• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

House Resolution Bill now being put foreward declaring that Trump is not an insurrectionist.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

There is one thing of note I garnered from the watching the resolutions announcement that interests me greatly , is if anybody at all associated with the January 6th chaos was actually formally charged with insurrection and sentenced as an insurrectionist.

Of course arrests were made and people were sentenced, and rightfully so for breaking various laws, but still not one has the specific charge of insurrection levied on them. Which prompts me to ask for someone to please show me those individuals who were formally charged with Insurrection itself, if I'm wrong about this.

Because from my understanding so far, I have not heard about a single solitary person in the Capitol on that day that was charged specifically with the crime of insurrection, which makes me wonder even more more as to why Trump is being called and accused as being an insurrectionist.

This leads me to asking one major question...

If absolutely nobody was ever formally charged with the crime of insurrection, then how can Trump then be called and be accused as one?

Of course there's a lot more material to the video than just the above , but I would like to start this debate with that.

Trump haters and Trump lovers alike. All are invited here.

Thank you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some Republicans want to state that they don't
believe Trump is an insurrectionist. Big surprise.

It appears that insurrection isn't a statutory crime
itself, but is a description of committing statutory
crimes for the purpose of overthrowing government,
ie, perpetrating insurrection.
So believing that Trump is off the hook for
insurrection because of this doesn't mean that he
won't be prosecuted for crimes that amount to
insurrection.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If absolutely nobody was ever formally charged with the crime of insurrection, then how can Trump then be called and be accused as one?

To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been formally charged with being an embarrassingly ignorant creationist, but ...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

There is one thing of note I garnered from the watching the resolutions announcement that interests me greatly , is if anybody at all associated with the January 6th chaos was actually formally charged with insurrection and sentenced as an insurrectionist.

Of course arrests were made and people were sentenced, and rightfully so for breaking various laws, but still not one has the specific charge of insurrection levied on them. Which prompts me to ask for someone to please show me those individuals who were formally charged with Insurrection itself, if I'm wrong about this.

Because from my understanding so far, I have not heard about a single solitary person in the Capitol on that day that was charged specifically with the crime of insurrection, which makes me wonder even more more as to why Trump is being called and accused as being an insurrectionist.

Of course there's a lot more material to the video than just the above , but I would like to start this debate with that.

Thank you.
This has been explained to you many times so starting a thread where you ask what has been gone over many many times appears to be more than a bit disingenuous.

But it is interesting that the House Republicans are supporting a bill that will show them all to be liars.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Some Republicans want to state that they don't
believe Trump is an insurrectionist. Big surprise.

It appears that insurrection isn't a statutory crime
itself, but is a description of committing statutory
crimes for the purpose of overthrowing government,
ie, perpetrating insurrection.
So believing that Trump is off the hook for
insurrection because of this doesn't mean that he
won't be prosecuted for crimes that amount to
insurrection.
There actually is a law that @Clizby Wampuscat found that specifically mentions "insurrection". But parts of it are dubious when it comes to its constitutionality which explains why Jack Smith did not use it to charge Trump.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ

Meh... This impresses me little, honestly. Most civil war participants like Jefferson Davis, Robert e Lee, and many others weren't even charged with treason and were sent their Merry little way after the war ended. In major events, the state favors rocking the boat as little as possible. Maybe things will be different this time

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Meh... This impresses me little, honestly. Most civil war participants like Jefferson Davis, Robert e Lee, and many others weren't even charged with treason and were sent their Merry little way after the war ended. In major events, the state favors rocking the boat as little as possible. Maybe things will be different this time
On a related note, being convicted was not necessary to ban someone using the 14th Amendment. How delusional are the Republicans to think that a bill that is a clear lie would have any impact at all? It is dead in the Senate. They are just wasting their time and digging that MAGA hole deeper.

Hm, it would be interesting to see if there were any honest Republicans with a backbone left at all.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Thank you.
Another example of a waste of time. If this even passes the house it will still be completely meaningless. It will have no effect on any of the criminal charges against Trump.

Political theatre. And not even good theatre.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Thank you.

History will be the final judge as to what, exactly, one can call the events of January 6, 2021. As for the legal definitions, that's the realm of the courts.
The dictionary definition says "an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government." That's kind of vague and open-ended, covering a lot of territory.

My only real quibble with the way this has been covered is that there has been a lot of talk about how democracy was threatened, and they came so close to overthrowing the government - a perception which I reject categorically. In my view, when the Electoral College met in December and voted for Biden, that made it official. It was a done deal by then.

There was no going back at that point, even if there was still the formality of certifying the results in Congress. Even prior to that, the military made it clear that they supported and respected the Constitutional processes at work, so there wasn't going to be any coup or overthrow of the government. The military was right there to protect the Capitol the next day, and they probably should have been there the day before but...oops.

I think what they should have done (including Trump) was plead insanity. They ostensibly present themselves as patriots and people who love America so much that they didn't want to see lizard people (or some other evil force) rig the election and take over America. It seems that's what we're really dealing with here, if they want to get off the hook for insurrection. But if Trump is legally declared insane, then that would make him unfit for office, so it would be the same result either way. Though, he might get better food in a mental institution as opposed to a federal prison.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Another example of a waist of time. If this even passes the house it will still be completely meaningless. It will have no effect on any of the criminal charges against Trump.

Political theatre. And not even good theatre.
That's why it's not a waist [sic] of time.
It keeps the Magas motivated.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Correct, but they also were ineligible to run for office once the amendment was added. That was the point of the amendment. It would have been unwise to lock them up, but it would also have been unwise to let them run for high office.