• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you beat the heat?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I love hot weather. My friends think I'm crazy but when everybody else is hiding in a nice air conditioned building, I'll be out riding my bike in the hottest part of the day.

Not sure why I like it so much, other than that a day in the '90s is going to offer you a lot of contrast.

For instance: I'll get on my bike in about an hour and a half or 2 hours when the temperature supposed to be 92°, ride down into the shopping center grab some groceries, and then ride another two 2 miles to the University where I'll take a cold shower and then either go into the nice air conditioned library for a while or park myself in the shade at one of the solar power station/picnic tables outside.

Unless I change my mind and decide to ride to this nice secluded little park in the foothills, sit under one of the faucets for a while, and then have lunch with the Blue Jay who hangs out there sometimes.

Like I say it's all about the contrast: To go from overheated and drenched in sweat to being soaking wet from cold water and drying off in a nice cool breeze in the shade.

I think part of the attraction for me is nostalgia: back in my hitchhiking days pretty much every day was like this for me in the summer time.

Also, I usually had this nasty habit of winding up someplace like Boulder Colorado in the winter and Death Valley in the summer. :p I used to tell people, "I'm not stupid, I'm just always 6 months behind schedule".

So what do you do when the thermometer is all in red?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I sweat usually. Sometimes I'll sit in the shade and have a cold drink. Or I'll go inside where there's air conditioning.

In times when my A/C conks out (sometimes for days at a time), it can a bit uncomfortable to try to sleep. Electric fans are helpful.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Why isn't the creek a kid suitable body of water?
If we're in a drought, it is.

Right now, we're actually back to normal, as far as moisture goes. Its generally too deep, and the current is too strong for little guys like Yudhi(he's quite small for his age). Ares would be okay for the depth, but he doesn't listen for beans, and doesn't always exercise enough caution for me to feel comfortable taking him as it is now.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I sweat usually. Sometimes I'll sit in the shade and have a cold drink. Or I'll go inside where there's air conditioning.

In times when my A/C conks out (sometimes for days at a time), it can a bit uncomfortable to try to sleep. Electric fans are helpful.
I know summers are brutal where you are. As much as I love the heat I don't think I could live there.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I know summers are brutal where you are. As much as I love the heat I don't think I could live there.

1725651742599.png

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
3 cold showers a day, eat salads, drink iced water. Do what needs to be done early morning before the sun hits. Then its relax and let the heat do it's worst, usually on the veranda or in the courtyard but when we top 40c (104f) i head for the lounge and the air conditioning.
Sleep naked with no bedcovers and a fan blowing in the room.
Otherwise it's just another day

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If we're in a drought, it is.

Right now, we're actually back to normal, as far as moisture goes. Its generally too deep, and the current is too strong for little guys like Yudhi(he's quite small for his age). Ares would be okay for the depth, but he doesn't listen for beans, and doesn't always exercise enough caution for me to feel comfortable taking him as it is now.
That's too bad. Are there Public swimming pools close by?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well, I used to live in Texas where a 92 degree day is a cold spell from May till at least September. Now I live in SW Ohio and though it's supposed to be around 90 this afternoon, it will cool off to a high in the 60s tomorrow with a low tomorrow night in the upper 30s. I love it.

I often wondered when I lived in Texas, how that place was settled before AC.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I stick to the cover of night.

If I have to be out and about during the daylight hours, I stick to the shadows as much as possible.

Though, as I get older, I have noticed the heat does not effect me as easily as it did in my younger youthful years.