• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Asatruar

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
view white supremacists? I know that not all Asatruar are supremicists by any means but I have often wondered how your faith deals with that group of folk? What relationship is there between Asatru and Odinism?

I took comparative religions at varsity and I find there is so much I don't know and that I want to understand.

Kiwimac

Zephyr

Moved on
kiwimac said:
view white supremacists?
Idiots, or if you are referring to the Asatruar white supremacists, then idiots who try to use religion to push politics much like Christian Identity does with Christianity.
I know that not all Asatruar are supremicists by any means but I have often wondered how your faith deals with that group of folk?
Well the folks I know generally just keep seperate. We just keep them away.
What relationship is there between Asatru and Odinism?
Well, for some people they are synonyms. Odinism doesn't mean that you are a white nationalist heathen at all. I could be called an Odinist. It's just another term for Asatruar in most cases. Of course, this shouldn't be confused with WOTANism, which is some crappy racist faith some dude made up.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Thats very interesting Zephyr. I had never heard of Wotanism. I'll have to look into it. Though aren't Wotan and Odin synonymous?

Kiwimac

Zephyr

Moved on
kiwimac said:
Thats very interesting Zephyr. I had never heard of Wotanism. I'll have to look into it. Though aren't Wotan and Odin synonymous?

Kiwimac
Wotan is indeed the german name for Odin. Some Nazi dude decided to change it into some acronym like "will of the aryan nation" or something and found some weird cult.

Tyr

Proud viking :D:D
As with zephyr and i think most will agree white supremesists and idiots who have fouled our religion i have been called skin head nazi racist for the thors hammer tattoo on my arm

Zephyr

Moved on
As with zephyr and i think most will agree white supremesists and idiots who have fouled our religion i have been called skin head nazi racist for the thors hammer tattoo on my arm
Another Heathen on RF!? Hurray! I was getting sick and tired of being the only one.

Zephyr

Moved on
HAHA thought there would be more of us
There used to be. There was this member Darkdale who used to be here (still posts on some heathen forums), who if it weren't for him I'd have never heard of Asatru.

We get the odd heathen here and there, but they rarely stick around. They also more often then not just post in the neopagan section since it gets more traffic.

Ciarin

Pass the mead!
view white supremacists? I know that not all Asatruar are supremicists by any means but I have often wondered how your faith deals with that group of folk? What relationship is there between Asatru and Odinism?

I took comparative religions at varsity and I find there is so much I don't know and that I want to understand.

Kiwimac

I'm not asatru, but I view White Nationalists/Supremacists as misguided folk who take pride of one's heritage too far. I feel sorry for a lot of them. I used to talk with them, and meet with them, to try to understand how they can have such ideas. I dislike that they are the most vocal and visible of heathenism in general, mostly due to the media's wanton disregard for reality; sensationalism sells(learned from the likes of Jerry Springer).

Hopefully the rest of us can be examples of regular good heathen folk, in order to dispel the ideas that we are white supremacist.

Zephyr

Moved on
I'm not sure I "get" white supremacy/nationalists or whatever. I ain't white, I'm Fries! I'm no opponent to Nationalism, but "white" is a damn vague term that I'm not sure I fully understand.

Reiðrœska

Voice deeper than Thor's
There used to be. There was this member Darkdale who used to be here (still posts on some heathen forums), who if it weren't for him I'd have never heard of Asatru.

We get the odd heathen here and there, but they rarely stick around. They also more often then not just post in the neopagan section since it gets more traffic.

I may be a LHP magick-***, but I'm interested in honouring my ancestors so consider me an Asatruar! I'm English, by the way (but obviously of Norse descent) so nobody try talking to me in Swedish because of my username (which is ancient Norse anyway, not any modern language).

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
White supremacists are idiots. They ruin Heathenism for everyone else. People who display Heathen symbols get called racists.

White pride, not power. People need to learn that. There is nothing wrong with being white, but it also doesn't make us supreme.

Queenspeak

I imagine that Christians view the KKK and their (perverted) use of Christian symbols such as the cross in much the same way that we Heathens view white supremacists. It is unfortunate that some of our symbols have been co-opted by these people.

Because white supremacists have loud voices that garner widespread attention and some of them call themselves Heathen, the way the world views our religion is tainted. Many Heathen organizations have zero-tolerance policies to racism.

Our religion has strong cultural and ancestral elements. We take pride in the struggles of our people, but this in no way dismisses the struggles of others or the pride of others in their own lineage. No one is inferior to another based on race.

vaguelyhumanoid

I feel absolutely nauseous and enraged, personally. White nationalists are not heathens - they are our bitter enemies. I would argue that the very concept of "whiteness" (not to be confused with specific ethnicities or cultures) is anathema to the heathen mindset.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I feel absolutely nauseous and enraged, personally. White nationalists are not heathens - they are our bitter enemies. I would argue that the very concept of "whiteness" (not to be confused with specific ethnicities or cultures) is anathema to the heathen mindset.

Pretty interesting argument to be made. Could you expand on it?

vaguelyhumanoid

Alright - I was definitely expecting to elaborate. In the medieval era, there was no concept of a "white race". Divisions between peoples were based on culture, religion and political loyalty. The Vikings were among the most cosmopolitan of their time, raiding and trading in pagan, Christian and Muslim lands alike. They loved to adapt and incorporate elements of the cultures they found in their travels and conquests - which unfortunately left them susceptible to Christian missionaries. These missionaries gained the peoples' trust and then later betrayed their trust, violently suppressing native spiritual practices. It's very similar to what happened in the Americas - in fact, it strikes me as the beginning of the colonial mentality. Eventually, all of Europe was subjugated into an overarching Christian culture, used as a weapon against infidels in the Crusades. When colonialism began, Christian Europeans started dealing on a regular basis with people of vastly different cultural backgrounds and physical features, often in ways involving much bloodshed and moral condemnation. The concept of "race" emerged in this context, as a justification for colonialism. "White" people were branded superior, and as such the world needed to be enlightened by "white culture". This was accomplished by enslaving, massacring and culturally suppressing millions of polytheistic and animistic people worldwide, with their "savage" religions used as evidence of their racial inferiority.

Heathenry, to me, is a way that Europeans and settler-descended folks can reconnect with an indigenous and land-rooted worldview without having to intrude on the closed native traditions of other peoples. The whole concept of racial divisions is rooted in the colonial mentality, and not part of a pre-Christian ancestral worldview. I strongly support the preservation of folk customs and endangered languages, and I respect people being proud of being Norwegian, Irish, Russian etc. and wanting to explore the culture of their ancestors. However, that's ethnicity, not race. That broader category has a far uglier legacy.