• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you pray in your religion?

jacquie4000

It seems there are so many different beliefs when it comes to prayer, what are your thoughts?

How do you pray?
How do you start and end your prayer?
Are their specific steps to your prayer you feel must be done in order for your God or God's to hear your prayer?

Example ( Muslims perform Wudhu before they pray.)
( Many Christians pray to the Father but end their prayer in the name of
Jesus Amen)

So how do you pray in your specific religion or belief system?

Popeyesays

There are different kinds of prayer in my faith. To roughly enumerate them:

1) Obligatory prayer

2) Intercessory Prayer

3) Ritual prayer (funerals, and marriages)

The circumstances for each are different.

One of the three forms of Obligatory Prayer is:
"SHORT OBLIGATORY PRAYER
TO BE RECITED ONCE IN TWENTY-FOUR HOURS, AT NOON
I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth. There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting."
(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. v)

Obligatory prayer is observed in private, never in public.

Intercessory prayer is performed at need and may be done in prayer meetings, but never as congregational prayer:

"AID AND ASSISTANCE
O Thou Whose face is the object of my adoration, Whose beauty is my sanctuary, Whose habitation is my goal, Whose praise is my hope, Whose providence is my companion, Whose love is the cause of my being, Whose mention is my solace, Whose nearness is my desire, Whose presence is my dearest wish and highest aspiration, I entreat Thee not to withhold from me the things Thou didst ordain for the chosen ones among Thy servants. Supply me, then, with the good of this world and of the next.
Thou, truly, art the King of all men. There is no God but Thee, the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Generous."
- Bahá'u'lláh
(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 16)

A ritual prayer is for special occasions, like burial, marriage or pilgrimage. The only "congregational prayer" in the faith is for the graveside.

"FOR THE DEPARTED
(The Prayer for the Dead is to be used for Bahá'ís over the age of fifteen. "It is the only Bahá'í obligatory prayer which is to be recited in congregation; it is to be recited by one believer while all present stand. There is no requirement to face the Qiblih when reciting this prayers." - A Synopsis and Codification of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas)
O my God! This is Thy servant and the son of Thy servant who hath believed in Thee and in Thy signs, and set his face towards Thee, wholly detached from all except Thee. Thou art, verily, of those who show mercy the most merciful.
Deal with him, O Thou Who forgivest the sins of men and concealest their faults, as beseemeth the heaven of Thy bounty and the ocean of Thy grace. Grant him admission within the precincts of Thy transcendent mercy that was before the 40 foundation of earth and heaven. There is no God but Thee, the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Generous.
Let him, then, repeat six times the greeting "Allah-u-Abha," and then repeat nineteen times each of the following verses:
We all, verily, worship God.
We all, verily, bow down before God.
We all, verily, are devoted unto God.
We all, verily, give praise unto God.
We all, verily, yield thanks unto God.
We all, verily, are patient in God.
(If the dead be a woman, let him say: This is Thy handmaiden and the daughter of Thy handmaiden, etc. ...)
- Bahá'u'lláh
(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 40)

You will note that prayers begin with an invocation and end with an exortation, but there are no "key words" for either.

Regards,
Scott

ayani

jacquie4000 said:
How do you pray?

i usually pray first thing in the morning, after i get dressed. this usually involves some silent sitting for a bit, then reflection on the Verse, and prayers to God in my own words. i try to do the same in the evening, before winding down for the day. in my own practice i don't pray with others, but i will go to Jumma prayers with my Muslim friends and to church with my Christian friends.

usually i sit on the ground or the floor, sometimes with my hands clasped on my forehead- it helps me to focus on God and block out the world a bit. i usually end by standing and bowing or prostrating to end the prayer.

Are their specific steps to your prayer you feel must be done in order for your God or God's to hear your prayer?

*shakes head* but there are certain things that are helpful to me, such as sitting quietly before beginning, holding out the hands, or speaking quietly out loud. but i am sure that God hears all of us if we are sincere, no matter what actions or gestures we might do.

Popeyesays

Popeyesays,
Why is the prayer for the departed for those over the age of fifteen? Just curious.

The age of fifteen is the age of spiritual maturity. There are other considerations for children. Roughly children are considered to be under the special protection of God, so funeral requirements are more for the grieving than the deceased.

Other prayers are said for the departed as part of a graveside service, or a memorial away from the graveside. If one is not of spiritual maturity, the well-being of the deceased is guaranteed in a sense.

Regards,
Scott

jacquie4000

ayani,

i usually pray first thing in the morning, after i get dressed. this usually involves some silent sitting for a bit, then reflection on the Verse, and prayers to God in my own words. i try to do the same in the evening, before winding down for the day. in my own practice i don't pray with others, but i will go to Jumma prayers with my Muslim friends and to church with my Christian friends.

I am sure your Muslim friends have told you but if you are celebrating Ramadan this year the prayers are quite long if you are not used to it.

jacquie4000

The age of fifteen is the age of spiritual maturity. There are other considerations for children. Roughly children are considered to be under the special protection of God, so funeral requirements are more for the grieving than the deceased.

Other prayers are said for the departed as part of a graveside service, or a memorial away from the graveside. If one is not of spiritual maturity, the well-being of the deceased is guaranteed in a sense.

Regards,
Scott

I thought that was probably the case. Do you celebrate the fifteenth birthday in any special way since this is when they are considered spritually mature?

Booko

Deviled Hen
I thought that was probably the case. Do you celebrate the fifteenth birthday in any special way since this is when they are considered spritually mature?

There is no particular custom regarding this, at least not in this country.

With our kids we asked them what they wanted to do. Our son signed his declaration card, making him "official" several days after his birthday (on the day of the Declaration of the Bab, actually) and being a very quiet person wanted to keep the fuss to a minimum. We did have a family celebration by going to the local fondue restaurant, though. Any excuse for fondue. :D

Our daughter probably would've liked having more of a party, but at the time she was so stressed out between school and her dance schedule she decided she'd be quite happy with going to the fondue restaurant as well.

Bishka

Veteran Member
In the LDS faith we pray to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ as per instruction in the Bible and Book of Mormon (3 Nephi 18:9). Other then that, any prayer can be in anyway. Our rituals have set prayers to them, but in personal and other prayers, they open in the name of the Father and close in the name of the Son.

With ritual prayers our sacrament, baptism, marriage, etc. all have very specific prayers for them. The same sacrament prayer is repeated week after week in Church on Sunday.

jacquie4000

In the LDS faith we pray to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ as per instruction in the Bible and Book of Mormon (3 Nephi 18:9). Other then that, any prayer can be in anyway. Our rituals have set prayers to them, but in personal and other prayers, they open in the name of the Father and close in the name of the Son.

With ritual prayers our sacrament, baptism, marriage, etc. all have very specific prayers for them. The same sacrament prayer is repeated week after week in Church on Sunday.

What is your sacrament prayer if you don't mind me asking?

Popeyesays

Thanks I was wondering that. Is your fasting period celebrated at a different time?

We have our own calendar--the Badi Calendar. Our month of fasting is the last month of the year. It corresponds to march 2nd- to the 21st each year.

The Badi calendar has ninettent months, each of nineteen days and an intercalary period each year of four or five days, depending on whether or not the year is a leap year.

Regards,
Scott

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
It seems there are so many different beliefs when it comes to prayer, what are your thoughts?
I believe that the Light doesn't require meaningless words in order to illuminate me.

How do you pray?
When I use my mind and my heart - during meditation or just by taking a look outside and allowing the beauty to enter.
As my heart leads me, so my thoughts occur.
None at all. :)

I listen to my heart. :) That's all the "prayer" or attention the Light requires.

Aqualung

Tasty
What is your sacrament prayer if you don't mind me asking?

For the bread:

O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

For the water:

O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

These are found in D&C 20, 77 and 79.

If the person praying says it wrong they have to start over. It's pretty hard core.

jacquie4000

For the bread:

O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

For the water:

O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

These are found in D&C 20, 77 and 79.

If the person praying says it wrong they have to start over. It's pretty hard core.

So it is similar to communion? But we use juice not water. And the wording is somewhat different.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

How do you pray?

Example ( Muslims perform Wudhu before they pray.)
( Many Christians pray to the Father but end their prayer in the name of
Jesus Amen)

As an oddball, don't expect me to be consistent..........:p

I sometimes pray while I am out walking; I pray during meditation, I pray in the traditional "on knees, hand together" Christian classic way.

I do use the Lord's prayer, and a couple of other standard ones that I have compiled from prayers I have found elsewhere - but the most "enjoyable" prayers, I find, are the ones when I will be "diverted" from continuing, because I feel I am being asked to consider what I have said (usually when I have asked a question, and thought my own thoughts...........I sometimes have the feeling that someone (maybe God) is saying - "keep thinking on that line".........

No preparation, no set pattern; when I am alone and "get the urge".

jacquie4000

As an oddball, don't expect me to be consistent..........:p

I sometimes pray while I am out walking; I pray during meditation, I pray in the traditional "on knees, hand together" Christian classic way.

I do use the Lord's prayer, and a couple of other standard ones that I have compiled from prayers I have found elsewhere - but the most "enjoyable" prayers, I find, are the ones when I will be "diverted" from continuing, because I feel I am being asked to consider what I have said (usually when I have asked a question, and thought my own thoughts...........I sometimes have the feeling that someone (maybe God) is saying - "keep thinking on that line".........

No preparation, no set pattern; when I am alone and "get the urge".

I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to be consistent:p It is just nice to view how different we all are and appreciate just that.:yes: