• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how many religions was he acquainted with?

9harmony

As far as I know, He only studied Islam being raised in an Islamic society. But it seems He had an innate knowledge which this quote seems to verify.

"Thou knowest full well that We perused not the books which men possess and We acquired not the learning current amongst them, and yet whenever We desire to quote the sayings of the learned and of the wise, presently there will appear before the face of thy Lord in the form of a tablet all that which hath appeared in the world and is revealed in the Holy Books and Scriptures. Thus do We set down in writing that which the eye perceiveth. Verily His knowledge encompasseth the earth and the heavens."
(Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 148)

arthra

Baha'i
Baha'u'llah was born Mirza Husayn Ali and was the son of a Vizier for the province of Nur in Mazandaran area of Persia (Iran).. He was raised as a nobleman and in that became familar with poets such as Sa'adi, Rumi, Hafiz.. He attended no formal Schools for study of the Qur'an.

Both the Bible and the Qur'an are cited in the revealed Writings as well as many Hadith attributed to Prophet Muhammad and Ali and references to prophecies in Zoroastrian tradition.

Some believe that the Dabistan by Moshan Fani was well known and it was a compilation of religious beliefs and phiosophical opinions of the East.

As Amy mentioned we Baha'is believe He had innate knowledge...

Marco19

Researcher
Hello artha

Some believe that the Dabistan by Moshan Fani was well known and it was a compilation of religious beliefs and phiosophical opinions of the East.

i didn't get it, could you explain more, who are the some believers and what are there references? and if you have some more information about Dabestan & Baha'u'llah.

Thank You!

arthra

Baha'i
Hello artha

i didn't get it, could you explain more, who are the some believers and what are there references? and if you have some more information about Dabestan & Baha'u'llah.

Thank You!

Well you can purchase the Dabistan I think on Amazon:

Oriental Literature: The Religious Beliefs, Philosophic Opinions And Social Customs Of The Nations Of The East As Contained In The Dabistan Translated From The Persian. The Dabistan Was Written In The 17th Century By Moshan Ali, A Widely Traveled Persian Scholar. It Presents An Outline Of All The Religions, Creeds And Sects Then Known To The Orient, Including Judaism And Christianity.

So it was in Persian and around since the 17th century..

Marzieh Gail in her Baha'i Glossary suggested that the "Book of Juk" could refer to the Dabistan..

To any one that hath read the book of Juk it is clear and evident how much the accounts given by the various books have differed.

~ Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 174

She wrote:

"Collection of early historical records referred to in Gl 174 probably Yoga traditions reported in such works as the Dabitanu'l-Madhahib a treatise composed in India about the middle of the 17th century."

I asked Juan Cole one time what he thought the Book of Juk referred to and he suggested it could be the Yoga Vashishta.

Last edited: