• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hmm...another try maybe?

sparc872

Ok, the proselytize me thread was kind of killed off, which is understandable. So I am going to make a new thread with different rules :)

Can you please introduce yourself and tell everyone what you believe and why you believe it? I think this will be beneficial in understanding where everyone is coming from in their beliefs and it will help everyone to understand how to better anaylyze what it is they believe and the reasons for that belief.

Sorry guys, no prize this time...there just isn't the proselytizing anymore :sorry1:

Thanks everyone and happy posting!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm Jenna, and I follow Taoism because it makes sense. Be nice to people. Live simply. Be humble. Don't fight what is natural. All these things just make sense and click with me. I don't have any more reason for believing in those things than I have a reason for believing the moon is round.

What about you? :) What do you believe?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Jewscout here!

practitioner of the Jewish faith...tho not as of yet a jew...working on that...

why i believe what i believe? Because Judaism is a beautiful religion, with a long history, it's Torah speaks to me and the vast wealth of knowledge from centuries of rabbinical debates appeals to my intellect.

it just connects with me:angel2:

Cerrax

That One Guy
I believe in Madriism. The name comes from the Latin word for mother "madri". It is the belief in Gaia, the Mother Spirit, from whom all life is born; and Feith, the Father Spirit, and master of fate. As we go through life, Feith challenges us and we must use the gifts granted to us from Gaia to vercome Feith challenges. If we succeed, then when we die, our souls are reunited with Gaia. I believe that I have been contacted by Gaia, and I can feel her presence everywhere I go. I believe very strongly that in every living things is a soul, a soul that spawned from our Mother. And since all souls come from the same force, we are all equal and we should treat each otehr with that respect of equalibrium.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I am Becky. I am a Christian and I follow the denomination of the LDS Church.

Why? It makes the most sense to me. Families being together forever, everyone being saved--even after death. Those are just a few things that make me believe.

I've had my own personally spiritual experiences, and with those, I know that it is true. It doesn't make sense any other way. Although, I do find truth in 99.9% of all faiths, and I incorporate those into my faith (as long as I honor Jesus Christ and the Father)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I'm Amy, I'm a Unitarian Universalist. I'm a UU because it values the things I value: freedom of belief, religious freedom and tolerance, social justice, compassion, peace - just to name a few.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
My name is Meggie, aka Feathers. :)

I believe that Paganism is the path that makes the most sense to me, and because it helps me to celebrate who I am. I believe in many forms of diety, though mine tend to take the form of goddesses. As a part of being a panetheist (as well as a polytheist), I believe that the nature of diety is ever-changing, both effected and changed by events.

While I am not certain of it, I tend to veer on the side of there being a possibility of reincarnation, simply because of several experiences I've had. I think that magic exists- whether it's simply the positive thinking that goes with it or some natural force at work doesn't really matter to me. I believe that there are several planes of reality, and that these can be visited (again, through personal experience) and that wisdom can be learned from them. While I consiously believe that there is no such thing as evil, sometimes my brain gets away from me and I forget this when I hear of horrors and hatred.

I believe that kindness is the greatest strength

lunamoth

Will to love
I'm Laurie, aka lunamoth or luna. I'm an Episcopalian. I'm an Episcopalian because it is the religion I grew up with and it is good. I'm not too uptight about different denominations of Christianity. I think Christianity is far and away the most astounding religion out there primarily because it is the only religion that teaches grace and forgiveness.

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm Aqualung (don't let my shiny new username fool you) and I practice the Mormon faith because it makes sense. It's the only Christian religion that has biblical answers for every faith-based question you could think of. I'm Christian in the first place because I know God exists, and I know he is the God of the bible.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
My name is Josh and I'm an alcoh-- Oh, wait. Let me try that again.

I'm Josh and I'm a Kemetic Traditionalist. That is to say, I follow the reconstructed religion of Ancient Egypt. I am a "hard" polytheist (unlike some of my fellow Kemetics who are monolators.) I primarily worship the Netjer (God) known as Set, Suti, Seth, Sutekh, Setesh and a number of other names. I also have a less intense but still important connection to the Netjer called Djehuty, Tehuti, Thoth, etc. Also, of course, I revere the pantheon as a whole.

I have the religious inclinations I do mostly because my rather intense encounters with Set led me to investigate the religion surroundinging Him and the greater pantheon of which He is a part. After doing so, I found the ideas inherent in the religion really seemed to fit into place for me. Those about the nature of Creation (with a capital C!) and the natural way of things encapulated within the concepts of Zep Tepi and Ma'at especially appealed to me. So, I decided I'd found somewhere I could call "home", as far as religion went.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I am NetDoc: Peace Warrior.

I have come that we might have peace and have it in spite of Shrub.

I am a peace warrior because as a Christian that's what I am commanded to be:

Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
NIV

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Sojourner here -- David --

I'm a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). We actively seek social justice, peace, equality, tolerance, and the unity of all Christians. I'm here because God has called me to be here.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm The Truth, i know i know, not that i believe that i'm really the truth or i have it but because i'm seeking for the truth whereever it is.

I'm a muslim and i guess i'm the first muslim who respond to this thread.

Even though my parents are muslims but i refused to believe in everything about islam until i examined it.

I believe that islam is the way because through the history i didn't find any faith that can be perfect (faith not people who follow this faith) at all times except islam because some faiths are suitable for these days and some only were useful in the past but islam was great and suitable in the past, now and God willing forever.

I love islam because it's simple and you don't have to think alot about God and who he is and how he looks like and why, what, how questions because all the answers are in the Quran and it's perfect and there is no contradictions in it nor confusion.

My first mission is peace with all human beings because the root of the word islam is "salam" which means peace.

Peace ... :)

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Hi, I'm Brian. I call myself an Appellative Monistic Gnostic. (welcome to look up the terms) I believe a lot of things, but ultimately I believe nothing truly exists outside of "itself". I believe everything has its own path back to GOD. I believe in GOD (and do not discount that there is or isn't a God or Gods). In the end I see it as completely irrelavent..... it matters only to your way back to GOD.

(ha ha ha- hope that makes enough sence to everybody)

evearael

I label myself a monotheist, because while I believe very deeply in Judaism, I am not Jewish and am currently unable to convert. I am in awe of God's justice and mercy. I find the laws and traditions to be beautiful because they transform even the simplest acts into something holy. I do not interpret the Torah strictly literally... I feel there are many layers of interpretations to every line. I feel the most comfortable in a Conservative setting because I analyze absolutely everything and decide for myself what I think each passage means. Sometimes my interpretations are quite Orthodox, other times they are quite liberal. In Judaism, there is a rich history of debating every single word and verse in the Torah, which I find invigorating. I adore the emphasis on studying.

BruceDLimber

Hi!

I'm a Baha'i, and our most central teachings is what we call the "Three Onenesses."

1. The first is the oneness of God. There is only one God, known by different names in different languages and cultures. God is unknowable by human means; the only knowledge of God possible to humankind is that brought by His divine Messengers.

2. The second is the oneness of humankind: there is only one race, the human race, and we are members of one family.

3. The third is the oneness of religion. All the major religions of the world are divine in origin, sent by God as stages in a single evolving divine plan, the Faith of God.

Baha'is believe in what is called "progressive revelation." We believe that God made a Covenant with Abraham that humanity would never be left without Divine Guidance. In fulfillment of this, God periodically sends a Divine Messenger to renew religion (getting it "back on the rails" by eliminating man-made additions and alterations) and to bring humanity new teachings in accord with its abilities and needs at that time. (Such Messengers usually appear every 500-1,000 years.) A few have been: Moses, Jesus, Zoroaster, Krishna, Buddha, Muhammad, and Baha’u’llah (our Founder); there will be more in the future.

As to "Why?" that's very simple: because this is the best thing I've ever found, by far! Were it otherwise, I would no longer be a Baha'i.

There's much more to the Baha'i Faith, but this is the central core of it. (If you like, you can find more about it at www.bahai.org and www.bahai.us) And of course, further questions are always welcome!

Best,

Bruce

sparc872

Alright here it goes. My name is Chris and I am an atheist. I don't believe in any gods or goddesses. The universe is of natural origin with no creator. I believe this because I have observed history and how our knowledge of existence has progressively pushed old supernatural explanations farther and farther back with every year. I have looked into many religions and have found problems with quite a few, especially christianity.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I am a Pantheist. I believe in the Divinity of all things. I believe that all things are interconnected, that there is really only one thing. I can happily call this “one thing “God”, or “Nature” or “the Universe” or “the Tao” or “Brahman” or any number of other terms. I believe that this “one thing” is eternal, yet constantly changing, constantly flowing, never still. It is only flawed human perception that causes us to see things as separate entities. It is like looking at a wave and thinking that it has a separate existence from the ocean. I also believe that human beings are capable, at least in part, to see beyond this delusion of separateness and to experience the whole. That is why I also refer to myself as a mystic.

I find this philosophy to be logical and consistent and helps me to have not only respect but also deep reverence for all things.

sparc872

I am a Pantheist. I believe in the Divinity of all things. I believe that all things are interconnected, that there is really only one thing. I can happily call this “one thing “God”, or “Nature” or “the Universe” or “the Tao” or “Brahman” or any number of other terms. I believe that this “one thing” is eternal, yet constantly changing, constantly flowing, never still. It is only flawed human perception that causes us to see things as separate entities. It is like looking at a wave and thinking that it has a separate existence from the ocean. I also believe that human beings are capable, at least in part, to see beyond this delusion of separateness and to experience the whole. That is why I also refer to myself as a mystic.

I find this philosophy to be logical and consistent and helps me to have not only respect but also deep reverence for all things.

Imagine that you are a wave, a single wave on the surface of the vast ocean. The ocean represents the universe. You have a separate identity in that you have movement and form and an apparent life of your own. You may be a small ripple or you may be a giant tidal wave with terrible power at your disposal. There are many other waves each having its own characteristics - these represent all the other living beings in the universe. You are not the ocean and yet you only exist because of it. You are made of it and you cannot really distinguish the difference between the water making you up and the water forming the vast ocean itself. You cannot exist without the ocean and the ocean cannot exist without you because it is impossible to distinguish where you end and the ocean begins. Finally, after travelling over the surface of the ocean for a while, all the energies and conditions essential for your existence gradually decay away and you are unable to continue. This is not a tragedy. You simply merge back into the ocean from which you came. The ocean never loses you. Eventually, the effects you had on the ocean and a combination of thousands of other causes will produce the conditions for you to reappear on the surface. You will be a wave again. Not the same one of course…but not a different one either. This is the wonderful mystery of the eternity of life.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
sparc872 said:
Imagine that you are a wave, a single wave on the surface of the vast ocean. The ocean represents the universe. You have a separate identity in that you have movement and form and an apparent life of your own. You may be a small ripple or you may be a giant tidal wave with terrible power at your disposal. There are many other waves each having its own characteristics - these represent all the other living beings in the universe. You are not the ocean and yet you only exist because of it. You are made of it and you cannot really distinguish the difference between the water making you up and the water forming the vast ocean itself. You cannot exist without the ocean and the ocean cannot exist without you because it is impossible to distinguish where you end and the ocean begins. Finally, after travelling over the surface of the ocean for a while, all the energies and conditions essential for your existence gradually decay away and you are unable to continue. This is not a tragedy. You simply merge back into the ocean from which you came. The ocean never loses you. Eventually, the effects you had on the ocean and a combination of thousands of other causes will produce the conditions for you to reappear on the surface. You will be a wave again. Not the same one of course…but not a different one either. This is the wonderful mystery of the eternity of life.

One thing that I have come to understand is that the opposite of a profound truth is also a profound truth. When you say that the wave “is not the ocean”, this is absolutely true, and a profound truth. When I say that the “wave is the ocean” this is also a profound truth. I could say that it is a matter of perspective and we can choose which way we wish to see it. But I would rather say that these two perspectives are not contradictions, but are complementary understandings. It can be difficult, but it is not impossible to hold both conceptions simultaneously. Whether we are talking about a wave in the ocean, or we are talking about ourselves in the universe.

Many people think that a wave in the ocean is the water moving towards the shore, but this is not true. The water that forms the wave is actually moving in a circle below the surface, the water transmits the wave, but does not travel with it. Likewise with sound waves, sound causes oscillations in the air, but the air need not travel to transmit the sound. Think about it, if sound was actually transmitted by air moving from the source to the receiver (traveling at the speed of sound) you would be knocked flat every time somebody said hello.

So what is a wave? It is a separate part of the ocean, or is it merely a movement within the whole? It is really just an energy pattern within the ocean.