• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can we know "God" exists?

Orias

Left Hand Path
I think more importantly, verification is dependent upon the question, not necessarily the test and whatever is subjected to the test.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste

please excuse my turning your question around but I would rather answer the most inportant first , ....
Is there any evidence for God? Scientific, anecdotal, philosophical or otherwise?

This exists , therefore God exists !.........as God is the essence which pervades all .

therefore when you say ...."How do you view God? ".....

How do you view God? As a literal metaphysical being in the sky? As a state of being? As a force that transcends all? Not literally real, but a symbol that points to something beyond what we can comprehend?
he is the vastness of the sky , he is the perfection of our being , he is the force that symultaniously pervades and trancends all , and although we may be able to comprehend some aspects of his being , his magnitude is such that we can not comprehend all .

I think that the possibility of God is great, considering how organized and precise the universe is; but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I believe in God.
if you see this much then it is only a matter of time before you see more , the truth is we are not looking , prehaps we are scared to look beyond what we know , what we feel comfortable with . ....but as god pervades all we will one day see some small glimpse even when we are not looking to see , or we will at times of trouble find ourselves instinctively calling out to a god that we previously had not felt that we had beleived in .......
then we will know that god exists .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste domenic :namaste

what you say illustrates perfectly mans need to understand god , when our comfortable lives are shaken , when we are awoken from our slumber , we begin to ask the meaning of it all , and finding no answer in humanity we turn instinctively to God .

what do you beleive will be the nature of the second coming ?

(forgive me not being christian I am not so well informed of the prophecy from the christian persoective ,)

Last edited by a moderator:

TommyDar

I do not think we can know "God" exists, but if we rationally examine the idea of ​​"God" as a kind of supernatural being who is omnipotent and omnipresent, then I think the evidence would be more against its existence than for it.

The idea of being omnipotent and all-knowing is inconsistent. People would say that God does not make errors, but that means in effect that he/it is incapable of making mistakes - which means naturally that "God" is not all-knowing and all-powerful.

Orias

Left Hand Path
It might convince you of your own existence.
Then you can begin to reason.....

Well if I am convinced of my own existence, then I must surely be convinced that something caused my existence, and the existence before my existence.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Well if I am convinced of my own existence, then I must surely be convinced that something caused my existence, and the existence before my existence.

How can you be convinced there was anything before your existence?

Orias

Left Hand Path
How can you be convinced there was anything before your existence?

If I exist, and I have the potential to make other things exist (such as a seed), then I must of come from something that existed before me (like a seed).

Tiberius

The same way?

What tests can verify our subjective existence?

I can conduct many tests to verify your existence (as long as you don't get into some claim like all of reality is just an illusion and there isn't really anyone else). I can measure your height, weight, I can use a cat scan. All sorts of things.

According to you, these things should also work on God, because you are saying that God's existence can be tested "the same way" as a person's existence.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I can conduct many tests to verify your existence (as long as you don't get into some claim like all of reality is just an illusion and there isn't really anyone else). I can measure your height, weight, I can use a cat scan. All sorts of things.

According to you, these things should also work on God, because you are saying that God's existence can be tested "the same way" as a person's existence.

Of course, I did say the same tests (one's used to verify our existence) could verify the existence of "God".

Is there something you disagree with here?

Tiberius

Of course, I did say the same tests (one's used to verify our existence) could verify the existence of "God".

Is there something you disagree with here?

Okay then.

I can measure your height. Please tell me how you can measure God's height.

Aquitaine

How do you view God? As a literal metaphysical being in the sky? As a state of being? As a force that transcends all? Not literally real, but a symbol that points to something beyond what we can comprehend?

Is there any evidence for God? Scientific, anecdotal, philosophical or otherwise?

I think that the possibility of God is great, considering how organized and precise the universe is; but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I believe in God.

To be honest I don't think we have (or will ever have) the answer to this Age-old question regarding "God". Just like we cannot ever know what Death is like.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Okay then.

I can measure your height. Please tell me how you can measure God's height.

I'd assume you can measure his height the same way you can measure mine. I mean we are very similar in structure anyways.

Use the same tools used to measure the height of stars and nebulae, because these tools are also used to measure the height of humans and what you call "God".

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
"Just what are you doing, good sir?"
"Measuring."
"Measuring what, exactly?"
"Shhhh, I'm almost finished. Ah! Perfect. Six foot and three quarters of an inch! A perfectly existent height! This person here is most certainly in existence due to its height."
"Oh? What height would be non-existent?"
"I...umm... that is... hmmm... "

Orias

Left Hand Path
Or better yet, what thing capable of being measured would lack existence?

How can we know "God" exists?

Can "God" be measured physically, philosophically, intellectually? What gives way to proper measurement and hence accurate development of idea and or circumstance?

Tiberius

I'd assume you can measure his height the same way you can measure mine. I mean we are very similar in structure anyways.

Use the same tools used to measure the height of stars and nebulae, because these tools are also used to measure the height of humans and what you call "God".

God is a physical entity then? What is his location?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

My view of god transcends all known aspects about him. If one truly believed in god then he or she would realize that this being would be immensely powerful so this entity could not be restricted to form but can also be any form it desires.
A pure state of transcendence is how I view it.

What I find funny is the notion that god is in the sky or above. It is typical that primitives thought this way since the sky was something unexplored and "Heavenly". But the Sky Daddy notion is becoming very misleading to the nature of a real god. Even the Greek despite their civilized and abundantly intellectual society believed the Olympians dwelled on top of a mountain or the heavens.

The evidence and lack of evidence for god is creation and existence. If a person does not believe in god then they do not believe in perfection yet such a word exist. There is no absolute proof in a god but there is no proof that there is not. The personal belief in god is a matter of interpretation itself but in this situation the text at hand is the universe. Nobody knows the cause and the creator of the cause that created the universe so it is left to personal assumption at most.