• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism Today

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hinduism Today is a quarterly magazine that was established many years ago to advance Hindu Solidarity. (and to combat ethnocentricity that lies within Hinduism itself) Many Hindus, (and yes, here on this forum) feel that their version of Sanatana Dharma is the most important one, or sometimes the only one. With newcomers, this does pose a challenge, as they can erringly think that one person's response is that of the entirety of Hinduism, which is blatantly false.

I'll give an example of this ... the other night I was speaking to a person at the temple I attend regularly, and mentioned that our city has 12 temples. She was quite shocked, and said, "What? I thought there were only two." She's lived in this city some 20 years, and still didn't see the diversity just within this city, let alone the entire planet. It's not that surprising as in the past, the various sects were isolated geographically. But I also don't think it's accurate, or that healthy for some sort of brotherhood. On this very forum, we have a section called 'criticism of other sects'. Personally, I'd like to see another section titled 'admiration of other sects'.

Over some 40 years, Hinduism Today has published 100s of articles, about all things Hindu, and is the only Hindu publication of it's kind, as it doesn't restrict itself to articles about one sect like many other Hindu publications do.

So here's the main link to it, the latest issue just came out, and the entire body of work, many years of journalism, is free to browse. Hinduism Today Hopefully somebody will benefit from this.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism Today is a quarterly magazine that was established many years ago to advance Hindu Solidarity. (and to combat ethnocentricity that lies within Hinduism itself) Many Hindus, (and yes, here on this forum) feel that their version of Sanatana Dharma is the most important one, or sometimes the only one. With newcomers, this does pose a challenge, as they can erringly think that one person's response is that of the entirety of Hinduism, which is blatantly false.

I'll give an example of this ... the other night I was speaking to a person at the temple I attend regularly, and mentioned that our city has 12 temples. She was quite shocked, and said, "What? I thought there were only two." She's lived in this city some 20 years, and still didn't see the diversity just within this city, let alone the entire planet. It's not that surprising as in the past, the various sects were isolated geographically. But I also don't think it's accurate, or that healthy for some sort of brotherhood. On this very forum, we have a section called 'criticism of other sects'. Personally, I'd like to see another section titled 'admiration of other sects'.

Over some 40 years, Hinduism Today has published 100s of articles, about all things Hindu, and is the only Hindu publication of it's kind, as it doesn't restrict itself to articles about one sect like many other Hindu publications do.

So here's the main link to it, the latest issue just came out, and the entire body of work, many years of journalism, is free to browse. Hinduism Today Hopefully somebody will benefit from this.
I love this publication. Probably the best teaching source I had coming in.