• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How awesome is South Park?

LongGe123

I think it's worth making a thread about this - South Park is quite simply one of the greatest TV shows ever made. I just finished watching my DVD of series 9, and I thought it was incredible. It's such an amazing show on all kinds of levels.

• It's bloody hilarious
  • It criticises all the right people in just the right way (at least in my mind it does)
  • It's bold and daring (they aren't afraid to say EXACTLY what they mean)
  • It makes a whole lot of sense (again, certainly in my own mind)
Please join me in praise of this TV show which is into it's 10 season and still making me laugh hysterically. It's so rare thay any TV show actually improves season by season. I mean, look at the Simpsons - such a terrible decline. I'm not sure I've watched the 9th season of something and been so impressed.

What does everyone think the best feature about South Park is? I think the daring nature of the creators is certainly one. They really put all the PC sitcom type comedies to shame with their in-your-face, no-nonsense approach. The way they present some of their criticisms and making fun are really clever too.

I remember that episode with the 's' word. When the head of the TV network is saying that he can say it as much as he wants, and goes 's....s....s..s.s.s.s..s.s..s.s.s<breathe>s..s.s..s.s..s.s..s.s..s.s.s.s.' and then that dragon thing appears, haha, so base and yet so brilliant.

LongGe123

Oh, and I just remembered the episode about the mormons too - a little harsh I know, but if that's really how the story goes, then I say - HARSH BUT FAIR, I mean, come on!

<sings> dum dum dum dum dum

haha, it was just funny to watch though right?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I've always considered South Park a guiilty pleasure that I revisit from time to time, when opportunity presents itself.

Some aspects of the show are so juvenile and sophomoric (I mean, c'mon - singing, dancing turds?), that bathroom humor seems mightily elevated by comparison.

I confess that I really haven't tuned into South Park over the last few years, but after the public controversy regarding the Scientologists, Tom Cruise (and his sexual orientation), and the sudden departure of cast member Issac Hayes (as "Chef"), on the grounds of unfair religious ridicule of people of faith-based beliefs - I had to watch the latest season's episodic "answer" to the Scientologist uproar, in "The Return of Chef".

That episode was the singularly greatest "F**K YOU!" I have ever had the pleasure to gloriously indulge on TV. My wife and I watched together, caught between moments of gape-jawed incredulity ("Oh my Gawd!"), and howling, nearly tear-laden laughter. Trey Parker and Matt Stone literally redefined the whole notion of "don't get mad...get even" in that one episode. Delicious, hilarious, inspired, and unparalleled retribution that sets a new standard for telling your critics to "Go f**k yourself!". Wow. I bow to their supremely unrepentant, laser-sharp, eviscerating wit.

We have all new episodes of South Park TiVo'd for the remainder of the season.

Now...if I can only find the time to actually watch them...;-)

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Anyone catch a momentary whiff of feral monkey in here, or am I overusing the British Sterling cologne yet again?

*splash*, *splash*

I can't see myself in the mirror!
What can it mean?

standing_alone

LongGe123 said:
South Park is quite simply one of the greatest TV shows ever made.

I must agree. I don't watch alot of television, but whenever I see that South Park is on, I watch it. Definately one of the best shows ever. I love the satire present in the show.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
I never could get into it I'm afraid, I like things a tad more tasteful. I think "Greatest tv shows ever" should be reserved for things like Cheers, and Mash. They are in a different league. It's probably just my taste though.

c0da

I am obsessed with South Park. Has anybody seen the new two part 'Cartoon Wars' episode with Mohammad and Family Guy yet?

It's really funny. Apparently Trey and Matt wanted to show Mohammad and had drew him in but Comedy Central edited it out before airing it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
LongGe123 said:
Oh, and I just remembered the episode about the mormons too - a little harsh I know, but if that's really how the story goes, then I say - HARSH BUT FAIR, I mean, come on!

<sings> dum dum dum dum dum

haha, it was just funny to watch though right?

Harsh but fair on the mormons? The buddhists? The muslims? The Christians? How is that fair?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Atheist_Dave said:
I never could get into it I'm afraid, I like things a tad more tasteful. I think "Greatest tv shows ever" should be reserved for things like Cheers, and Mash. They are in a different league. It's probably just my taste though.
No, I'm with you.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Atheist_Dave said:
I'm with Dave and Maize. I found some episodes of South Park funny, but it got old to me real quick. Going out of your way to offend people just isn't funny to me.

Matt88

Joseph Smith he was a prophet Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum

It may seem crude and raunchy to some, but it touches on some sort of social issue in almost every single episode. Goobacks from the Future was a great one, it's about immigration and about people fleeing their crappy countries and coming here are ruining our country. "They took our jobs!", it's a great episode, as is every south park episode I've seen.

finalfrogo

Buttercup said:
.....**Chimp sneaks into room to hastily exclaim,.....

"I am proud to say I've never watched one episode of South Park!"....:D

....and scampers out at her usual mach one speed to avoid careening rocks overhead*

Then that chimp hasn't lived a single day in his life. :biglaugh: