The guys looks like he's a powder keg ready to explode any minute. I can't stand his manner.

rasor

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
If the premis is ones own.Its upto him/her to produce the evidence not for others to produce evidence to prove the premis wrong.
In other words if you come up with a theory,its upto you to prove it,not others to disprove it.