• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the media failed women in 2013

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You probably need to re read what you quoted.

I did not say negative representations of women are not more numerous than those of other demographics (maybe it is so, maybe it is not) . What I said is that MOST depictions of women to what I ve seen are not any worst than most depictions of other demographics.

I'm sure you could do something like this for other groups, and find worse depictions. If we targeted african-american women, perhaps it would be worse (no idea, just a hypothetical). Of Native American? I dunno.

I do partly agree with Kilgore too. The media will show what people want to read and consume. This applies to everything.

Yes.

Dove campaign was a success because they TOLD you what ey were doing. If they had just showed you old models for getting young adds without the "pro age" exolanation, they would have experienced a dramatic decline in sells, for example.

Quite possibly. You could see it as an extremely cynical piece of advertising, actually.

Just as workout supplementa wouldnt be smart on using anything but the buffest guys they can find, or at least the more aesthetic looking depending on what their target wants for their bodies.

I say partly agree with him though. I would love to see more involvement of women in movies and scripts and stuff. That will depend a lot on women though, but also on writter doing a CONSCIOUS attempt on this.

So, this is the thing. For me, at least, there is a complete separation between the question and thinking around whether the media portrays an overall negative stereotype of women, and what should be done about it, if anything.
One informs the other, I suppose, but they are not one and the same. I get a bit confused why the immediate reaction to a comment about negative stereotyping of women is centered around defence of the media's right to portray them in this way, justification of why they are portrayed this way, or comparison to how other demographics are portrayed. (Not aiming that at anyone in particular, just noticing that the common reaction to claims of a negative stereotype are defensive in nature).

For me, all I'm saying is that I think there is an overall negative stereotype portrayed by the media.

To quote myself...
The interesting thing for me is always trying to determine the best way forwards. How do we best remove negative stereotyping of women from mainstream media, in particular. It's complicated, which is one reason I find it interesting, and I think sometimes poorly evaluated.

One of my thoughts are that 'pro-active' actions taken to help 'fix' this can actually have a negative effect. It might be more interesting and informative to try and determine why these negative stereotypes are effective in the marketplace than to take some sort of 'big brother' style action to control them.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Because we humans promote an unrealistic standard of beauty.

For example, the most beautiful face would be oerfectly symetrical.

I dont think I need to say perfectly symetrical faces dont exist.

So the answer is simple, the socially acceptable standard of beauty is as unexistent as the "perfectly normal _____ " (family, gall, guy, marriage, sexuality, etc)

Folk sotiews talk about perfectly beautiful beings that dont exist in reality. The media is just an extension of us.

That's a good point. Another point to take into consideration is the industry that's grown up to "create" looks that match the standard of beauty like the diet industry, gyms, plastic surgery, etc. They have a vested interested in maintaining that illusion.

Also, I'm interested in why the standard of beauty has shifted from "full-figured" types to veritable twigs and so quickly. In the '50s, you had "buxom" types like Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield and that's not really the case now.

Me Myself

Back to my username
That's a good point. Another point to take into consideration is the industry that's grown up to "create" looks that match the standard of beauty like the diet industry, gyms, plastic surgery, etc. They have a vested interested in maintaining that illusion.

Also, I'm interested in why the standard of beauty has shifted from "full-figured" types to veritable twigs and so quickly. In the '50s, you had "buxom" types like Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield and that's not really the case now.

I am very interested on that too. I dont feel at all atracted to the twig bodytype, as much I wish outmust fun in sex to any woman that has it.

But now notice how this is a very different perspective that the initial one.

The induestries you talk about grew powerful because people wanted to look like that, and THEN they try to keep that power and that image as being cool and good.

Other industries would be very interested on seeing such images of sexy fall (like the mcdonalds example) but dont have the power to go against the social norm of today by their own.

They need society's support. They need consumers to "buy" the build.

Without it, it wont work, they will go broke.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm sure you could do something like this for other groups, and find worse depictions. If we targeted african-american women, perhaps it would be worse (no idea, just a hypothetical). Of Native American? I dunno.

Yes.

Quite possibly. You could see it as an extremely cynical piece of advertising, actually.

So, this is the thing. For me, at least, there is a complete separation between the question and thinking around whether the media portrays an overall negative stereotype of women, and what should be done about it, if anything.
One informs the other, I suppose, but they are not one and the same. I get a bit confused why the immediate reaction to a comment about negative stereotyping of women is centered around defence of the media's right to portray them in this way, justification of why they are portrayed this way, or comparison to how other demographics are portrayed. (Not aiming that at anyone in particular, just noticing that the common reaction to claims of a negative stereotype are defensive in nature).

For me, all I'm saying is that I think there is an overall negative stereotype portrayed by the media.

To quote myself...

One of my thoughts are that 'pro-active' actions taken to help 'fix' this can actually have a negative effect. It might be more interesting and informative to try and determine why these negative stereotypes are effective in the marketplace than to take some sort of 'big brother' style action to control them.

Well, a good understanding on how the media works and how similar or different is the way it treats women to any other demographic is crucial to the discussion, so that would be why the "defense" and the comparison with other demographics.

Legal pro activity would not be the way to go IMHO (I dont know if that is what you have in mind when you say you dont think pro activity would be good) but pro activity in practice would. Scripters and directors deliberarely creating good portrayals is the way to go IMHO.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The media are run by men and they represent women in the way the see them. Men will never look at woman as their role models... thats the truth.

We recently had our first ever female Prime minister and the murdoch media hounded her like a pack of ravenous wolves. They focused on her large backside, her clothing, her hair colour, her boyfriend...and any mention of her leadership was negative and derogatory.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
If it didnt, what you said would still be false.

As Apex said though, history screams otherwise.

putting a woman in a mans role does not change mans view of said woman.

You cant change the inner attitude of men just by sitting in their seat.

Me Myself

Back to my username
They will never look at you as a role model. At least, not with that attitude.

At least we can hope they dont look her as role model with that attitude.

I know I wont marry a woman that does not inspire me to be a better man, and that something would need to be wrong with me or our relationship if I did not managed to inspire her to be a better woman.

I am proud of the influence my mother has had in my life and I have a daughter I expect to be the best I can to be a good role model for her.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Men will never look at woman as their role models... thats the truth.

No, you are horridly, vehemently wrong. My favorite role model is my mother.

We recently had our first ever female Prime minister and the murdoch media hounded her like a pack of ravenous wolves. They focused on her large backside, her clothing, her hair colour, her boyfriend...and any mention of her leadership was negative and derogatory.

Is it just me or does Gillard got a Jodie Foster thing going on? :shrug:

Me Myself

Back to my username
putting a woman in a mans role does not change mans view of said woman.

You cant change the inner attitude of men just by sitting in their seat.

Thank god you dont believe in your own ability to influence men, truly,

I am just really sad in thinking on the poor women that might be inspired to follow your way of thinking. Really sad.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
मैत्रावरुणिः;3609416 said:
No, you are horridly, vehemently wrong. My favorite role model is my mother.

Is it just me or does Gillard got a Jodie Foster thing going on? :shrug:

no way! Jodie foster has far more respect then Julia. :D

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
no way! Jodie foster has far more respect then Julia. :D

That may be true, because I do not know one thing about Julia Gillard. I just looked her up due to the comment you made about her and her experience as a PM of Australia. The first thing that caught my eye was that there was a resemblance to Jodie Foster. So, I closed the Wikipedia Gillard webpage and came back here to state if it was just me that thinks she resembles Foster. After googling the same question...I noticed that I am not alone. Many think she looks kinda like Jodie Foster.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
मैत्रावरुणिः;3609424 said:
That may be true, because I do not know one thing about Julia Gillard. I just looked her up due to the comment you made about her and her experience as a PM of Australia. The first thing that caught my eye was that there was a resemblance to Jodie Foster. So, I closed the Wikipedia Gillard webpage and came back here to state if it was just me that thinks she resembles Foster. After googling the same question...I noticed that I am not alone. Many think she looks kinda like Jodie Foster.

i could probably see the resemblance if she had blond hair.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Feminism has becoming increasingly more blind and aggressive over the years and sadly it is over the wrong things. The opinions of females cannot be changed because as a whole I view women as exceedingly petty. Not because women are women but because the society I live in teaches women to be petty and they actually fall for it. Parents raise daughters and sons to be morons and shelter them from the benefits of right and wrong along with common sense. Religiosity has hunkered down to shelter children more while progressive values is teaching our young society to hold no boundaries and run through life like am elephant on stampede.

The complaints of feminism in regards to society has no been reduced to "men view as as petty so obviously all faults are with men". Instead of coming to the conclusion that that women are doing stupid things. If you go spinning on a stripper pole you will be treated like your moralistic values, same for any other action. Women now choose dumb men to satisfy their low self esteems. I myself get wrapped into this as well simply because of my biracial background.

If you wish to benefit society and improve female conditions in America and abroad I recommend you join NO MA'AM ;).
maamov9.jpg

Thana

Lady
Feminism has becoming increasingly more blind and aggressive over the years and sadly it is over the wrong things. The opinions of females cannot be changed because as a whole I view women as exceedingly petty. Not because women are women but because the society I live in teaches women to be petty and they actually fall for it. Parents raise daughters and sons to be morons and shelter them from the benefits of right and wrong along with common sense. Religiosity has hunkered down to shelter children more while progressive values is teaching our young society to hold no boundaries and run through life like am elephant on stampede.

The complaints of feminism in regards to society has no been reduced to "men view as as petty so obviously all faults are with men". Instead of coming to the conclusion that that women are doing stupid things. If you go spinning on a stripper pole you will be treated like your moralistic values, same for any other action. Women now choose dumb men to satisfy their low self esteems. I myself get wrapped into this as well simply because of my biracial background.

If you wish to benefit society and improve female conditions in America and abroad I recommend you join NO MA'AM ;).

Lol.

And therein lies your problem, buddy.
You're not viewing women as individuals, If you call them petty and imply that men are not.

And honestly, You've never seen a male stripper? A male on a pole? A man wearing his speedo's, A thong? Are you living in the dark ages, perhaps?

You are kind of sexist.
And you need a good shake to knock that nonsense out of your head.

I think you have a lot more to learn about the world and about women.