• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to use a magic wand?

Theweirdtophat

I was wondering if any wanted to help me learn how to use one. I just bought one but I am wondering what can I do with it exactly? I am a Druid and want to focus on healing and protection spells and rituals. Are there certain techniques I can learn? If so, what are they?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was wondering if any wanted to help me learn how to use one. I just bought one but I am wondering what can I do with it exactly? I am a Druid and want to focus on healing and protection spells and rituals. Are there certain techniques I can learn? If so, what are they?

I dont use wonds but like any other object say an athame its a source to which our energy flows through. I use incense or rattles to clear my ritual space. You can carve your ritual space with your wond. If I used a wond Id probably have an object of focus first and say a prayer while directing your prayers to what that object represents. You can also use it for yourself as a cleansing. I always say prayers with all ritual acts. Many use visualization instead or in addition to; that may help.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Learn energy work and go from there. As I've said before, I don't use wants for anything other than directing energy. Hence, one rather has to know basic energy work in order to channel it through a wand.

While I have some significant reservations about this book, it would be a good starting point. I suspect the author's moralizing won't bother you given the angle you have on these things.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Learn energy work and go from there. As I've said before, I don't use wants for anything other than directing energy. Hence, one rather has to know basic energy work in order to channel it through a wand.

While I have some significant reservations about this book, it would be a good starting point. I suspect the author's moralizing won't bother you given the angle you have on these things.

May I ask, why do you have reservations with this book? I havent read it before and dont know how energy work works or never looked into into it. I probably might but dont know hownit works. Is it visualization type of thing?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I prefer to use a magickal athame instead of a wand to focus my energy during certain rites. Such as opening gateways or blessing and energizing objects and sigils. I will point to and/or touch the object or sigil with the athame while uttering the empowering invocation or blessing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
May I ask, why do you have reservations with this book? I havent read it before and dont know how energy work works or never looked into into it. I probably might but dont know hownit works. Is it visualization type of thing?

On the whole, while what's behind the techniques is solid, the manner of presentation is problematic to me on a few accounts. Some of the procedural bits presented are superfluous, there are places where I go "that's not really quite right," and as I said earlier, it imposes way too much moralizing. While someone could easily write a superior book on energy work, as far as I'm aware, it's the only work on the market... better something than nothing, and it's not bad enough for me to suggest people avoid it entirely.

Energy work is definitely distinct from visualization. Visualization is a precursor to journeywork, not energy work. Energy work deals with the intuitive "feel" of things... terms like "auras" and "vibes" get thrown around in relation to the art. The place where visualization enters into energy work is where people "see" auras - because it is inner sight and a sort of visualization.

Theweirdtophat

I would think doing energy work helps but one can start using wands without so much practice in energy work. But I have a wand. So where exactly would I go and which book would I read if I want to start using wands. I want to use wands for healing and protection. I bought a wand with a green stone that is said to help with plant telepathy supposedly. All wands direct energy and it only make sense that different minerals would cause different effects. After all, different minerals affect our bodies and wouldn't it be logical to assume a malachite wand would act differently compared to a rose quartz wand?

How about this book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I would think doing energy work helps but one can start using wands without so much practice in energy work. But I have a wand. So where exactly would I go and which book would I read if I want to start using wands. I want to use wands for healing and protection. I bought a wand with a green stone that is said to help with plant telepathy supposedly. All wands direct energy and it only make sense that different minerals would cause different effects. After all, different minerals affect our bodies and wouldn't it be logical to assume a malachite wand would act differently compared to a rose quartz wand?

How about this book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I love rocks..so I can kinda tell you about that. Melechite I think thats it is a heavy rock. It pulls energy low not just metaphorically. Its a vocanic rock and the make up of it draws something in the human (and probably other living) bodies blood or something...something about the metal doesnt act up well with human blood or something. (Edit) thats what it is, the iron in the blood. When we loose iron we get weak. Something about that rock or maybe vocanic rocks in general messes with the iron in our blood.

So, I was told that could work well with getting sleep since to me just by holding it, I could feel something.

Quartz are lighter rocks. They are said could be used or I guess charged for anything. Maybe because it is clear, I dont know. If you look up its history and where the rock forms that can give you abetter understanding of how the energy is in the quartz you are using (rose, clear, etc). But there are a lot, I mean a lot of quartz all around the globe, soo....

This is my personal opinion about the wond. If I had a wond with say a red stone and I believed it protected me, then I can create my own ritual and regardless, the spell would work. For example, you can solve many math equations many ways to get the same answer. As long as its the answer you are looking for and you believe if not know that what you do will get you to that answer (especially if you done it before)

Anyway. Like this Kavara (red yarn around my wrist given to me at a Hindu temple). I dont believe in their goddess. I also dont believe this yarn can protect me from getting hit by a car. I do believe it protects me on a different level, I guess. It settles my mind and body so I am aware of things around me--its a correspondence. Hindu may say its a blessing from the goddess, santero says its from the orishas, I believe its a piece of string. Though we all agree the yarn protects. It works.

Use the wond how you see fit. Whatever method or ritual you come up with. If you believe and know it works in general, it wouldnt matter how you use it...just use it.

Like it doesnt matter how much I press on the gas and how I turn the wheel, I have the gas, the petal, the wheel, I use the objects and just go.

Anyway, I havent read the book. Magic can be experimentive. Depends on the path and god/s you follow. Oh, you can as your god/s too. Find out how theyd use the wond? Or if they use wonds?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

How about this book?

I recall checking out that book from a public library once and being disappointed in it. This was long enough ago that I can't remember why, however. More than likely it was because it had the characteristics that I dislike in much of the writing for the metaphysical market. :shrug:

I suggest learning energy work because first and foremost, it's one of the big three foundation skills that anyone seriously interested in composing spells or developing a ritual practice is well-served by being proficient in. I call energy work a "foundation skill" (along with meditation and journeying) because it is widely used in developing one's practice and can be applied to nearly everything one does in that practice. It's analogous to learning how to read and write as you went through public school.

To apply the relevance of this to what you want to do, you say above that you want to incorporate the use of various minerals into your craft, yes? E
nergy work is an excellent tool for developing a relationship with various minerals - it lets you sense their nature first hand and determine with your own heart and mind whether or not the spirit of the stone will work well with you for a particular usage. I'll admit some bias here - I am simply not a believer in swallowing what someone else says works for what based on blind faith. You could just pop open some random book and do what the author says in their correspondence table. But I strongly recommend getting to now the spirits of what you want to work with firsthand and developing your own practice using personal experience. To use an analogy, you can think of how you would approach getting to know a person and developing a relationship with them. Do you think that relationship will be more effective if you base it on the gossip and hearsay of others (aka, correspondence tables from some book), or if you invest a significant amount of your personal time getting to know them one-on-one? While I wouldn't say the first method can't work (gossip can have its truths, after all), over the long term, it's better to make that time investment to build a deeper relationship and deeper practice, IMHO.

Theweirdtophat

I recall checking out that book from a public library once and being disappointed in it. This was long enough ago that I can't remember why, however. More than likely it was because it had the characteristics that I dislike in much of the writing for the metaphysical market. :shrug:

I suggest learning energy work because first and foremost, it's one of the big three foundation skills that anyone seriously interested in composing spells or developing a ritual practice is well-served by being proficient in. I call energy work a "foundation skill" (along with meditation and journeying) because it is widely used in developing one's practice and can be applied to nearly everything one does in that practice. It's analogous to learning how to read and write as you went through public school.

To apply the relevance of this to what you want to do, you say above that you want to incorporate the use of various minerals into your craft, yes? E
nergy work is an excellent tool for developing a relationship with various minerals - it lets you sense their nature first hand and determine with your own heart and mind whether or not the spirit of the stone will work well with you for a particular usage. I'll admit some bias here - I am simply not a believer in swallowing what someone else says works for what based on blind faith. You could just pop open some random book and do what the author says in their correspondence table. But I strongly recommend getting to now the spirits of what you want to work with firsthand and developing your own practice using personal experience. To use an analogy, you can think of how you would approach getting to know a person and developing a relationship with them. Do you think that relationship will be more effective if you base it on the gossip and hearsay of others (aka, correspondence tables from some book), or if you invest a significant amount of your personal time getting to know them one-on-one? While I wouldn't say the first method can't work (gossip can have its truths, after all), over the long term, it's better to make that time investment to build a deeper relationship and deeper practice, IMHO.

I personally don't find that much wrong with it at least when it comes to making wands. I can check out the energy work book. But as far as spells and rituals, especially with the wand I just bought, where exactly would be a good place to use spells. Druidic nature spells to be precise. I feel like it's more appropriate anyway seeing how I practice Druidry it wouldn't make sense for me to practice Jewish or Egyptian magic. I would like to focus on healing and protection spells. It's hard to find a book or books that show or at least help you write such spells.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally don't find that much wrong with it at least when it comes to making wands. I can check out the energy work book. But as far as spells and rituals, especially with the wand I just bought, where exactly would be a good place to use spells. Druidic nature spells to be precise. I feel like it's more appropriate anyway seeing how I practice Druidry it wouldn't make sense for me to practice Jewish or Egyptian magic. I would like to focus on healing and protection spells. It's hard to find a book or books that show or at least help you write such spells.

You're not going to find works on "Druid magic" for a couple reasons. First, there is just plain not that much literature on the market specific to Druidry. Second, practicing spellcraft is not a focus of Druidry like it is in other Neopagan religions such as Wicca. I think I've said this before, but if you are looking for external materials, you would have much more success dropping the "Druid" prefix and just looking into magic/spellcraft works. Besides, spellcraft is spellcraft - once you develop foundation skills and an understanding of the metaphysical perspective you'd like to take when practicing, spells practically write themselves and you don't need external materials (though they are great for inspiration!). On the whole, the community consensus seems to be it's a better idea to write your own spells, and doing that is much easier when you have a practiced toolbox and a firm grim on your metaphysics. I suppose the long and the short of it is to remember that this is a craft - a learned skill that takes time and effort to develop. One fun thing about learning the mechanics of spells and rituals is exploring and experimenting on your own. Have you been doing any of that? It's fun!

At any rate, a couple places you could look for inspiration spell-wise? I think I've mentioned both of these works to you before, but a couple spellbooks that have a distinctly "nature" flavor to them are Scott Cunningham's "Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic" and his "Earth, Air, Fire, and Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic." I think you would really like both of these with the angle you want to take on your practice. Lastly, one can never go wrong with a massive compendium like Judith Illes "The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells." There is some informational stuff smattered throughout, but also pretty much anything you could want to look for using techniques grounded in a wide variety of traditions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My tid bit, start from the general then work to the specific. Maybe @Quintessence can correct me on this, but maybe Druid use candles just as almost every other religion and path. So, puting candles in your routine may help. Energy work, if Im translating it right, is universal. Intentions in prayer, ritual, and so forth are just called different names for the mind willing and wanting X or asking for help in Y or whatever. So, finding your Goal or define what you see in the words Druid, magic, spells, wouls help narrow down what you put in your practice.

Almost every other religion has some form of "prayer." It could be a incantation or talking to one deity/ies. So developing a prayer (it doesnt have to be abrahamic structured. Just communication) routine may help. That, and you can do prayers on the go.

Like Quin said, maybe change the prefix Druid. Many wiccans ans neopagans use wonds (not saying others dont) just some traditions and folk practices dont use wonds and the manner we use rocks and natural objects are somewhat different than a neopagan may use it. Not bad. Different.

Not saying dont look at Druidry. Just start "creating the basics yourself" and once you get a foundation, THEN explore with other spells. By then you know what you are comfortable with instead of trying out 1,000 spells because they are under the spell category.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The thing with Druidry is that it is non-dogmatic, so... there's no official doctrine that says "thou shalt use candles in your spells and rituals!" But we do. At least with respect to the OBOD rituals I've learned over the past year, there are indeed candles. :D

If we're talking prayer, there is actually an excellent book for developing that. There's also this book, which is on my list of books to buy, even though I probably don't need it at this point... I want to read it to see if it'd be a good recommendation for others.

Theweirdtophat

You're not going to find works on "Druid magic" for a couple reasons. First, there is just plain not that much literature on the market specific to Druidry. Second, practicing spellcraft is not a focus of Druidry like it is in other Neopagan religions such as Wicca. I think I've said this before, but if you are looking for external materials, you would have much more success dropping the "Druid" prefix and just looking into magic/spellcraft works. Besides, spellcraft is spellcraft - once you develop foundation skills and an understanding of the metaphysical perspective you'd like to take when practicing, spells practically write themselves and you don't need external materials (though they are great for inspiration!). On the whole, the community consensus seems to be it's a better idea to write your own spells, and doing that is much easier when you have a practiced toolbox and a firm grim on your metaphysics. I suppose the long and the short of it is to remember that this is a craft - a learned skill that takes time and effort to develop. One fun thing about learning the mechanics of spells and rituals is exploring and experimenting on your own. Have you been doing any of that? It's fun!

At any rate, a couple places you could look for inspiration spell-wise? I think I've mentioned both of these works to you before, but a couple spellbooks that have a distinctly "nature" flavor to them are Scott Cunningham's "Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic" and his "Earth, Air, Fire, and Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic." I think you would really like both of these with the angle you want to take on your practice. Lastly, one can never go wrong with a massive compendium like Judith Illes "The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells." There is some informational stuff smattered throughout, but also pretty much anything you could want to look for using techniques grounded in a wide variety of traditions.

I agree with some things and really there's a rhyme and reason behind it. Even with something as different as celtic and egyptian magic, they follow a similar routine at least when it comes to making spells. I wanted to do energy work, than look at other spells and then finally make my own spells. But I was worried because I wasn't sure how one MAKES a spell? How can you make it and how do you know it will work? Plus I didn't want to risk messing around with these forces if I didn't fully understand. I hear there are books on how to make your own spells but I haven't found too many. If you know any, it is always appreciated. :)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
For directing energy, I'd use the athame/sword for discernment (cutting down) via logic/reason (air,) while I'd use a wand to spread/expand emotional motivation (enthusiasm or fear) via fire.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
But I was worried because I wasn't sure how one MAKES a spell? How can you make it and how do you know it will work? Plus I didn't want to risk messing around with these forces if I didn't fully understand.

I can understand the hesitation. You can certainly draw upon the experiences of others for guidance, and reading/listening widely is something I think is a good idea. Alongside that, at some point you have to start doing stuff, because these things are fundamentally experiential (and it's how you learn what works). If you're able, bounce ideas off others who practice as you go along. At the end of the day, though, the practice you cultivate becomes your own thing, unless you join some group that has specific, set standards.

Personally, I find the "dangers" of spellcraft to be overstated. Like the "real" world, where you really don't face much danger of randomly being caught in a drive by shooting or some other unfortunate event, it's the same when it comes to this stuff.

I hear there are books on how to make your own spells but I haven't found too many. If you know any, it is always appreciated. :)

There are many possible resources for that, both online and in books. I've always liked Patti Wigington's pages on about.com, and she has one on that topic here. The books I already mentioned may have sections about this somewhere, but it's been a while since I've read them. There are various other books on the market about it, but I haven't been keeping up with those types of publications for a while. Once you develop your own system, you grow more disinterested in reading other people's writing about things. :sweat:
The guidelines I wrote up for my own Book of Shadows were this:
  • Determine the goal
  • Assess which type(s) of spellcraft the goal falls under
  • Determine which metaphysical principles you wish to use to reach the goal
  • Select a method appropriate for the goal that makes use of desired principles
  • Obtain and prepare spell components, including writing incantations
  • Know your materials and methods
  • Practice the method if a novice
Not that dissimilar to what Patti writes, all things considered.

Theweirdtophat

I can understand the hesitation. You can certainly draw upon the experiences of others for guidance, and reading/listening widely is something I think is a good idea. Alongside that, at some point you have to start doing stuff, because these things are fundamentally experiential (and it's how you learn what works). If you're able, bounce ideas off others who practice as you go along. At the end of the day, though, the practice you cultivate becomes your own thing, unless you join some group that has specific, set standards.

Personally, I find the "dangers" of spellcraft to be overstated. Like the "real" world, where you really don't face much danger of randomly being caught in a drive by shooting or some other unfortunate event, it's the same when it comes to this stuff.

There are many possible resources for that, both online and in books. I've always liked Patti Wigington's pages on about.com, and she has one on that topic here. The books I already mentioned may have sections about this somewhere, but it's been a while since I've read them. There are various other books on the market about it, but I haven't been keeping up with those types of publications for a while. Once you develop your own system, you grow more disinterested in reading other people's writing about things. :sweat:
The guidelines I wrote up for my own Book of Shadows were this:

• Determine the goal
    • Assess which type(s) of spellcraft the goal falls under
    • Determine which metaphysical principles you wish to use to reach the goal
    • Select a method appropriate for the goal that makes use of desired principles
    • Obtain and prepare spell components, including writing incantations
    • Know your materials and methods
    • Practice the method if a novice
Not that dissimilar to what Patti writes, all things considered.

Good stuff to know for sure. I am wondering that by describing my wand, would that help? It's a think red oak wand with copper wire wrapped around moss agate which I hear it good for plant communication, healing and protection and wondered if you were familiar with it or spells associated with it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Could I look up traditional lore from random correspondence tables I have access to that aren't really cited or sourced? Sure. That's not what I tend to do in my practice, though; I use my knowledge about the materials and work with it more directly.

Take copper. I ask what I know about copper (and if it's very little, I research it). Off the top of my head, I know that copper is an excellent conductor of electricity, which makes it a very appropriate component for a wand (which is mostly used to direct energy). Do the same thing with the agate. In terms of the chemical structure (SiO2, or silicon dioxide), an agate has the same composition as quartz does. It comes in all colors of the rainbow, and are typically created within volcanic rocks. Agates have a high hardness, no cleavage, tend to be waxy in luster, fracture with sharp edges. A variety of correspondences can come from that, but in general, it speaks Earth of Earth off the cuff to me.
Then there's the wood. Oak trees are associated with lightning in various folklore, and IIRC, there is scientific evidence that they are struck by lightning more often than other genus groups. From this, I can link the tree to anything that lightning represents to me, such as inspiration and misfortune, but also to protection (because its propensity for being struck means other trees are saved). Q. rubra also tends to grow on uplands and slopes, giving it a sort of 'elevated' status.
Q. rubra and similar canopy oaks in the woodlands around my state are "keystone" species in those forest communities, meaning they support lots of other wildlife and define an ecosystem. Thus, I could link them to prosperity and stability, Earth Element qualities.

All the above is what I mean when I said "know your materials" in the summary earlier. If you know the materials, the methods write themselves. It's like cooking. If you know what garlic does, you can use it in any recipe with ease (provided you also know some cooking techniques). You can read books about food, learn from other chefs, and at some point, you've just got to chop some garlic yourself.

Mmm... garlic...