• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywood Myths about Love...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What sort of myths or falsehoods about love have you noticed being created or perpetuated by the entertainment industry in general, or by Hollywood in particular?

A myth that I quite often see being perpetuated in various movies is that loving someone guarantees you are right for them, or that you will be happy with them. That seems to ignore the fact that you can love someone you are emotionally, sexually, psychologically, or otherwise incompatible with. And it ignores the tragic fact that you can love someone even though they abuse you. Nevertheless, a lot of Hollywood movies seem to assume that, once a couple have discovered they are in love with each other, their compatibility and happiness is assured.

What myths have you noticed?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
What sort of myths or falsehoods about love have you noticed being created or perpetuated by the entertainment industry in general, or by Hollywood in particular?
There are a lot of things that guys do to win a girl over in movies that if done in real life... are down right creepy.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?

A myth that I quite often see being perpetuated in various movies is that loving someone guarantees you are right for them, or that you will be happy with them. That seems to ignore the fact that you can love someone you are emotionally, sexually, psychologically, or otherwise incompatible with. And it ignores the tragic fact that you can love someone even though they abuse you. Nevertheless, a lot of Hollywood movies seem to assume that, once a couple have discovered they are in love with each other, their compatibility and happiness is assured.

Of course Hollywood has to be conscious of the bottom line but you have touched on something that most people never understand. You can love someone but still not like the things they do. I, fortunately, love my wife eternally. That will never change no matter what she does. This does not mean that I will eternally like her. If she cheats on me or follows through on that frying pan to the skull threat then I would still love her but not like her and I would have to leave her. Sorry to get off subject.

jonathan180iq

I'm not talking about really strong personal bonds, because I believe that's simply what love is anyway...

But this Hollywoodian idea that somewhere "out there" is just one person who was destined to be linked to you is silly. It's also usually presented in film as someone already close to you that you commonly overlook, or someone that is actually out of your league and that you just need to gain their attention somehow in order to gain happiness for the rest of your life. It's bologna. And anyone who has ever been in a serious long-term realtionship(s) knows it.

I realize that movies are made for a generic type of audience, and to express a generic type of happiness. But the truth of life is that you can be happy with almost anyone, given those same parameters.
If we are open to change, and accept people's flaws, (which is usually what happens in these soulmate films) then almost any human relationship will prosper. It doesn't matter if it's work, socially, or romantically. When we can accept people for who they are, deal with them respectfully, talk out problems, and spend time showing them that we care about them, then only a select few will still have trouble finding "love". Those are the very things that create strong personal bonds. To be sold on the idea that it's all just some magic alignment of the stars is a nice feeling, but it's ultimately a lie.

jonathan180iq

That love is easy. That after one large trail, love is not going to provide any other challenges or hurdles (RomComs are especially guilty of this). When in reality, love is one of the hardest and most complex things people go through.
Exactly - no one is going to watch about a movie about how boring life can be at times, or about how much down-time there actually is in our day, or about how messy human relationships really are. Those stories would take hours to tell and people would tell their friends to not bother going to watch it. The most honest story-telling is probably the least profitable.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Exactly - no one is going to watch about a movie about how boring life can be at times, or about how much down-time there actually is in our day, or about how messy human relationships really are. Those stories would take hours to tell and people would tell their friends to not bother going to watch it. The most honest story-telling is probably the least profitable.

Exactly. You can do boring on your own.

4consideration

Premium Member
That TSA agents will let you through the security check-point without a ticket when love is involved, just because your true love is about to take a plane out of your life forever, and you need to stop them at the gate...before they get on that plane!

Quetzal

Premium Member
That TSA agents will let you through the security check-point without a ticket when love is involved, just because your true love is about to take a plane out of your life forever, and you need to stop them at the gate...before they get on that plane!
You used to be able to, right? Just not anymore.

Akivah

Hollywood totally ignores both the setup and the cleanup. They have these people doing elaborate things for their love, but never show the cleanup and the setup takes an instant.

Quetzal

Premium Member
This one goes far back before Hollywood and can be found in fairtales such as beauty and the beast. If you love an abuser enough, your love will eventually transform them.
Disney is behind this?! I knew it.