• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you get to your current beliefs/practices?

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
I'd consider myself in the exploring-lite stage right now. I actually joined RF because of this DIR. (I made my one and only post in here exactly a year ago! :eek: ) I've appreciated listening to @Sees talking about wyrd and orlog, and @Nietzsche rambling in chat about his crackpot interpretation of Ragnarok, and @Thorbjorn's changing post signatures. It's been about a year and a half since I started reading about heathenry and the essence of it is still kicking around in my head, although my actual knowledge and experience are extremely limited. My intuition says this is the path in front of me, as unfamiliar as it still is. So... how did you get here? Which resources, experiences and/or people helped you along the way?

Sees

Dragonslayer
I started out with the old Thorsson and Gundarsson books of the 80's and 90's, then keeping contact with early internet groups and visiting any of the websites I could find. Spent a lot of time as a kid in libraries and bookstores gobbling up anything related to religion and philosophy...eventually just switching that focus heavily to Euro traditions/cultures.

For the longest I considered myself the equivalent of a Philosophical Taoist - so basically a Philosophical Ásatrúar lol It was a very long, multi-year transition to go from skeptical, atheism-leaning agnostic to very solid "panendeistic-polytheist." The core principles, values, etc. that are representative of indigenous Germanic traditions/culture have always resonated with me at all times when studying psychology, sociology, reflecting on my experiences and lives of those around me - teaching me as much or more than books specifically directed at Ásatrú/Heathenry. Things like paying more attention to the little details of culture as a German-American surrounded by tons of "old-school" German-Americans.

When I ponder what inspires me most in books, movies, folk tales, behavior of others, etc. it is all so very Heathen and is everywhere. I think it does take a lot of reading and talking about it to really see it though - hides in plain sight until then.

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
When I ponder what inspires me most in books, movies, folk tales, behavior of others, etc. it is all so very Heathen and is everywhere. I think it does take a lot of reading and talking about it to really see it though - hides in plain sight until then.

Well said. This is my experience as well. My favourite books to read are the ones that leave me feeling "outside" myself, part of something bigger, immersed in something hard to describe. As stated earlier, still very early in this journey, but I've been getting a very similar feeling reading and thinking about Asatru that I do when reading The Silmarillion, for example. A strangely lyrical, poetic, wild, natural kind of feeling.

Regarding your earlier paragraphs, I understand the connection to your German roots despite living in North America. I always felt that way about mine as well; it's strongest around Easter, when we make pysanky (Slavic pagan origins), although I grew up learning the Christian symbolism that was meant to replace the original meanings behind the designs.

Will have to see if the authors you mentioned are in the public library. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So... how did you get here? Which resources, experiences and/or people helped you along the way?

How I got here... I always knew a little something about Norse mythology, but admittedly I used to get some of the gods confused. I wasn't quite sure who Freyr is, and I tended to conflate Freyja and Frigga. Ironically, there are many writers who consider the two goddesses one and the same. I always knew about Thor, especially the stories of Thrymskviða (the bridal dress story) and Utgarð-loki. I always thought Thrymskviða is hilarious.

I'm one of those people who was probably influenced by Marvel's Thor movie, or rather, it re-ignited my interest. I was practicing Hinduism at the time but growing away from it. Something prodded me to get a resin statue of Thor. When I got it I didn't know quite what to do with it or where to put it. I kept moving it around, tried to enshrine it in my Hindu shrine, but that was a no-go. So again Thor was on the move. At the time @Sees and I were PMing and/or e-mailing about Heathenry. He said something like "dude, you have to make a shrine for it". One night it just hit me to dismantle my Hindu shrine, and set up a shrine to Thor along with the other Æsir and Vanir.

So I started reading more and making offerings and doing rituals. I have to be perfectly honest and say that due to some of that reading of internet sites, primarily that cesspool of the internet, reddit, and some Facebook pages and groups, I almost abandoned Heathenry. I am so sick of the "you're doing it wrong" and "the arch-Heathens did this or that" and "learn the Heathen worldview" "and the gods don't listen to you, only to your tribe" all over the interwebz. Find a few of the better known books, and stick with that. Take little advice from people on the internet (except me, of course :p). But I realized that I don't know any of those people, and someone, probably the Big Guy, draws me back and dispels my disillusionment.

Here's a good site with a good list of book, pretty much the basics: Norse Mythology for Smart People.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Things like paying more attention to the little details of culture as a German-American surrounded by tons of "old-school" German-Americans.

Yep. I don't know just when your ancestors came "off the boat" (for me it was my grandparents), but don't you find that the closer a generation is to the "old country" and "old ways", whether it's Germany, Italy, Greece, Sweden, the more of a Heathen (Gods, I'll hate myself for using this word)... "worldview" there is? I think so. Even the 3rd generation in my family, the nieces and nephews are as Italian and Sicilian as it gets. My niece even chastised her 15 year old son for saying "ricotta" instead of our dialectal "ree-goat". :D

Last edited:

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
Thanks! Thrymskviða is one of my favourite stories. :D What's your opinion on r/asatru, and are you /u/thorrbjorn? (you don't have to answer the second one!)

Yep, I've run across that attitude as well. The website you linked is a good one, it's definitely helping me get a better feel for what is worth reading online and what is probably bull****. Lots of that on Facebook. Successfully avoiding most of it so far.

What does/did it feel like when you were being drawn back to heathenry? Was it linked to spiritual experiences, reading something that clicked, passing out stone drunk and waking up with a vegvisir tattooed on your leg...?

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
I used to adhere to a pagan, Norse, Hindu narrative.
With a strong leaning to Rastafari, philosophy, astrophysics, metaphysics and psychology traditions.

As time wore on I began to realize than most people turn off emotions
that they feel are negative or unpleasant.

In Jungian tradition I began to delve into these shadow emotions,
trying to get to the root of them, rather than avoid them.

Then
ecstasy, rapture, epiphany

astral travelling to visit God

and a few visits directly from
Jesus and John the Baptist.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What's your opinion on r/asatru

What does a baby do on a bottle? ;)

Seriously, you can find some good info there. You have to wade, slog and hack your way through the snark and snottiness. Gods, I need a shower now!

,and are you /u/thorrbjorn?

Shut your mouth!!! :eek:

No, I'm /u/Thorsmadr. ;) Thorbjorn (one r in Thor) was taken. :rolleyes:

Yep, I've run across that attitude as well. The website you linked is a good one, it's definitely helping me get a better feel for what is worth reading online and what is probably bull****. Lots of that on Facebook. Successfully avoiding most of it so far.

Excellent. :)

What does/did it feel like when you were being drawn back to heathenry? Was it linked to spiritual experiences, reading something that clicked, passing out stone drunk and waking up with a vegvisir tattooed on your leg...?

Nothing quite that dramatic (or traumatic), it just felt like it was the right thing to do. When we'd watch the Thor movie (husband and I... I play for that team) I'd start comparing and contrasting the story and characters for him. What I wasn't sure of I'd pull up Wikipedia or another site. It was a way for me to keep learning. For example, I kept looking for "Odinsleep". Not surprisingly, I never found it. :D

I came to like the simplicity of Heathenry (it really is simple) or since I'm an Icelandophile, Ásatrú. I love Hinduism for its richness, and I still revere the gods, but to practice or call myself a Hindu, I felt required adherence to too many rules, regulations and things that didn't sit well with me. However, I haven't shaken, some of the theology, nor do I think it's necessary... the panendeism, "stuff monism", oneness of creation, for example.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Yep. I don't know just when your ancestors came "off the boat" (foe me it was my grandparents), but don't you find that the closer a generation is to the "old country" and "old ways", whether it's Germany, Italy, Greece, Sweden, the more of a Heathen (Gods, I'll hate myself for using this word)... "worldview" there is? I think so. Even the 3rd generation in my family, the nieces and nephews are as Italian and Sicilian as it gets. My niece even chastised her 15 year old son for saying "ricotta" instead of our dialectal "ree-goat". :D

I agree. For me most are after 1850...my one grandmother is 91 and wasn't born here. These new world countries just tend to cause people to forget about or cast off culture - which is religion itself for us, much more than a handful of supernatural beliefs. There is a battle of sorts between the sameness, neutrality, impartiality that benefits consumerism and the old ways that are time-tested and sing to the deepest parts of us experiencing this life.

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
Yep. I don't know just when your ancestors came "off the boat" (for me it was my grandparents), but don't you find that the closer a generation is to the "old country" and "old ways", whether it's Germany, Italy, Greece, Sweden, the more of a Heathen (Gods, I'll hate myself for using this word)... "worldview" there is? I think so. Even the 3rd generation in my family, the nieces and nephews are as Italian and Sicilian as it gets. My niece even chastised her 15 year old son for saying "ricotta" instead of our dialectal "ree-goat". :D

Sounds about right, my family doesn't get hung up over language differences but I've seen it in my friends' families to varying degrees. There's definitely an "old" feel in some parts of my family, not so much in others. My dad is the only one in his family born outside of Scotland; his parents came to Canada after the war. I feel a kinship with the country and followed the 2014 referendum very closely, although that personal connection does not extend to the Celtic belief systems. My mother's family has been in Canada for a few generations, but they have carried down some traditions from Europe that I connect strongly with, such as making pysanky, paska, pirogis, and borscht (thus fueling my grudge against beets :p ).

No, I'm /u/Thorsmadr. ;) Thorbjorn (one r in Thor) was taken. :rolleyes:

That was my next guess; I've been reading your posts since 2014! :eek:

Nothing quite that dramatic (or traumatic), it just felt like it was the right thing to do. When we'd watch the Thor movie (husband and I... I play for that team) I'd start comparing and contrasting the story and characters for him. What I wasn't sure of I'd pull up Wikipedia or another site. It was a way for me to keep learning. For example, I kept looking for "Odinsleep". Not surprisingly, I never found it. :D

Oh man... I'm so glad I didn't know any better when I watched that movie for the first time. Good show, terrible use of artistic license. And I still can't unsee Tom Hiddleston as Loki.

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
I used to adhere to a pagan, Norse, Hindu narrative.
With a strong leaning to Rastafari, philosophy, astrophysics, metaphysics and psychology traditions.

As time wore on I began to realize than most people turn off emotions
that they feel are negative or unpleasant.

In Jungian tradition I began to delve into these shadow emotions,
trying to get to the root of them, rather than avoid them.

Then
ecstasy, rapture, epiphany

astral travelling to visit God

and a few visits directly from
Jesus and John the Baptist.

Interesting, it seems like you've had an eclectic journey. What drew you to the pagan/Norse/Hindu fusion in the first place?

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
Interesting, it seems like you've had an eclectic journey. What drew you to the pagan/Norse/Hindu fusion in the first place?

A really bad interpretation of Christianity pushed me to seek alternatives.

If you had told me 30 years ago that now I would consider myself Christian,
I would at first not believe you,
then I would say that it could only happen if Christ spoke to me directly himself.

The pagan/Hindu/Norse ideology was essentially aesthetic.
Beautiful narratives, music, poetry and a fine attention to artistic detail.

All features lacking in modern Christianity,
which has in many ways lost its spirituality.

Its like that look Jesus gave me, a deep sadness
as to what has been done in his name.
Asking me to help him restore his religion to its greater glory.

Kirran

Premium Member
Asatru really interests me. I wonder, has anybody been drawn to Asatru specifically as a result of experiences of the Gods?

If I may tack a question on, Helv :)

Deidre

Grew up Catholic, left Christianity altogether a few years ago, and eventually identified as an atheist. I then explored Buddhism, Islam and Deism...and eventually resigned myself to accepting an atheistic identity, so to speak. Last year, I came back to Christianity...of what I believe was a drawing back by the Holy Spirit. Instantly, I felt renewed, and restored...and my faith now as a Christian, is different than when I was a Christian before. All that I learned the years that I wasn't practicing Christianity, taught me a newfound appreciation for atheism, and other faiths. I'm grateful for the journey, even though at that time, it felt rough. :oops:

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
Grew up Catholic, left Christianity altogether a few years ago, and eventually identified as an atheist. I then explored Buddhism, Islam and Deism...and eventually resigned myself to accepting an atheistic identity, so to speak. Last year, I came back to Christianity...of what I believe was a drawing back by the Holy Spirit. Instantly, I felt renewed, and restored...and my faith now as a Christian, is different than when I was a Christian before. All that I learned the years that I wasn't practicing Christianity, taught me a newfound appreciation for atheism, and other faiths. I'm grateful for the journey, even though at that time, it felt rough. :oops:

This question was directed towards former and current heathens since we are in the Ásatrú DIR, but thank you for your response. I was surprised when you turned back to Christianity, but you seem to have grown a lot from your experiences and I'm glad it fits for you. :)

Deidre

This question was directed towards former and current heathens since we are in the Ásatrú DIR, but thank you for your response. I was surprised when you turned back to Christianity, but you seem to have grown a lot from your experiences and I'm glad it fits for you. :)
Oops, my apologies. I usually open links when seeing 'new topics' off to the side, and don't bother to check the forum i'm in. lol
Sorry! :blush:

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
What drew me to Rastafari was its combination of deep religious roots and Afrocentricity. Rastafari tells the story of Diasporic Black people.

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
I agree. For me most are after 1850...my one grandmother is 91 and wasn't born here. These new world countries just tend to cause people to forget about or cast off culture - which is religion itself for us, much more than a handful of supernatural beliefs. There is a battle of sorts between the sameness, neutrality, impartiality that benefits consumerism and the old ways that are time-tested and sing to the deepest parts of us experiencing this life.

Sometimes it goes the other way, someone who grows up here can feel disconnected from their roots and try that much harder to make the connection, because they can feel it missing. Not everyone does, but some do. Do you think that demographic has something to do with the rise of Asatru in North America?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Sometimes it goes the other way, someone who grows up here can feel disconnected from their roots and try that much harder to make the connection, because they can feel it missing. Not everyone does, but some do. Do you think that demographic has something to do with the rise of Asatru in North America?

I think so.

Everybody has an urge to belong, to one degree or another...save for those who are true, hard core outcasts. Many that feel cast out and disconnected it isn't for want or by preference - it's a by-product of a high-speed society that tends to homogenize. Feel out of sorts deep down? Stare at pixels for entertainment, pop pills, etc. but to discover, nourish, celebrate your roots and heritage is too taboo to consider. I think this is primarly what caused the boom of interest in religions and philosophy considered Eastern, exotic, experiential, etc. during the industrial age.

For me personally, when I first learned of traditions other than Christianity I had wondered if once upon a time there was something like Native American spirituality/religion for me and my ancestry. Something very authentic and holistic that is as much who I am and what I do as it is how I answer some religious questions concerning belief. I didn't revisit the idea until years later. There are some hurdles to leap based heavily on how much white-guilt is perpetuated in school systems and society...strong interest, any level of pride, etc. for Germanic heritage especially can be quite a huge leap. Good, healthy, deep spiritual-thinking is pushed as only coming by way of import.

People who really have a strong urge, strong enough that they can bypass those hurdles, are definitely showing strong interest in reigniting native Euro traditions when they are rediscovered. Nothing can truly replace cultural traditions when it comes to grounding and nourishing people, IMO.