• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can one be Christian and Wiccan

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
From what I know of each religion they are both very set that you must follow their own god/ess. Christians believe that none is higher than God and he is everything. Wouldn't it be smacking him in the face to pray to him and then turn around and pray to the god and goddess of the isles?? Just wondering.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Yeh easy....if you ask the wind to blow and the butterfly flaps her wings, don't you ask the butterfly?
Its only courtesy, yet only one God is in all…..i.e…..Namaste :angel2:

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
no if you believe in wicca as gardner defined it (he being the founder and all) it is a mystery fertility cult that has a god and goddess of the isles. therefore it makes it hard to then also say that christ is wrong and believe that you can make 3 deities happy at once. Remember as a christian you aren't supposed to praise anyone higher than God himself.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
no if you believe in wicca as gardner defined it (he being the founder and all) it is a mystery fertility cult that has a god and goddess of the isles. therefore it makes it hard to then also say that christ is wrong and believe that you can make 3 deities happy at once. Remember as a christian you aren't supposed to praise anyone higher than God himself.

Who says the God and Goddess are higher than the Christian God? The Bible may say that God said to worship any other god before him, not instead of or in cooperation with him.

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
wow that just sounds twisted to me. but hey have fun with that. isn't magic a bad thing in the bible too? And sex with out intent to reproduce? I would also bet that the god and goddess wouldn't like being worshiped after someone else.

right God said don't worship anyone before me but worship anyone/thing that you want after...got it.

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
With great difficulty and intellectual dishonesty.

that is what I was thinking but they seem to have come up with ways so that it doesn't sound quite so bad to them. (I bet a lot of them think that wicca is a tree humping, cloud sucking, bunny kissing religion and it isn't)

OOps now they might learn the truth

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
wow that just sounds twisted to me. but hey have fun with that. isn't magic a bad thing in the bible too? And sex with out intent to reproduce? I would also bet that the god and goddess wouldn't like being worshiped after someone else.

That's up to the Christian Wiccan to decide, if one cannot come to terms with the outwardly seeming opposing views, then it is not a path for that one.

right God said don't worship anyone before me but worship anyone/thing that you want after...got it.

That's not at all what I said. Why the assumption that there is a hierarchy? That one is greater than another?

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
That's up to the Christian Wiccan to decide, if one cannot come to terms with the outwardly seeming opposing views, then it is not a path for that one.

if one notces the opposing views one should realize that it is a huge ball of fluff and to move on. Why can't they just pick one or the other???

By the way what is wicca?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

Is BTW (British Traditional Wicca) the only valid form of Wicca?

Gardener may have come up with the religion, but it has changed a lot since the 50's, 60's and 70's. For example, we have better information now, and no longer believe that Wicca is an ancient religion. Gardener certainly did. And, in no way do I recall ever reading that one has to worship Deities from the British Isles to be a Wiccan (google: Why Wicca isn't Celtic).

Christian Wicca isn't about worshiping the Christian God, and a bunch of others. Most replace the Goddess and God with Yahweh, and the Sophia, or sometimes Mary.

The label "Christian Wicca" is a misnomer, as in practice it is normally neither Christian nor Wiccan.

However, I will never understand why some Wiccans get so bent out of shape about this.

Bishka

Veteran Member
that is what I was thinking but they seem to have come up with ways so that it doesn't sound quite so bad to them. (I bet a lot of them think that wicca is a tree humping, cloud sucking, bunny kissing religion and it isn't)

This is a DIR forum (Discuss Individual Religion). If you are going to resort to name-calling, well, then some of us will resort to calling the moderators on this one.

Random

Christianity it a patriarchal Abrahamic religion. Wicca involves magic and witchcraft (strictly forbidden in Abrahamic faiths) and has its origins in Goddess-worship (again diametrically opposed to the fundamentals of Abrahamic religion). Can you see the point as I see it?

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
Is BTW (British Traditional Wicca) the only valid form of Wicca?

Gardener may have come up with the religion, but it has changed a lot since the 50's, 60's and 70's. For example, we have better information now, and no longer believe that Wicca is an ancient religion. Gardener certainly did. And, in no way do I recall ever reading that one has to worship Deities from the British Isles to be a Wiccan (google: Why Wicca isn't Celtic).

Christian Wicca isn't about worshiping the Christian God, and a bunch of others. Most replace the Goddess and God with Yahweh, and the Sophia, or sometimes Mary.

The label "Christian Wicca" is a misnomer, as in practice it is normally neither Christian nor Wiccan.

However, I will never understand why some Wiccans get so bent out of shape about this.

I hate to tell ya but seeing as Gardner made the religion by compiling many other religions together and perfroming religious rape I think what he said is what it is. Not some watered down so that the general public will like it thing. No one ever said that the lord and lady of the isles were the british isles. That distinction was never made.

Some questions

If you do not follow either religion, why use their names?
Wicca is an earth loving religion?

Just 2 for now I'll think of more later.

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
Christianity it a patriarchal Abrahamic religion. Wicca involves magic and witchcraft (strictly forbidden in Abrahamic faiths) and has its origins in Goddess-worship (again diametrically opposed to the fundamentals of Abrahamic religion). Can you see the point as I see it?

I know exactly what you are talking about!

Booko

Deviled Hen
When Mike182 gets back in a week, be sure to ask him about this, as he was Christian Wicca for some time.