• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How and why mainstream feminism bows to patriarchy

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I know...the title sounds very contradictory...but actually it's the truth.
I mean, mainstream feminism is what I call the feminism coming to us from certain political milieus and that inevitably influences us.
And it deals with creating an absolutely unrealistic and fake image of women: that is, women who aren't women any more.
Watch this video.

I have this feeling that feminists are doing what 19th century patriarchal system used to do: forcing women to be absolutely modest and prudr, and to pretend to repel the opposite sex, because that's what a good lady should do, in public.

I mean...that is light years away from the seventies, from the liberation of women in the West.
That is, a woman has the right to be cheeky and promiscuous.

Correct me if I am wrong. :)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I'm not making the connection between the video and your commentary.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm not making the connection between the video and your commentary.
I believe nowadays women are expected by this weird ideology (or rather commanded) to say that they find men icky so that the Puritan 19th century patriarchy considers them decent ladies.
Because if I said: "I love men, I love their bodies, I love every inch of them" I would be considered an immoral, immodest woman by the same patriarchy.

Can you get it now? :)

crossfire

Premium Member
I believe nowadays women are expected by this weird ideology (or rather commanded) to say that they find men icky so that the Puritan 19th century patriarchy considers them decent ladies.
Because if I said: "I love men, I love their bodies, I love every inch of them" I would be considered an immoral, immodest woman by the same patriarchy.

Can you get it now? :)
I think I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it corresponds to reality.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I agree with you that it is a speculation on your part, and a wild one at that.
But you haven't refuted it yet.
So it still stands.

I'd say that in your country women are prisoners of patriarchy. They take their husband's surname, they advertise their premarital chastity and their virginity as if they were awarded.
All this just to please the male chauvinistic, machista patriarchy. A patriarchy that wants all women to look like nuns. Because appearance is what matters.

In my country women are FREE from patriarchy. They couldn't care less if they are considered hookers just because they show their breasts and their legs on TV.
Can you see the difference, now? :)

crossfire

Premium Member
But you haven't refuted it yet.
So it still stands.

I'd say that in your country women are prisoners of patriarchy. They take their husband's surname,
Some do
they advertise their premarital chastity and their virginity as if they were awarded.
What are you talking about?
All this just to please the male chauvinistic, machista patriarchy. A patriarchy that wants all women to look like nuns
Since when? Look at how the women dress on Fox News. I would say they are more patriarchal than other media outlets.
. Because appearance is what matters.
I give men more credit than that.
In my country women are FREE from patriarchy.
If you say so.
They couldn't care less if they are considered hookers just because they show their breasts and their legs on TV.
So?
Can you see the difference, now? :)
Do all women in Italy dress the way you say? Do all women in America dress the way you say? (I can tell you that there is a wide range of how women dress in America. I have not been to Italy, so I don't know anything about the range of dress of women in Italy.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Can you give me an example of married woman who kept her maiden name? In the US.
Since when? Look at how the women dress on Fox News. I would say they are more patriarchal than other media outlets.
I can't see any difference between media outlets.
Do all women in Italy dress the way you say? Do all women in America dress the way you say? (I can tell you that there is a wide range of how women dress in America. I have not been to Italy, so I don't know anything about the range of dress of women in Italy.
On TV, yes. Most women wear revealing clothes like the example I linked.
But it's also about talking about men and sex in a way that would make them inappropriate in the US.

crossfire

Premium Member
Can you give me an example of married woman who kept her maiden name? In the US.
My boss, for one.
I can't see any difference between media outlets.
Really? OK.
On TV, yes. Most women wear revealing clothes like the example I linked.
How about in real life, out in public?
I can tell you that I sometimes have to wear long underwear during the summer because the men where I work go overboard on the air conditioning. If it's 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees C.) in my work area, the guys who wander in will complain, "It's hot in here." I'll tell them, "Then go back into your refrigerator."
But it's also about talking about men and sex in a way that would make them inappropriate in the US.
Is that feminists' fault, like you claim?