• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of the Bible have you read?

How much of the Bible have you read?

• 0% None of it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1% I've read some arguments for or against it online

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ID_Neon

I want to create some statistical threads, this one concerning Christians and the Bible.

Please vote and be heard!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I want to create some statistical threads, this one concerning Christians and the Bible.

Please vote and be heard!

Couldn't show a vote....

I've read the whole thing.
Then I started a comparison study.

As the years went by, I turned about to see what it means to other people.

It seems, as it did in the beginning.
It's not so much what you recall of scripture...as it may be...
what it did to you.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have no Idea.
I might have read it all, but I am not systematic.
I have certainly read some parts many times, But I suspect there are chunks of the Old Testament that I have skipped through rather than read thoroughly.
The Anglican Church like many churches uses the Lectionary to work through the Gospels, parts of the old Testament and Apocrypha, together with the Psalms, in a three year cycle of lessons.
How ever there are large parts of the Bible that never get touched.

I am still sometimes surprised By in service quotations, either because I am hearing them in a new context, in a new translation, or simply because I have forgotten them.

The Bible is not a novel or a text book or history, it is a very broad collection of religious scripts. It does not lend itself to a straight through reading.

There is little point in reading the Bible through as if it were a test of memory.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I have no idea either.

I've read a good portion of the OT, because I did start a devotional study. But I admit, I found it excruciating and it wasn't edifying in any way.

I've read most of the NT - all of the gospels and have utilized devotionals for my study there. The church I attended for quite a while, didn't teach from the OT at all. I highlighted and made good lists for myself of scripture to reference and study regarding certain life lessons I'd want want to go back to. It's been far to long since I've done that type of bible study.

I've poked in Proverbs and Psalms.

I like the NKJV.

Last edited:

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I couldn't participate in the poll. It confused me. But I have read the Bible thoroughly and have come back and focused in on various books and chapters over the years.

SCHIZO

I'm in the process of reading it for the 4th time. I try to read it in it's entirety, once a year, during the holidays and into the new year.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Even though i haven't completely read the Bible, I've also read works by Biblical scholars, so I think that counts for something, too.

DavyCrocket2003

I have read the entire Bible. I chose the 75% option though because I am a long way off from having "a strong comprehension." Though I think I am able to understand it in meaningful ways that help me grow closer to God and become more like Jesus Christ. Of course there is still a great deal for me to learn that will help me better understand. Particularly I would like to better understand Jewish culture and practice at the relevant times to help me read the Bible more as it would have been intended. I would also like to better understand the how translating from the Greek and Hebrew has impacted the apparent meaning of the text. These things help SO much in getting a better understanding of the Bible.

The OT is... under-appreciated in my opinion (including by me). It's easy to see why. There are vast stretches of seemingly barren ground. It is also very difficult to understand. I mean, it's from a culture that is fundamentally different from ours in almost every way. The language is archaic and translated more than once. And a lot of the material it contains seems to be more of a record of history than a source of spiritual nourishment. Yet if we can get around these barriers, we find some incredibly beautiful and profound writings. I believe that the words of Isaiah for instance are some of the most powerful and important words of scriptures and illuminate our true relationship with God and Jesus Christ. I think that my favorite "story" in all of scriptures is that of Nehemiah. And I have never, ever been as deeply moved by a testimony as I am by that borne by Job: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God." Anyway, I hope we can better get past the things that discourage us from studying the Old Testament and can really benefit from the timeless and eternal messages it contains.

Of course I'm more familiar (superficially) with the New Testament. I've read it multiple times especially the Gospels. My favorite book of scripture is John. I am blown away every time I read it. It is just such a compelling testimony of Jesus Christ. I hope that as I learn more about the New Testament (the way it was written, context, etc...) I hope I can continue to gain greater insight and appreciation. That has certainly been the result so far. Anyway, overall a great book! I would highly recommend it. Two thumbs up!