• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are these Great Beings explained?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Historians agree that, the history before Alexander is very confusing, and in many cases it is not possible to know it accurately. With this regards, there is disagreement about the history of Greek Philosophers. I know that some of the Modern ones have this view you are saying. But there is disagreement, and it cannot be proved.
There is sufficient documents from ancient Greece available to make a determination. Which material sourced from Classical Greece even refers to any such thing happening? After all the works of the philosophers, the dramatist and historians like Herodotus and Thucydides are all available. I am linking a source for reference

Greek Historians

You cannot make such spectacular and evidence free claims and expect them to go unchallenged. Why do you believe such claims?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

I have a couple of questions. Short answers please.

Do each of you believe that Bahaullah's interpretation of revealed religions overrides the interpretations from those who believe in the revealed religions themselves?

Yes

Who has the authority in Bahai faith to interpret revealed religious teachings: Bahaullah or the followers of that said faith?

Baha'u'llah, Abdul-Baha and Shoghi Effendi only. Not The Universal House of Justice or Individual Baha'is. We are allowed to form our own conclusions but not state it as the correct view.

Who defines the greater truth for revealed religions? Bahaullah or the followers of those said faith?

Baha'u'llah

Are the followers of the said revealed religions have influence on Bahaullah's interpretations of their scriptures and beliefs? Why or why not?

No. Only appointed Interpreters Abdul-Baha and Shoghi Effendi can interpret the Baha'i Writings.

This was done to protect the Baha'i Faith from breaking up into schisms due to conflicting interpretations. This is why we don't see such things as 40,000 sects of the Baha'i Faith but only one Baha'i World Community.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The promised one of each Manifestation. For example, Moses promised about Messiah. When their Messiah came, in the person of Jesus, He judged among them. Jesus pointed that the Jewish Religious Leaders of His time were false, and were not following Moses in reality. That is in the Bible.
Also, when Jesus came He promised after Himself another One comes. So, when that Promised was fulfilled in the Person of Muhammad, He pointed out all those false teachings that had been added to Christianity. Likewise, Muhammad promised that after Him, the Mahdi will come and will judge. When their Mahdi came invested with sign and evidence in the Person of the Bab, He pointed the false beliefs that the Religious Leaders of Islam had invented and had added to Religion of Muhammad.

So the one guy declares himself to be the promised one, and then declares everyone else to be false teachers? (This is a very common theme, BTW, and many have done it, probably several thousand on the planet today, a couple on this forum.)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Baha'u'llah, Abdul-Baha and Shoghi Effendi only. N

So I have another question. Why is it that it's rarely mentioned that Abdul-Baha was Baha'u'llah's son, and Shoghi Effendi was the grandson, son of Abdul-Baha. Doesn't anyone find it odd that spiritual lineages are family lineages, just like monarchies were? Seems too much like trying to retain power in-house.

Outside my paradigm, because in Hinduism, paramparas (lineages) are passed along to the most qualified person spiritually, not sons or daughters, but then again in Hinduism, teachers are celibate monks.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@loverofhumanity and @InvestigateTruth
Edit: @adrian and @arthra (hopefully)

Thank you for answering the questions. Of course, I disagree but here are my thoughts. I disagree with anything and anyone being infallible. That makes a person god and Islam teachings do not believe that. I disagree that other followers have no say in the interpretation and validity of their own faith in Bahai tradition; it is disrespectful to say this. I feel that if one wants to know the truth of another person's religion, they need to understand and find interpretation from the people who practice it only. I also disagree that world peace will happen based on your answers. One because you are not taking the validity of other religions answers and interpretations as truth and two, as a result, you are not agreeing nor respecting (respecting followers interpretations) followers by your religion. That will not bring world peace. Also, world peace incorporates all religious input and agreement not just revealed religions and those who believe in god (and interpreted as if god exist where it does not in fact).

I do agree with the general goal of wanting world peace. Realistically, I do not feel it will happen. As long as you have an infalliable fiath (as so do Christians and Muslims) there will always be a heirarchy. You can't have peace in that type of mindset. However, you can have mutual respect. Changing how you express your views is a plus and being mindful that other people do not agree with you interpreting their faiths and declaring them as fact.

So, I'ma secede. Whatever you post and disagree with, basically I'll say the same thing just in different wording. I don't have an infallible faith so I have nothing to present but my own expressions and what I know is true regardless if everyone else thinks otherwise.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Do each of you believe that Bahaullah's interpretation of revealed religions overrides the interpretations from those who believe in the revealed religions themselves?

As a Baha'is I believe Baha'u'llah is the Manifestation of God for this day. That is what I believe, and I do not expect others to conform to my beliefs or accept my beliefs as being true.

Who has the authority in Bahai faith to interpret revealed religious teachings: Bahaullah or the followers of that said faith?

Abdu'l-Baha and Shoghi Effendi have the authority to interpret. The Universal House of Justice is authorised to resolve difficult problems in regards to the Faith. As an individual I am obliged to investigate reality for myself. I am obliged to recognise the authority of Abdu'l-Baha, Shoghi Effendi, and the Universal House of Justice as well as Baha'u'llah.

Who defines the greater truth for revealed religions? Bahaullah or the followers of those said faith?

Baha'is like all people have a worldview that helps us make sense of the universe we live in. That worldview is based on the teachings of Baha'u'llah. As a general rule we don't tell people of other faiths what to think and believe, rather listen to others and when appropriate share our beliefs in a spirit of fellowship and goodwill.

Are the followers of the said revealed religions have influence on Bahaullah's interpretations of their scriptures and beliefs? Why or why not?

There are many aspects of life and religion that the Baha'i writings do not mention. We can not change what Baha'u'llah has written or said. It is up to each of us as human beings to investigate the truth for ourselves and live in accordance with the outcome of our investigation and aspire to be the best we can be.

Hope that helps.:)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
So, I'ma secede. Whatever you post and disagree with, basically I'll say the same thing just in different wording. I don't have an infallible faith so I have nothing to present but my own expressions and what I know is true regardless if everyone else thinks otherwise.

I really appreciate that you have expressed your views with sincerity, clarity and courtesy. I have a lot of empathy for your position though clearly we have a different worldview. That is something that I try to live by and not impose on others.

I've been married 17 years and my wife is not a Baha'i. I naturally hope she will become a Baha'i one day along with my two teenage sons, but whatever will be, will be. Interestingly my wife enjoys going to Baha'i meetings and talking with the Baha'is but has become very weary and uncomfortable with Christianity over the years. Her mother is a Buddhist and father an atheist. On the other hand I do volunteer work at a Christian Medical Centre.

We're all human beings and we need to find the best way to get along that we can.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
So I have another question. Why is it that it's rarely mentioned that Abdul-Baha was Baha'u'llah's son, and Shoghi Effendi was the grandson, son of Abdul-Baha. Doesn't anyone find it odd that spiritual lineages are family lineages, just like monarchies were? Seems too much like trying to retain power in-house.

Outside my paradigm, because in Hinduism, paramparas (lineages) are passed along to the most qualified person spiritually, not sons or daughters, but then again in Hinduism, teachers are celibate monks.

It's mentioned on the official Bahá'í Faith website in some detail so it's openly publicised on the internet in this link.

Bahá’u’lláh and His Covenant | What Bahá’ís Believe

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
.... Of course, I disagree but here are my thoughts. I disagree with anything and anyone being infallible. That makes a person god and Islam teachings do not believe that. .

Simply incorrect. In Islam, the Shia Islam believes Muhammad and Shia Imams are infallible and without Sin. Sunnis, usually believe Muhammad was infallible with regards to His Revelation, including Quran and Hadith, and Traditions. And for a fact, Quran promises that on the Day of Resurrection Allah comes to earth, and there are Traditions from Shia Imams saying, that would be fulfilled through Mahdi, because God does not move and cannot be limited to this earth, thus, that prophecy is regarding Mahdi. I have read these from Shia Islam sources.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Simply incorrect. In Islam, the Shia Islam believes Muhammad and Shia Imams are infallible and without Sin. Sunnis, usually believe Muhammad was infallible with regards to His Revelation, including Quran and Hadith, and Traditions. And for a fact, Quran promises that on the Day of Resurrection Allah comes to earth, and there are Traditions from Shia Imams saying, that would be fulfilled through Mahdi, because God does not move and cannot be limited to this earth, thus, that prophecy is regarding Mahdi. I have read these from Shia Islam sources.

The point is I dont believe ajyone and anything is infaillable. By abrahamic definition it makes them god.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My point is I do not believe anyone and akything is infalliable. That in monotheism makes a person god.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
My point is I do not believe anyone and akything is infalliable. That in monotheism makes a person god.
I understand that you do not believe that. Of course you are entitled to your belief, and generally I understand, when a mind cannot accept something to be true, how could it believe it.
See what Bahaullah had said with this regards:

"[The reason for this doubt and unbelief is] the appearance of that immortal Beauty in the image of mortal man, with such human limitations as eating and drinking, poverty and riches, glory and abasement, sleeping and waking, and such other things as cast doubt in the minds of men, and cause them to turn away. All such veils are symbolically referred to as “clouds.”
These are the “clouds” that cause the heavens of the knowledge and understanding of all that dwell on earth to be cloven asunder. Even as He hath revealed: “On that day shall the heaven be cloven by the clouds." Even as the clouds prevent the eyes of men from beholding the sun, so do these things hinder the souls of men from recognizing the light of the divine Luminary. To this beareth witness that which hath proceeded out of the mouth of the unbelievers as revealed in the sacred Book: “And they have said: ‘What manner of apostle is this? He eateth food, and walketh the streets. Unless an angel be sent down and take part in His warnings, we will not believe.’” Other Prophets, similarly, have been subject to poverty and afflictions, to hunger, and to the ills and chances of this world. As these holy Persons were subject to such needs and wants, the people were, consequently, lost in the wilds of misgivings and doubts, and were afflicted with bewilderment and perplexity. How, they wondered, could such a person be sent down from God, assert His ascendancy over all the peoples and kindreds of the earth, and claim Himself to be the goal of all creation..."

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
@loverofhumanity and @InvestigateTruth
Edit: @adrian and @arthra (hopefully)

Thank you for answering the questions. Of course, I disagree but here are my thoughts. I disagree with anything and anyone being infallible. That makes a person god and Islam teachings do not believe that. I disagree that other followers have no say in the interpretation and validity of their own faith in Bahai tradition; it is disrespectful to say this. I feel that if one wants to know the truth of another person's religion, they need to understand and find interpretation from the people who practice it only. I also disagree that world peace will happen based on your answers. One because you are not taking the validity of other religions answers and interpretations as truth and two, as a result, you are not agreeing nor respecting (respecting followers interpretations) followers by your religion. That will not bring world peace. Also, world peace incorporates all religious input and agreement not just revealed religions and those who believe in god (and interpreted as if god exist where it does not in fact).

I do agree with the general goal of wanting world peace. Realistically, I do not feel it will happen. As long as you have an infalliable fiath (as so do Christians and Muslims) there will always be a heirarchy. You can't have peace in that type of mindset. However, you can have mutual respect. Changing how you express your views is a plus and being mindful that other people do not agree with you interpreting their faiths and declaring them as fact.

1. You have very good reason to be hesitant about infallibility as it involves complete trust and misplaced blind trust has led to disasters so I understand your being wary. Yet Baha'is have placed complete trust in the infallibility of the Universal House of Justice since 1963 and only good has come from it.

2. Interpretation. Permission to authoritatively interpret Holy Books by individuals has been removed in the Baha'i Faith because it has been the cause of so much strife, discord and schisms. Well meaning interpreters of other Faiths, if they were permitted to introduce their interpretations into our Faith would soon lead to scisms as in their Faiths.

3. The truth of another person's religion from their followers.
This is a very difficult subject because in all honesty where are these Faiths? If I ask a Sunni and a Shiah about Islam I will get two conflicting answers. A Sunni will say Islam is this and a Shiah will say its that. The best I can do is accept what they both agree on which would be Muhammad is a Prophet, the Quran is their Holy Book but if one tells me the Caliphs were the true successors and the other tells me the Imams are the true ones then which is Islam? The same with all the Faiths. When their views are opposite to each other, which one do I accept? Whichever I accept I'm at odds with the other sect so it's problematic.

One of the most divisive issues within religions and between religions is interpretation. Interpretations have caused wars and violence and all sorts of hatreds and prejudices. Terrorism is based on a wrong interpretation.

There is an interpretation which can create mutual respect within religions and between them but people have not been educated in it.

How can we agree with an interpretation of the Quran that defines 'infidels' as Americans, Jews, Hindus and Baha'is and justify genocide, terrorist attacks and crashing planes into buildings??

The definition of an infidel in the Quran is not just a disbeliever but one who murders, rapes and causes harm to others, The term infidel was used to describe those who continually committed unprovoked hostilities against Muslims with intent of genocide.

Unless there is a restatement of this wrong interpretation used by terrorist groups today, atrocities will continue. So the true, peaceful interpretation of the Quran needs to be taught.

A lot of conflict between religions is based on wrong interpretations. A Christian once told me Buddha was a false prophet from satan & mentioned in the Bible. I asked her to show me where. She flicked to the page talking about false prophets and gleefully said 'there'!! I said 'no' show me where it says BUDDHA is a false prophet. As you know, the name Buddha is nowhere mentioned in the Bible so why are Christians demeaning Him and speaking in an offensive manner about Him and the other prophets? It's all faulty, very faulty interpretation.

The correct interpretation is that Buddha is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible so should not be judged as from Satan.

Thousands of false translations by theologians have ruined religion when all their Holy Book taught them was to love not to judge.

So peace will come with the re education of humanity.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The point is I dont believe ajyone and anything is infaillable. By abrahamic definition it makes them god.

Carlita. Thank you for all your effort and time. I love your questions and enjoy your posts immensely. One day you might share with us about your beliefs. I really think there's much truth in what you believe because it makes you very accepting of others. Any book you can suggest? I have diwnloaded some Hindu books and bought some and technically I'm learning a tiny bit so maybe we can learn what makes you tick too.

I understand and we've been badly burnt in the past by blind trust but Baha'is have trusted in the infallibility of the Bab, Baha'u'llah, Abdul-Baha, Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice - a total of about 173 years of continuous infallible divine guidance and only good has come from it.

No wars, no conflicts, only one Bahai worldwide community at peace so it has worked for us.

So with regards to Baha'is, belief in infallibility has been a very positive thing.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I really appreciate that you have expressed your views with sincerity, clarity and courtesy. I have a lot of empathy for your position though clearly we have a different worldview. That is something that I try to live by and not impose on others.

I've been married 17 years and my wife is not a Baha'i. I naturally hope she will become a Baha'i one day along with my two teenage sons, but whatever will be, will be. Interestingly my wife enjoys going to Baha'i meetings and talking with the Baha'is but has become very weary and uncomfortable with Christianity over the years. Her mother is a Buddhist and father an atheist. On the other hand I do volunteer work at a Christian Medical Centre.

We're all human beings and we need to find the best way to get along that we can.

Aha! That is why you are a bit more introspective. I have friends who are Buddhist, my mother is atheist, and my father believes in god but doesn't profess a religion. Of course, christians are everywhere I go.

I do learn a lot talking with you and appreciate the appreciation :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I understand that you do not believe that. Of course you are entitled to your belief, and generally I understand, when a mind cannot accept something to be true, how could it believe it.

Huh? I do believe that it is not true; so, my mind can't accept something I know isn't true. I use belief because people get offended when I state a claim of knowledge. In this case, I know. As with god and everything else, I don't understand why others say the opposite. A lot of beliefs are shaped by culture and tradition. It's interesting people don't see that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can't reply in full because of space.
1. You have very good reason to be hesitant about infallibility as it involves complete trust and misplaced blind trust has led to disasters so I understand your being wary. Yet Baha'is have placed complete trust in the infallibility of the Universal House of Justice since 1963 and only good has come from it.
I know. It's illogical. I'm not hesitate though, from your view, I can kinda see why you say that. Unfortunately, you'd have to take my views as valid and true in order to understand. When you don't, I can't say anything more.
2. Interpretation. Permission to authoritatively interpret Holy Books by individuals has been removed in the Baha'i Faith because it has been the cause of so much strife, discord and schisms. Well meaning interpreters of other Faiths, if they were permitted to introduce their interpretations into our Faith would soon lead to scisms as in their Faiths.
I disagree. Nothing more I can say.
3. The truth of another person's religion from their followers. This is a very difficult subject because in all honesty where are these Faiths? If I ask a Sunni and a Shiah about Islam I will get two conflicting answers. A Sunni will say Islam is this and a Shiah will say its that. The best I can do is accept what they both agree on which would be Muhammad is a Prophet, the Quran is their Holy Book but if one tells me the Caliphs were the true successors and the other tells me the Imams are the true ones then which is Islam? The same with all the Faiths. When their views are opposite to each other, which one do I accept? Whichever I accept I'm at odds with the other sect so it's problematic.
You're stuck on how people have different beliefs about one faith therefore you need someone outside all faiths to interpret for them. I disagree. Regardless the result, it's the right of the people who follow to interpret not an outsider. Period.
One of the most divisive issues within religions and between religions is interpretation. Interpretations have caused wars and violence and all sorts of hatreds and prejudices. Terrorism is based on a wrong interpretation.
If you see it in a societal level not an individual level. Society is made of people. Address the people. If you don't accept their interpretation, you will not have peace.
There is an interpretation which can create mutual respect within religions and between them but people have not been educated in it.
You can't have mutual respect when you admit that someone outside revealed faith have rights to interpret theirs faith for them. That has been expressed throughout the thread. Can't say anything more.
How can we agree with an interpretation of the Quran that defines 'infidels' as Americans, Jews, Hindus and Baha'is and justify genocide, terrorist attacks and crashing planes into buildings??
Ha. Because you are respecting people as individuals. If I practiced Catholicism, you would not accept my interpretation because Catholicism caused wars? Doesn't make sense. There is nothing more I can say.
A lot of conflict between religions is based on wrong interpretations. A Christian once told me Buddha was a false prophet from satan & mentioned in the Bible. I asked her to show me where. She flicked to the page talking about false prophets and gleefully said 'there'!! I said 'no' show me where it says BUDDHA is a false prophet. As you know, the name Buddha is nowhere mentioned in the Bible so why are Christians demeaning Him and speaking in an offensive manner about Him and the other prophets? It's all faulty, very faulty interpretation.
Unfortunately, you don't understand individual spirituality and the truth of a faith on an individual bases. That's something to look into. Nothing more I can say.
The correct interpretation is that Buddha is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible so should not be judged as from Satan.
Of course not! You're looking for similarities and connections where there is none. Period.
Thousands of false translations by theologians have ruined religion when all their Holy Book taught them was to love not to judge.
That's your opinion.
So peace will come with the re education of humanity.
Peace comes with mutual respect not re-education. Sorry, I'd find it a huge insult as a Catholic for you to reinterpret my faith because of other people's misdeeds. Very disrespectful.

Nothing more to say.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Carlita. Thank you for all your effort and time. I love your questions and enjoy your posts immensely. One day you might share with us about your beliefs. I really think there's much truth in what you believe because it makes you very accepting of others. Any book you can suggest? I have diwnloaded some Hindu books and bought some and technically I'm learning a tiny bit so maybe we can learn what makes you tick too.

I understand and we've been badly burnt in the past by blind trust but Baha'is have trusted in the infallibility of the Bab, Baha'u'llah, Abdul-Baha, Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice - a total of about 173 years of continuous infallible divine guidance and only good has come from it.

No wars, no conflicts, only one Bahai worldwide community at peace so it has worked for us.

So with regards to Baha'is, belief in infallibility has been a very positive thing.
Would not follower of every revealed religion say the same for their own faith? Would not ex believers say the exact opposite? As a person influenced by Socrates (who had no influence from Moses) who time and again showed how claims of certainty of others fell apart under examination, I am inclined to be highly skeptical to such expressions of infallible certainty. It is certainties that lead to violence, it appears. I find no evidence that can justify that arrogant ion of certainty and infallibility can ever lead to world peace. It creates strong cohesion within groups and equally strong opposition among groups. It's people who open things out to uncertainties that transcends groups or infallibility claims that breach such boundaries... Rumi, Kabir, Muinuddin Chisti, Nanak, Emerson, Gandhi are good examples
Here is Buddha on the subject.

—------——---------------------------
There are five things that can turn out in two ways in the here-&-now. Which five? Conviction, liking, unbroken tradition, reasoning by analogy, & an agreement through pondering views. These are the five things that can turn out in two ways in the here-&-now.
Now some things are firmly held in conviction and yet vain, empty, & false.Some things are not firmly held in conviction, and yet they are genuine, factual, & unmistaken.

Some things are well-liked and yet vain, empty and false. Some things are not well liked and yet genuine, factual and unmistaken.

Some things are unbroken tradition...

Some things are well-reasoned...

Some things are well-pondered and yet vain, empty, & false. Some things are not well-pondered, and yet they are genuine, factual, & unmistaken.

In these cases it isn't proper for a knowledgeable person who safeguards the truth to come to a definite conclusion, 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless."
"If a person has conviction, his statement, 'This is my conviction,' safeguards the truth. But he doesn't yet come to the definite conclusion that 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless.' To this extent, Bharadvaja, there is the safeguarding of the truth. To this extent one safeguards the truth. I describe this as the safeguarding of the truth. But it is not yet an awakening to the truth.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I read a lot from what other Pagans believe in. There is a book called People of the Earth. The author interviewed different religious about their faith and how they see other people's faith. Books on holistic medicine and finding ways to connect with the earth are part of my faith. Wrapping my life with the cycles of the moon and sun are part of it. Art is an out and used as prayer and spiritual practice. I've been collaging lately. I didn't know how relaxing it is to put together meaningful pictures, quotes, and pictures that call to me. It's relaxing to the soul.

It's one of many beliefs that have their view of what is sacred and perfect. I've never saw life that way. The Buddha hasn't either. So, it puzzles me that you incorporate The Buddha's teachings in your faith when so far I've seen your faith is completely opposite. That is my opinion. Nothing more.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
This is an unsolicited post.

For some time now Carlita has kindly pointed out we should 'ask the religionists about their religions'. I've been wondering how we can do this and it just occurred to me we can do it here so I am including links to sites which I hope will cover all the religionsists where we can get information from them direct about their beliefs. I have not left out anyone intentionally but if I have I apologise.

This is really all thanks to Carlita.

Ask Pagans

What is Paganism? - Pagan Federation International

What is Paganism?

Ask Hindus (courtesy of Vinayaka)

Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia

Ask Muslims

http://www.askislampedia.com/web/guest/basic-islam-info

Ask Christians

Theopedia | An encyclopedia of Biblical Christianity

Ask Buddhists

SuttaCentral: Early Buddhist texts, translations, and parallels