• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you think other RFer's sound?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I never realized this until Yugo joined, but I have imagined your accents for so long.

When I read English, I can hear it in my head the same as it is said in American movies. I kind of read your posts with a different voice for each worldview, I think. The Conservative people I hear in my mind with a southern accent - and so on.

What reminded me is this post in Yugo's welcome thread:

Yugo said:
Oh, I know. I have a half breed friend (Serb/Muslim) from Lukavac, but insists on saying he is from Tuzla! Since then he gets to glorify over the fact that Tuzla is the only municipality that did not vote for a nationalist party during the war, high mixed marriages, Churches and Mosques standing side by side etc..etc..

No matter how hard I try, I can't hear that bolded part in any accent other than Bosnian. lol It's so perfect.

"Sinsden egets to glorri-fy ohvur defectdat" lol

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Quoth The Raven said:
Well, I know how 3 of them actually do sound, but other than that, I don't tend to allot accents to anyone.

You say that you're implying I'm somehow not normal. :D

RevOxley_501

Djamila said:
I kind of imagine you as Greek, I guess. But Greek like in movies, not the real thing. :)

wow

well its not very correct...change it to southern american lol...i cant break that southern drawl no matter how hard i try.:(

Booko

Deviled Hen
RevOxley_501 said:
well its not very correct...change it to southern american lol...i cant break that southern drawl no matter how hard i try.:(

Not just Southern American, since even just in Georgia there are variations on accent.

I imagine you're is fairly like the accents I hear in Macon...am I close?

Very north Georgian accents are more like Tennesee or W. Virginia, depending on where you are.

Being from the northern Midwest, I do demented things like refer to a group of women as "you guys" though I have largely trained myself to avoid that.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
In Trinidad, we speak English, but like average Caribbean people, we have a dialect, which is really like broken english. When our girls go up for the Miss Universe and Miss World competitions, just listen to how they sound. Of course, for the competition, they can't speak broken english, but you can still hear the accent. It's hard to describe it otherwise. BTW, we are a twin island Republic, so they will be entered as Trinidad & Tobago.

I have a really funeeee email about "Trini talk" compared to someone from the U.S. Here it goes...

AMERICAN - TRINI.

USA : Here kitty kitty .. get down from the roof.
TRINI : Ey yuh ole dutty stinkin cyat , come off de blasted gyalvanise before ah drop 2 stone in yuh rass !!

USA : Aren't those pants a bit short?
TRINI : Yuh expekin flood or wa?

USA : Sir , please don't throw my luggage like that.
TRINI : Buh wah trouble is dis, bwoy stop flingin rong ma grip so .

USA : I love you girl.
TRINI : Ah reel check fuh yah , yuh kno.

USA : Oh the poor little boy is handicapped.
TRINI : Look at de lil invalid.

USA : I have a stomach ache.
TRINI : Oh god .. meh belly gripein meh .

USA : He has no manners.
TRINI : He doh ha no broughtupcy.

USA : WOW ! he has such a bad body odor.
TRINI : Dutty jim! Yuh doesn't bade ? oh **** man ....yuh smelllin rell stink !!

USA : Justin is suffering from attention deficit disorder.
TRINI : Da chile too dam harden .

USA : He has a touch of dyslexia.
TRINI : He duncee fuh so .

USA : I need a bottle of peptobismol .. my stomach hurts..
TRINI : Ah need a purge bad .. ah cork up ..

USA : It's been a long tie since i've seen you girl .
TRINI : A-A !! You still alive gyal ?

USA : Oh my goodness ! we have lost electricity.
TRINI : Oh gosh !! de current cut off!

USA : This meal is not to bad.
TRINI : Wha doh kill does fatten and wah doh fatten does purge..

USA : Oh my , your feet are so ashy .
TRINI : Ay how uh foot and dem look like yuh was kickin floor so ..Yuh couldn't rub a lil coconut oil on yuh foot

RevOxley_501

Booko said:
Not just Southern American, since even just in Georgia there are variations on accent.

I imagine you're is fairly like the accents I hear in Macon...am I close?

Very north Georgian accents are more like Tennesee or W. Virginia, depending on where you are.

Being from the northern Midwest, I do demented things like refer to a group of women as "you guys" though I have largely trained myself to avoid that.

thats not far, i try to take some of the drawl off, but it is VERY hard to do, i sound better than most from around here, but im still embarrassed to talk to people on the phone that are far away.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
New Zealanders tend to sound a little like Australians but we have shorter vowels than them (UH-UH, I SAID VOWELS!)

kiwimac

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hema said:
In Trinidad, we speak English, but like average Caribbean people, we have a dialect, which is really like broken english. When our girls go up for the Miss Universe and Miss World competitions, just listen to how they sound. Of course, for the competition, they can't speak broken english, but you can still hear the accent. It's hard to describe it otherwise. BTW, we are a twin island Republic, so they will be entered as Trinidad & Tobago.

I have a really funeeee email about "Trini talk" compared to someone from the U.S. Here it goes...
Funny? That was WAY, WAY, WAY beyond funny! :biglaugh:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I am curious as to what form of accent you think I have.

This thread does bring to mind the novel Interview With a Vampire, the scene where Daniel picks up on Louis faint accent, and Louis replies "I have an accent?"

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Djamila said:
You say that you're implying I'm somehow not normal. :D
I imagine somehow you aren't, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.:p It's not that I don't do it, I just don't do it here. Give me a Top Cat comic and I can hear 'em clear as day inside my head.;)

Ody

Once I get a mic back for skype you can all hear me in all my too close to the mic glory :p

XAAX

Djamila said:
The Conservative people I hear in my mind with a southern accent - and so on.
I do have a southern accent having grown up in Texas a large portion of my life, but I am as far from conservative as someone could be. I have lived all over the country and have learned to adapt my speech pattern to the people I am speaking to. So it isn't as bad as you would think...that is unless I wanted yall to ta hear it thata way...:D

jacquie4000

I usually think about what the person looks like once a hear the voice actually. And boy many times I have been way off on that one....lol. I guess because in my line of work I talk to alot of people and do business over the phone long before meeting them, so I have a picture in my head of what they should look like.